Tyrone v Armagh - Ulster Championship 2009

Started by Kerry Mike, October 08, 2008, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Find this one pretty much impossible to call. With Tyrone over the past few years so much depends on the fitness of key players and the mood inside the panel. I dont think of any of us were particularly confident about further progress after the Down match last summer and yet the word is that the panel very quickly regrouped after that and felt they could still go on and do big things over the summer. Whats the feeling in the panel at the moment?

Ultimately any kind of win tomorrow is a good result, a scrappy 1-7 to 0-9 would do nicely. Most worrying thing for me is how do I follow it, cant get BBC NI here and dont have internet access at home right now so an expensive afternoon in an internet cafe lies head.

bigpaul

TKDTKD

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on May 29, 2009, 01:34:05 PM
Dont know if it has been posted yet, not reading back through pages of the thread but see below Tyrone minor teal for Sunday:

1 Niall Morgan Edendork
2 Shea McGarrity Cookstown
3 Ronan McNamee Aghyaran
4 Declan Connolly Augher
5 Colin Hicks                 Glenelly
6 Danny Gorman Killyclogher
7 Tiernan McCann Killyclogher
8 Sean Warnock Greencastle
9 Mark Faloon Donaghmore
10 Liam Gervin                 Derrylaughan
11 Barry Tierney Omagh
12 Brian McGarvey Gortin
13 Niall Gavin                 Derrytresk
14 Ronan O'Neill Omagh
15 John McCullagh Greencastle
16 Ryan Clarke                 Omagh
17 Thomas Canavan Errigal Ciaran
18 Michael Donaghy Carrickmore
19 Harry Og Conlon Edendork
20 Richard Donnelly Trillick
21 Caolan Daly                 Carrickmore
22 Peter Mallon Moy
23 Shay McGuigan  Ardboe
24 Dermot Thornton Coalisland
25 Conan Grugan Omagh

I hear Ard Mhacha have a pretty strong minor team as well so it should be a good game this one if you want to get up to Clones for the 1215hrs throw in  :)

anybody know anything about the brian mcgarvey fellow
pretty sure he's my cousins boy
what kind of a player is he?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Low key build up on here and in genereal really it seems. First round of the Championship is always something to look forward to though. Would be hopeful of a good display from the minors.

As far as the seniors are concerned, there's little reason for us to be particularly optimistic. Paddy Power have Tyrone at 4/9 and Armagh at 5/2 and that's probably a realistic enough appraisal. Both teams had similar enough records in the NFL but Tyrone's was at a higher level. 13/14 of Tyrone's starting 15 have started and won an All Ireland final (has Penrose?) and many have started 2 or 3, only 4 of Armagh's team started in 2003 and only 2 in 2002. Tyrone's side is littered All Stars whereas ours isn't really and of course, Tyrone are the reigning All Ireland champions having hammered the side that put us out last year along the way.

That said, in ways Armagh are in the perfect position, expectations in the county are as low as they've been in a decade and the younger players have a chance to step out of the shadow of their illustrious predecessors. And any team with Ronan Clarke and Steven McDonnell in it always has a chance of beating anybody. I'm happy enough with the team picked and I think we have a mobility throughout the side which we've lacked in recent years. Hopefully we play with a bit of bravery and don't suck too many men back defensively. If we're to win, its our full forward line that will do it for us and we need to be providing them with enough possession and support to give them a chance. I'd like to see either Paul Duffy or Aaron Kernan playing as a genuine forward. Clearly Marty O'Rourke will be employed around midfield to win breaking ball and one of the full forwards is likely to drop deeper (maybe Stevie based on the league) but I don't want to see us playing with 7 or 8 defenders. Need a big game from our two midfielders - particularly Lavery who has an unexpected opportunity to show us his potential.

Obviously Tyrone have a hell of a forward line and its going to be very difficult to contain them. be interesting to see who picks up Cavanagh. At the start of the year, I thought Ciaran might man mark Stevie O'Neill but given O'Neill's problems this year and the fact that he's unlikely to be at full pelt, Ciaran may be put on Cavanagh. Its a hell of an imposing half back and full forward line Tyrone have and unfortunately I think they are in direct opposition to our weakest lines.

Armagh have a chance if every man hits nearly top form although I'd be a bit more confident if Charlie hadn't been injured. Think we'll be competitive for a good portion of the game but that Tyrone will pull away towards the end by 4 or so. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bigpaul

Just about the best preview of the game I have seen Tacadoir.

cadhlancian

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 31, 2009, 12:43:10 AM
Low key build up on here and in genereal really it seems. First round of the Championship is always something to look forward to though. Would be hopeful of a good display from the minors.

As far as the seniors are concerned, there's little reason for us to be particularly optimistic. Paddy Power have Tyrone at 4/9 and Armagh at 5/2 and that's probably a realistic enough appraisal. Both teams had similar enough records in the NFL but Tyrone's was at a higher level. 13/14 of Tyrone's starting 15 have started and won an All Ireland final (has Penrose?) and many have started 2 or 3, only 4 of Armagh's team started in 2003 and only 2 in 2002. Tyrone's side is littered All Stars whereas ours isn't really and of course, Tyrone are the reigning All Ireland champions having hammered the side that put us out last year along the way.

That said, in ways Armagh are in the perfect position, expectations in the county are as low as they've been in a decade and the younger players have a chance to step out of the shadow of their illustrious predecessors. And any team with Ronan Clarke and Steven McDonnell in it always has a chance of beating anybody. I'm happy enough with the team picked and I think we have a mobility throughout the side which we've lacked in recent years. Hopefully we play with a bit of bravery and don't suck too many men back defensively. If we're to win, its our full forward line that will do it for us and we need to be providing them with enough possession and support to give them a chance. I'd like to see either Paul Duffy or Aaron Kernan playing as a genuine forward. Clearly Marty O'Rourke will be employed around midfield to win breaking ball and one of the full forwards is likely to drop deeper (maybe Stevie based on the league) but I don't want to see us playing with 7 or 8 defenders. Need a big game from our two midfielders - particularly Lavery who has an unexpected opportunity to show us his potential.

Obviously Tyrone have a hell of a forward line and its going to be very difficult to contain them. be interesting to see who picks up Cavanagh. At the start of the year, I thought Ciaran might man mark Stevie O'Neill but given O'Neill's problems this year and the fact that he's unlikely to be at full pelt, Ciaran may be put on Cavanagh. Its a hell of an imposing half back and full forward line Tyrone have and unfortunately I think they are in direct opposition to our weakest lines.

Armagh have a chance if every man hits nearly top form although I'd be a bit more confident if Charlie hadn't been injured. Think we'll be competitive for a good portion of the game but that Tyrone will pull away towards the end by 4 or so. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though!
started last years final

mackers

If McKenna starts ahead of Lavery then we have as mobile a unit as Armagh has lined out in some time, as you say TAM McDonnell will come out to the HF line with Brian Mallon probably the man to join Clarke in the FF line. We can't allow a replay of the Wexford game where our two best players are left scratching themselves at one end of the field. MOR will have a big part to play as I can't see too much clean catching in a mass of players in midfield.
Always the optimist I expect us to give Tyrone a damn good rattle!!! Ard Mhacha Abu!!!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

aroundincircles

Rocky Mc Guigan

Yes I Would

Trevor Hill

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 31, 2009, 12:43:10 AM
Low key build up on here and in genereal really it seems.

68 pages before a ball is kicked is low key?
The Ulster Championship begins today after 2 false starts, I think we could have the first shock of the championship with Armagh just shading a very tight game.

Our Nail Loney

I can't see Armagh shading this myself, Tyrone by four...

Tyrone Minors to complete the double also...

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?