Should distinctions be made between real and back door All Irelands?

Started by T Fearon, September 24, 2008, 09:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Its totally understandable. Tonys hatred for all things Tyrone have just cost him 3 grand (plus two unsuccessful journeys to Dublin in the hope of a defeat at the hands of Dublin and Wexford respectively).  Hes hurting .

stibhan

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2008, 02:15:14 PM
There is no guarantee that Tyrone would have won the AI in 2005* had they not lost that year's Ulster Final replay legitimately to Armagh, as it is generally accepted that the two games against Dublin that year (which wouldn't have occurred had they beaten Armagh in Ulster) by accident provided Harte with his best team.

These asterisks have given me an idea though. Should A I Winners jersies be marked (as they do in soccer) with asterisks to indicate back door wins? Can you picture a red hand with two asterisks against it?

I don't think you can mark down Harte's team selection as an accident.

You can postulate all you want about Tyrone's success but it's arguably harder to come through the back door and win it than to go through the front door. Tyrone didn't find the 2006 back-door easy, just as Armagh didn't find the 2007 one very successful either. Armagh this year got further through the front door than the back one, and they hadn't a system but aging legs and poor positioning on Bellew's part to blame for their ignominious dumping out by Wexford this year.

Tyrone beat Dublin, hot favourites, by 12 points, and Kerry by 4 when it could have been 10, Armagh coughed and wheezed past Down, Fermanagh and Cavan. Tyrone played 10 games in 2005, and were the best team in all three matches against Armagh, despite the referee ruining both Ulster Final games in favour of Armagh. Back-door this, back-door that but at the end of the year the champions deserve to be considered champions in my opinion.

How can you talk so much shite about everything? Does it not piss you off even slightly?

T Fearon

Fermgael, all the back door games and Tommy Murphy Cup games were included in the Belfast Telegraph competition. I am not whinging or complaining about losing this, just cursing my rotten luck ;D

T Fearon

Bensars, Tyrone's defeat of Wexford by 6 points actually earned 10 points for me in the competition and I certainly didn;t opt for Kerry on Sunday out of any dislike for Tyrone, its because I thought the feckers after getting beat in 2003 and 2005 would move heaven and earth to win. ;D

FermGael

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2008, 02:47:18 PM
I am not whinging or complaining about losing this, just cursing my rotten luck ;D

You are some craic all the same. 
If you would have won the thing, despite being a good bit clear up to the last game, you would have been telling us all about the skill invoved.
Funny now your beat, it turns out to be bad luck
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Gabriel_Hurl

T Fearon

Bullshit. I would give your theory credence Bummer if Tyrone made a final (or even semi final) appearance every year, but they don't. For all Harte's undoubted management skills Tyrone cannot deny their extreme good fortune at crucial times this year, a few examples of which are

Westmeath having two men sent off in 60 in seconds in front of a sparse crowd at Omagh when they could well have dumped Tyrone on their asses in the qualifiers.

Dublin failing to turn up at all in the qtr final

Wexford playing for only one half and missing their best player in the second half in the semis

Kerry taking wrong options which denied them at least two goals last Sunday allied to Tyrone's fluke goal, which would have been cleared by the defender had he not lost his footing.

Sometimes things occur as a result of extreme good fortune rather than any pre set master plan

Gabriel_Hurl

keep the aul bullshit coming Tony - I (along with many other Tyrone supporters) are loving reading it

stibhan

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2008, 04:10:33 PM
Bullshit. I would give your theory credence Bummer if Tyrone made a final (or even semi final) appearance every year, but they don't. For all Harte's undoubted management skills Tyrone cannot deny their extreme good fortune at crucial times this year, a few examples of which are

Westmeath having two men sent off in 60 in seconds in front of a sparse crowd at Omagh when they could well have dumped Tyrone on their asses in the qualifiers.

Wexford playing for only one half and missing their best player in the second half in the semis

Kerry taking wrong options which denied them at least two goals last Sunday allied to Tyrone's fluke goal, which would have been cleared by the defender had he not lost his footing.

Sometimes things occur as a result of extreme good fortune rather than any pre set master plan

How does it feel to have 2 less All-Irelands than Tyrone, sweetheart? Star or no star it must be some hurt til ye.

red hander

Quote from: stibhan on September 24, 2008, 04:19:15 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2008, 04:10:33 PM

How does it feel to have 2 less All-Irelands than Tyrone, sweetheart? Star or no star it must be some hurt til ye.

Yeah, and how does it feel to have lost an All-Ireland to Tyrone?

Billys Boots

Genius Guillem - and very apt here today.  Fair play to The Onion.  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

EC Unique

This is class. Tony has obviously lost complete control now :D :D  Tyrone were lucky and all back door All Irelands shoud be marked as second rate :D :D   Keep them coming big lad :-*

Frank Casey

Fearon I have to say that you're talking balderdash. Maybe we should discount all All Irelands since the qualifiers came in as the added sense of security given to teams by the back door safety net in the provincial championships acts as a beta blocker to the fear of losing in a winner takes all.

I think that leaves the score at Kerry 32, Armagh f**k all.
KERRY 3:7

ONeill

I actually agree with Tony. I think those who went through the front door should be asked to play a few more games.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.