Tyrone v Armagh - Ulster Championship 2009

Started by Kerry Mike, October 08, 2008, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on May 29, 2009, 12:23:52 PM
Anyone know of any pubs, hotels, etc.. in Dubrovnik, Croatia that will be showing this game on Sunday?

Here's a spot for you Ziggy, you lucky barsteward:

Katie O'Connors, Dubrovnik
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

I see a Canavan from Errigal, a McGuigan from Ardboe & Thornton from the Island?
Are these all relations of past or current players?

loughshore lad

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 29, 2009, 02:03:00 PM
I see a Canavan from Errigal, a McGuigan from Ardboe & Thornton from the Island?
Are these all relations of past or current players?

Dont know about the Canavan but Shea McGuigan is a brother of Brian and Tommy while dermot Thornton is Richard Thornton's younger brother.

longball

So what would all Tyrone 'fans' take if given the choice:

Absolute classic game, one that everyone will be talking about both forward lines on fire scoring points from play and Tyrone lose by a point

OR

Dyer of a game, Tyrone win by 3. Not much football playing more handbags than anything. Basically comes down to frees to win the game
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

ziggysego

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 29, 2009, 12:47:55 PM
Anyone know of any pubs, hotels, etc.. in Dubrovnik, Croatia that will be showing this game on Sunday?

Here's a spot for you Ziggy, you lucky barsteward:

Katie O'Connors, Dubrovnik

Cheers FoSB
Testing Accessibility

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: longball on May 29, 2009, 02:52:36 PM
So what would all Tyrone 'fans' take if given the choice:

Absolute classic game, one that everyone will be talking about both forward lines on fire scoring points from play and Tyrone lose by a point

OR

Dyer of a game, Tyrone win by 3. Not much football playing more handbags than anything. Basically comes down to frees to win the game

Why would any Tyrone fan chose the first one?

Fuzzman

I'm with Pete McGrath. I'd rather play great attackiing football and lose than play to a negative system.

1.18 to 1.12 to Tyrone

Stevie O'Neill Man of the match

Speaking of systems. lets count how many times Brolly says the word system on Sunday.
Spillane loves it.

omagh_gael

Was there two years ago, watched a couple of games in samuel becketts in lapad in Dubrovnik, run by a couple from Dublin. It was a great spot. Also had a traditional Irish band from Latvia playin, not too many of them about!

charlie stubbs

Quote from: corn02 on May 27, 2009, 10:27:18 PM
Quote from: eireogatron on May 27, 2009, 03:43:46 PM
finn Mo, although unimpressive thus far in the corner in 09, actually played good stuff on the wing. He's more of a threat than Shannon - who I think looks like he's running in quicksand at times - and is a far better option in this position,

Can't agree with that to be honest. Shannon is a better half back than corner back and has been superb in that role for Driomintee winning club player of the year a few years back when Cross won the Championship.

So, no, I disagree that he is a "far better option", i don;t even think he is a better option, but then again I have only seen a bit of Finn in half back so I can;'t be sure while you seem to have made your mind up without seeing Shannon in half back.

Played afew games this year at 7 for us done well.havent saw 2 much of shannon 2b honest but glad finn not in corner

clarshack

is row z in pat mcgrane stand at the top or bottom?

ExiledGael

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 29, 2009, 03:26:35 PM
I'm with Pete McGrath. I'd rather play great attackiing football and lose than play to a negative system.

1.18 to 1.12 to Tyrone

Speaking of systems. lets count how many times Brolly says the word system on Sunday.
Spillane loves it.

At least he's making a valid observation rather than Spillane's "players just don't know how to kick a ball any more" and "they should have done more shooting practice". Whether Spillane likes it or not that's what the modern game is often about and that's what makes it so hard to shake off seven men to kick a point or pick out a long pass to an outnumbered corner-forward.
And there's still not as many turnovers through mistakes and hopeful long punts as there was in his day.

You'd imagine row z is further back. What's the chances of picking up a ticket in Clones on Sunday for the Hill?

mountainboii

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 29, 2009, 09:02:41 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 29, 2009, 03:26:35 PM

1.18 to 1.12 to Tyrone

Spillane loves it.

At least he's making a valid observation rather than Spillane's "players just don't know how to kick a ball any more" and "they should have done more shooting practice". Whether Spillane likes it or not that's what the modern game is often about and that's what makes it so hard to shake off seven men to kick a point or pick out a long pass to an outnumbered corner-forward.
And there's still not as many turnovers through mistakes and hopeful long punts as there was in his day.

You'd imagine row z is further back. What's the chances of picking up a ticket in Clones on Sunday for the Hill?

There'll be no more than 25000 there, so you should have no problem. But knowing the way the GAA run things, I not so sure...

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on May 29, 2009, 01:34:05 PM
Dont know if it has been posted yet, not reading back through pages of the thread but see below Tyrone minor teal for Sunday:

1   Niall Morgan   Edendork
2   Shea McGarrity   Cookstown
3   Ronan McNamee   Aghyaran
4   Declan Connolly   Augher
5   Colin Hicks                   Glenelly
6   Danny Gorman   Killyclogher
7   Tiernan McCann   Killyclogher
8   Sean Warnock   Greencastle
9   Mark Faloon   Donaghmore
10   Liam Gervin                   Derrylaughan
11   Barry Tierney   Omagh
12   Brian McGarvey   Gortin
13   Niall Gavin                   Derrytresk
14   Ronan O'Neill   Omagh
15   John McCullagh   Greencastle
16   Ryan Clarke                   Omagh
17   Thomas Canavan   Errigal Ciaran
18   Michael Donaghy   Carrickmore
19   Harry Og Conlon   Edendork
20   Richard Donnelly   Trillick
21   Caolan Daly                   Carrickmore
22   Peter Mallon   Moy
23   Shay McGuigan    Ardboe
24   Dermot Thornton   Coalisland
25   Conan Grugan   Omagh

I hear Ard Mhacha have a pretty strong minor team as well so it should be a good game this one if you want to get up to Clones for the 1215hrs throw in  :)

What's young McCullagh like Ziggy? I see he got 8 or 9 points v Urney in the Championship last week... at 16yo.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

gerry

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 29, 2009, 10:44:24 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on May 29, 2009, 01:34:05 PM
Dont know if it has been posted yet, not reading back through pages of the thread but see below Tyrone minor teal for Sunday:

1   Niall Morgan   Edendork
2   Shea McGarrity   Cookstown
3   Ronan McNamee   Aghyaran
4   Declan Connolly   Augher
5   Colin Hicks                   Glenelly
6   Danny Gorman   Killyclogher
7   Tiernan McCann   Killyclogher
8   Sean Warnock   Greencastle
9   Mark Faloon   Donaghmore
10   Liam Gervin                   Derrylaughan
11   Barry Tierney   Omagh
12   Brian McGarvey   Gortin
13   Niall Gavin                   Derrytresk
14   Ronan O'Neill   Omagh
15   John McCullagh   Greencastle
16   Ryan Clarke                   Omagh
17   Thomas Canavan   Errigal Ciaran
18   Michael Donaghy   Carrickmore
19   Harry Og Conlon   Edendork
20   Richard Donnelly   Trillick
21   Caolan Daly                   Carrickmore
22   Peter Mallon   Moy
23   Shay McGuigan    Ardboe
24   Dermot Thornton   Coalisland
25   Conan Grugan   Omagh

I hear Ard Mhacha have a pretty strong minor team as well so it should be a good game this one if you want to get up to Clones for the 1215hrs throw in  :)

What's young McCullagh like Ziggy? I see he got 8 or 9 points v Urney in the Championship last week... at 16yo.

i was speaking to a greencastle man last night and he was telling he is a start of the future, lets hope so
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

rrhf

1987 and Irvinestown rocks to the news that the finest Ulster team of the decade had crumbled to perma rivals lowly Armagh in the semifinal of the Ulster championship.  Eventually Derry took Ulster that year and there was nothing special about them but they were good enough to beat the team that put 5 past Tyrone only 9 months after they should have ended the golden years of a golden Kerry team.  What logic?
1989 and Tyrone were gone! - 9 points down at half time and heading out of the Ulster championship, cue Paul Grimley bursting John Lynch in the tunnel and Armagh werent for being let out of Omagh alive - well football wise anyway!  Tyrone murdered their challenge in the second half and defied the impossibility of the acquired lead.
Step forward to 1990 and 91 Armagh were going nowhere and Tyrone were well ahead in transition with names such as Cush and Canavan  leading the  challenge,  Armagh had very little on their teamsheet - Tyrone youngsters didnt count - Armagh pummelled them.
Then we had 1997 and as Jarleth Burns gave the finest midfield exhibition of his era Tyrone defeated a team who had 70 % hard earned possession and 90 % wastage statistics. Crazy win...
The current era probably began in 2002 and an impossible miss by Richard Thornton probably cost Tyrone (the league champions) an All Ireland, cost a management team their jobs, cost Thornton a future with Tyrone and probably won Armagh an All Ireland.  In 2003 logic held firm whilst in 2005 Armagh won a game they should have lost and Tyrone won a game they shouldnt have.  
By 2009 Tyrone have a small bagful of all ireland medals gathered; armagh have a small shedful of Ulster medals accumulated within a golden era for both teams, Tyrone will feel they are the better team, Armagh will feel they are as good as Tyrone on any given day.  
So where are Tyrone leading in to this game - the league showed they hadnt been training that hard and that they were average and outside top 4 form. They have named a team full of talent all being fit and well and should be well motivated by the sight of the orange jersey, so Sunday could well indicate what Tyrone potentially can do this year. Tyrone normally start at 75% power - I suspect they will be at 85 - 90 % of the finished product tomorrow.  
Armagh were awful in the league but have new blood in and have had either had a clever 2 weeks PR work behind them leaving them snorkling under the radar or they really are in dire straits.  If you believe the former and take in their proud tradition in games like this, then like myself you will believe Armagh will defy all preconceived logics and take Tyrone to the pin of the coller tomorrow and aftyer the jousting and the battle a draw is probaly fairly logical, with extra time sorting out merely  who proceeds down the Ulster route.  Tyrone V Armagh is important to the fans, the teams and the managers - its more important than the provincial title, if you can understand the logic in that.  After tomorrow the Ulster championship will be an anticlimax to all bar Derry and Fermanagh.    
Tir eoghain Abu!!!!