Which was the luckiest All-Ireland win?

Started by under the bar, October 03, 2008, 12:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I won an All-Ireland piping competition in the early 90s. I had no opposition in the Tyrone and Ulster heats. In the All-Ireland I had 4, two of whom were yanks. I'd call that a relatively lucky Al-Ireland.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Uladh

I wouldn't call it an all ireland. more like an intercontinental tournament

Farrandeelin

I would love if Mayo were lucky. I probably will be a fair age (maybe dead) before we can say Mayo had a lucky All-Ireland win... :(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

Never thought of it like that. World Champion.

The following year I took the Tyrone heat again, with the other 2 competitors finishing joint second, ensuring all 3 progressed. In the Ulsters the three of us met again and I finished 3rd and was eliminated. No back door then. Never really recovered from that. Starting drinking Westcoast Coolers outside Clubland.

The GAA

Intercontinental titles are a sort of tommy murphy cup version of the world title. none of the main men are in it... its the sort of world title that bernard dunne will be boxing for

Bogball XV

Quote from: Down Gael on October 04, 2008, 09:15:08 AMI remember feeling sorry for Tony Davies that night on the Sunday Game.
I feel sorry every time I see him on The Sunday Game :D

Best answer so far, Fearon, brilliant (and like all good humour, it has that bit of reality) ;)

gorm agus bui

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2008, 02:10:55 PM
Tyrone's one All Ireland and two back doors were undoubtedly gained on the back ot outrageous slices of good fortune.

2003 - Gormley's lucky block, Marsden's unjust sending off,not to mention Down throwing away a huge lead in that year's Ulster Final and indeed Derry almost winning the Ulster quarter final tie.

2005- Should never even have been in the Final (in which the Gooch's eye was deliberately dislocated) and wouldn't have been only for an unjust penalty in the semi final and an outrageous free kick award by Russell in the last minute acting under pressure to make up for 1995.

2008 -fluke goal (would have been cleared had a Kerry defender not lost his footing) and Mc Connell admitted in the paper last week that he knew nothing about the save he made from O'Sullivan late on, he had dived the wrong way the ball hit his foot because he is a lanky big drip.

Luck on an unprecedented scale
And if my granny had balls she would have been my granda

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on October 04, 2008, 10:17:18 PM
You're joking. I hope you are still appealing it. Reminds me of the time I was nearly banned from taking part in the All Ireland handball semis because of the foot and mouth outbreak. 'Twas being held in Clare and they reckoned that it'd be safer if northern competitors didn't come down. Anyway, they gave me the date and I land down. Some aul boy tells me it was moved back a week. Arrived down the second week, bate out the gate. Herds of cattle culled. Take that, yis b**tards.

Yes, the excitement around West Belfast was quite palpable at that time. I remember your da wearing handball goggles for a week as a gesture of support leading up to the final. We'd organised a bus to go down but got as far as the Whitefort.

ONeill

Yes it was a big disappointment for many and, for some, obliterated the chance of raised self-esteem for the people of West Belfast. Some saw it as a chance to put the West on the map especially with Rogan's fight against Audley Harrison getting gased and the Busy Bee demolition and Casement getting taken over by phon-a-cab or something. I remember your name being sprayed on a wall in Finaghy and it wasn't pretty. Something like 'Hardstation's a granny-feeler' or along those lines or it might have been 'touts out'. Support turned violent and you don't know that half of it.

under the bar

QuoteLads, get down and pray to Allah every night for the rest of your lives and give thanks that Armagh won it before ye's in 2002.

I'm led to belive that most Armagh thank Allah every nite that they managed to spawn one in 2002 before Tyrone went on their Sam collecting spree.   Life would be even more unbearable if that cold crumb of comfort wern't available to distract from the fact that their legendary neighbours on either side have collected 8 Sams between them....

puskas

whatever about cold crumbs of comfort it's increasingly obvious that the cold fact of Armagh getting there first is a thorn in the side, a pebble in the shoe if you like for tyrone people. unfortunately for them, one that can never be changed. unlike a Sam count.

Sideshow Bob

One pebble in a very big shoe, you`d hardly notice it  ;)

Armamike

Quote from: under the bar on October 05, 2008, 06:13:35 PM
QuoteLads, get down and pray to Allah every night for the rest of your lives and give thanks that Armagh won it before ye's in 2002.

I'm led to belive that most Armagh thank Allah every nite that they managed to spawn one in 2002 before Tyrone went on their Sam collecting spree.   

Feckin right.  We got our paws on him first matee, and there's feck all you can do about it.
That's just, like your opinion man.

puskas

tyrone people, be thankful for and enjoy temporary but sadly fleeting glory, dwell not on the permanence of Armagh winning it first.

reddgnhand

Quote from: puskas on October 05, 2008, 11:22:56 PM
tyrone people, be thankful for and enjoy temporary but sadly fleeting glory, dwell not on the permanence of Armagh winning it first.

Why when does it end. Can you get them 2002 jerseys from retro ?