Which was the luckiest All-Ireland win?

Started by under the bar, October 03, 2008, 12:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puskas

Zapatista

nrico2006

QuoteFeckin right.  We got our paws on him first matee, and there's feck all you can do about it.

Unbelievable, who wins it first is of less importance than multiple wins.  I'm sure Kerry are still hurting from Limerick getting their hands on Sam first.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cornafean

We in Cavan don't even bother competing at the top level anymore as we were the first county in Ulster to win it. Nobody can beat us on that, so we are the greatest  ::)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Armamike

Quote from: cornafean on October 06, 2008, 09:24:22 AM
We in Cavan don't even bother competing at the top level anymore as we were the first county in Ulster to win it. Nobody can beat us on that, so we are the greatest  ::)

You obviously don't understand the Tyrone-Armagh mindset and psychology on these matters. The fact that Armagh won it first led to major upheaval in the the peat bog county as evidenced by the execution style treatment of McKenna and McCrory - two of the most loyal servants to Tyrone football over the years.
That's just, like your opinion man.

nrico2006

QuoteYou obviously don't understand the Tyrone-Armagh mindset and psychology on these matters. The fact that Armagh won it first led to major upheaval in the the peat bog county as evidenced by the execution style treatment of McKenna and McCrory - two of the most loyal servants to Tyrone football over the years.

I would say Sligo had more to do with it than Armaghs win.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

under the bar

The fact that Armagh won it first led to major upheaval in the the peat bog county as evidenced by the execution style treatment of McKenna and McCrory - two of the most loyal servants to Tyrone football over the years.

Tyrone county board had the foresight to understand that a change was needed, not just to win a single all-ireland, but make history & achieve greatness with the plethora of talent coming through.   

Unfortunately for the Armagh county board they could not see the limitations of the manager in place and let him lumber on well beyond his sell-by date and decide the timing of his own exit long after the players were past their best.  It's claimed that they even allowed him to dictate who his sucessor would be, disqualifiying the preferred candidate due to a personal grudge!

southsidejohnny

Ah old Sligonian from the home of the Father Ted cup and the rackard cup shows his complex of 100 years plus of being slaughtered by Mayo. As micky harte says at least Mayo make finals on a regular basis...whence Sligo..oh I forgot they made a semi final in the minors back in 1968..wow.

Kerry Mike

QuoteI'm sure Kerry are still hurting from Limerick getting their hands on Sam first.

They won the All Ireland before us but not Sam, for Mr Samuel Maguire was only given out for the first time, 41 years after Limerick won it in 1887  ;)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Puckoon

Just as an aside, should a great "play" for want of borrowing a better term from US sports such as Conor Gormleys block - get lumped in with luck?

Tyrone would have been lucky that day if Stevie McDonnell had have been straight through, and missed the goal all by himself.

No?

Over the Bar

QuoteThey won the All Ireland before us but not Sam, for Mr Samuel Maguire was only given out for the first time, 41 years after Limerick won it in 1887

Were Kildare the first team to lift Sam?  If so they will be rightly annoyed by Armagh people claiming they "won it first", when in fact they were no.  22 or whatever.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Puckoon on October 07, 2008, 05:23:43 AM
Just as an aside, should a great "play" for want of borrowing a better term from US sports such as Conor Gormleys block - get lumped in with luck?

Tyrone would have been lucky that day if Stevie McDonnell had have been straight through, and missed the goal all by himself.

No?

Because moments before the block, Gormley fouled an Armagh man going through. Referee Brian White took out his notebook, realised he had already booked the Tyrone man and promptly returned the book to his pocket. The luck involved in this particular incident is that when he made the block, Gormley should have been sitting in the stand.

No?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

tyronefan

Kildare were the last team to win the All Ireland before The Sam  and the first team to win Sam. They won 2 All Irelands in a row 1927 and 1928

red hander

Quote from: puskas on October 05, 2008, 11:08:51 PM
whatever about cold crumbs of comfort it's increasingly obvious that the cold fact of Armagh getting there first is a thorn in the side, a pebble in the shoe if you like for tyrone people. unfortunately for them, one that can never be changed. unlike a Sam count.

Very true Puskas, very true ... but you know what would be even more annoying? Yep, being beaten by Armagh in an All-Ireland final ... I don't know how any Tyrone person would ever get over a trauma such as that :D

Over the Bar

QuoteVery true Puskas, very true ... but you know what would be even more annoying? Yep, being beaten by Armagh in an All-Ireland final ... I don't know how any Tyrone person would ever get over a trauma such as that

That would be unbearable, even when you have racked up 3 all-irelands in 6 years!