Should distinctions be made between real and back door All Irelands?

Started by T Fearon, September 24, 2008, 09:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

QuoteThis year's All Ireland finalists involved teams from Ulster and Munster who cannot even call themselves Munster or Ulster Champions.

Let's face it, the provincial 'championships' are largely irrelevant to any teams with greater than local ambition.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

theskull1

Jesus I thought that this thread was a bit juvenile, even for the likes of Tony Fearon

Has your young lad found your password Tony?

He certainly is a chip off the old block  :D

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gnevin

I think leaps years should also have a distinction made as the winner that year had an extra day to train . ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hardy

cornafean

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2008, 09:04:38 AM
I mean should the record books detail All Ireland winners as follows (for example)

Tyrone 3 (two backdoors).

It is in my opinion a qualification that needs to be made

Tyrone would not have needed the backdoor in 2005 were it not for a combination of refereeing errors and Armagh roughhousing in that year's Ulster final replay.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Donagh

Fuzzman

Tony

Were you happy Tyrone won on Sunday or disappointed and why?

mackers

Quote from: cornafean on September 24, 2008, 01:32:03 PM
I mean should the record books detail All Ireland winners as follows (for example)

Tyrone would not have needed the backdoor in 2005 were it not for a combination of refereeing errors and Armagh roughhousing in that year's Ulster final replay.
There were refereeing mistakes, without doubt, could you give me examples of Armagh roughhousing in that game?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Maguire01

Here, Tony's just mad that Tyrone's 'qualified' All Ireland title cost him the Belfast Telegraph's £3,000 pick the score prize fund!  :D

And Armagh obviously only want 'unqualified' titles.  ::)

Jinxy

I concur. I don't go in for these backdoor shenanigans. We won our all-irelands through the front door. The hard way! No back doors, side doors, cat-flaps or velux roof lights necessary. :P
If you were any use you'd be playing.

stibhan

Tyrone's first all-ireland* wouldn't have been through the backdoor if it wasn't for the worst refereeing display in living memory. So should Armagh's 2005 Anglo Celt title have an * against it?

T Fearon

There is no guarantee that Tyrone would have won the AI in 2005* had they not lost that year's Ulster Final replay legitimately to Armagh, as it is generally accepted that the two games against Dublin that year (which wouldn't have occurred had they beaten Armagh in Ulster) by accident provided Harte with his best team.

These asterisks have given me an idea though. Should A I Winners jersies be marked (as they do in soccer) with asterisks to indicate back door wins? Can you picture a red hand with two asterisks against it?

gander

Quote from: stibhan on September 24, 2008, 01:47:27 PM
Tyrone's first all-ireland* wouldn't have been through the backdoor if it wasn't for the worst refereeing display in living memory. So should Armagh's 2005 Anglo Celt title have an * against it?

Tyrones first all-ireland* wasn't through the back door, they won in 2003, after winning ulster!

stibhan

Quote from: gander on September 24, 2008, 02:26:33 PM
Quote from: stibhan on September 24, 2008, 01:47:27 PM

Tyrones first all-ireland* wasn't through the back door, they won in 2003, after winning ulster!

Having been there at the Ulster final and the All-Ireland final, I'm well aware of that.

I wrote 'all ireland*', the asterisk representing the back-door route...

FermGael

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2008, 02:15:14 PM
There is no guarantee that Tyrone would have won the AI in 2005* had they not lost that year's Ulster Final replay legitimately to Armagh, as it is generally accepted that the two games against Dublin that year (which wouldn't have occurred had they beaten Armagh in Ulster) by accident provided Harte with his best team.

These asterisks have given me an idea though. Should A I Winners jersies be marked (as they do in soccer) with asterisks to indicate back door wins? Can you picture a red hand with two asterisks against it?

Tony I have got it.  You should get onto the Belfast Telegraph with your theory about back door All Ireland's not being real one's.
They could put Tony Fearon* beside this years results to indicate that you would have won it , if there was no backdoor.
It would only be fair
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered