DUBLIN v TYRONE JANUARY 2009 CROKE PARK

Started by Canalman, September 29, 2008, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Nakata

I think everyone has summed up last night's spectacle perfectly. I'd just like to talk about some weaknesses from our performance last night. Devine's handling I thought was excellent. His kickouts on the other hand shocking. Justy as a previous poster mentioned had a tough night. I think he really suits marking a big target man instead of a runner. I remember a Down speedster giving him trouble at the marshes last July. In saying that if block was playing I think he would have been given more protection as Ricey is much more adventurous. Davy I thought was poor and Enda couldn't get into it at all. Cassidy rose like a salmon to fetch 2 wonder balls, yet I thought some of his hand passing led to possession being lost. This will improve with confidence and games though. Joe Mc Mahon put in a great shift and Swift, Ricey, Jordan were excellent as well. McGee had a big job to do and I thought he done ok. Cavanagh done the business when required after making a couple of mental fumbles and O'Neill was leaving us staring at each other in disbelief throughout the game. Would love to watch the full 72 minutes again on the box. Hope Setanta will show it again during the week. Looking forward to playing Kerry now. I just hope the pitch isn't like a bog.

Aaron Boone

7.30pm tonight Setanta, although RTE also have a NFL highlights programme clashing from 7-8pm.

leenie

just back from what truly was a magnificent night! from start to finish it was superb and what a game! Tyrone were on fire, and stephen o neil tis great having him back, still amazed at his point... seemed  to defy the laws of gravity! fair play to aidan cassidy... great performance!

beyond expectations!

theres no show like a g.a.a show!

i to am a very proud g.a.a woman today!

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

heffo

Very enjoyable game, exciting second half and thought the show afterwards was class.

Tyrone looked very good in the first half, making the overlapping look very easy - it's frightening how well they can do it. Dublin seemed to be struggling marking space rather than men - on a few occasions in the first Cahill & bastic let their men go and stayed in their 'zone' - it was clear that Tyrone had identified Bastic as a weak link and Cavanagh tried to drag him out to the wing, but Bastic stayed in the square and let Andrews pick him up.

Some top class points from Tyrone in the first half.

Second half Dublin got the wind in their sails and improved hugely - Sherlock gave McMahon a tough time and Dublin stuck over a few nice scores.

Had they been a bit cuter at the end when they won the kickout whilst a point up, they might have won it, but class points from Cavanagh & O'Neill when Tyrone were on the rack won it for the nordies.

What Dublin would give for a tight marking corner back and a couple of wing forwards - if there were a transfer system - John Keane, Brian Dooher and Declan O'Sullivan would do nicely - can't see Sam returning to the capital until we can find those - it's all well and good having spells of five and six points on the bounce but teams can close out games and slow them down.

Lovely pics btw FOSB

heffo

Meant to say O'Neill was sheer class - what a player!

ziggysego

Some photos FoSB. Are you a photographer?
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on February 01, 2009, 04:26:41 PM

Thanks Zig (and lads). No, just a hobby, though maybe I'll have to review that if this recession bites any deeper  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 01, 2009, 04:28:30 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 01, 2009, 04:26:41 PM

Thanks Zig (and lads). No, just a hobby, though maybe I'll have to review that if this recession bites any deeper  ;)

Caidé mar tá tú Fear ón Srath Bán
Cracking pics btw. Dose that mean your going to start charging us :)

ziggysego

Mickey Harte, the Tyrone manager, has described Stephen O'Neill as one of the greatest footballers ever following the Clann na Gael man's match-winning performance against Dublin on Saturday night.

O'Neill, who missed most of last season after calling time on his career at the start of 2008, kicked eight points for the Red Hands, one of which will go down in folklore for its sheer majesty.

The double All Star winner put Tyrone 0-9 to 0-4 ahead before the break with a left-footed shot from an acute angle just under the Cusack Stand that will be remembered as one of the greatest scores at Croke Park.

"Stephen O'Neill was sublime all night, we had a few trump cards and they did the business when it was required," said Harte at the post-match briefing.

He added: "It was a real bonus to have him [O'Neill], not just for Tyrone but look what the public would have missed there tonight if we didn't have a player of that quality on display.

"He's is just in the top bracket of Gaelic players that have ever played this game and obviously we are delighted to have him because if you can get enough ball into Stephen O'Neill you are likely to get quite a lot of scores.

"And when you get a lot of scores, you win more games than you lose. That's a real bonus."

Meanwhile, Harte was in little doubt that the GAA's new disciplinary rules helped to produce a free-flowing and entertaining game of football, which was notable for a lack of fouling and the amount of scores from open play, 30 in total.

"I am sure that there is an awareness of the fact that it would be easier to get sent off now they would be a bit more cautious coming into the tackle," he said.

"But I think if it was refereed the way it was tonight – sensibly – I don't think there is much argument. I don't know if you can equate one point to the other, I think there was two good football teams out there tonight.

"The conditions were superb, Croke Park is a great venue and I like when our team scores 1-18."

Sourced Setanta.com: http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/other-sports/2009/01/31/GAA-Harte-on-ONeill/gnid-38106/
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on February 01, 2009, 05:14:52 PM
Dose that mean your going to start charging us :)

Only if the bailiffs come a knocking BaT, promise ;)

Tyrone Dreamer

Great game,great result and great entertainment. One of the best ever all round days in croke park and some value at €20 (especially compared to the €95 tickets next week) . Even the weather was good for January. Excellent promotion for our games and will hopefully shut those up who were moaning before hand about the use of croke park/fireworks etc. Considering last night would still have made a small profit its a pity we couldnt have nights like this more often to promote our games. Get 2 of the best in the country together and spend big on entertainment, should help to attract more kids to the games. O'Neill's first half point was unbelievable.

Mickeys beard

Jaysus ziggy, could you get rid of that dog.  Can't stop laughing at it, even in the corner of my eye.
Boil the Drawers!

Doohicky

Was a great game and the seats for the Season ticket holders could hardly have been better.

Was good chatting to ya FOSB!

I thought that McGuigan had a great match. Although he rarely played the final ball, I thought that in the first half every point we scored went through him at some point and it was his balls that got us in the position to pull the Dublin defence apart.

The one thing we really need to sort out is the kickouts. Devine was putting them everywhere but to a Tyrone Jersey. I think he hit the sideline more than a Tyrone man in the second half!

heffo

Quote from: Doohicky on February 01, 2009, 07:50:28 PM
Was a great game and the seats for the Season ticket holders could hardly have been better.

Are the two of ye not members of your local clubs lads?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: heffo on February 01, 2009, 08:03:03 PM
Quote from: Doohicky on February 01, 2009, 07:50:28 PM

Are the two of ye not members of your local clubs lads?

It was more a case of us only realising who we each were last week heffo, more neighbours than clubmates!