All-Stars 2008

Started by Real1995, September 21, 2008, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

QuoteWexford's ommision is a disgrace.

Sean Cavanagh is a legend, and it'll be interesting to see how many all-stars he has when he hangs up the boots.

You would've got a quer price on Justy getting an all-star before Joe a few years back. Both should've got one the year.

Delighted for Enda and to a lesser degree Davy Harte. McGinley to me was Tyrone's best player in 05, and again this season.

Not too sure Norf, I understand what you are saying but at the same time a team getting to the semi's shouldn't necessarily represent a token all-star as it would have been realistically.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

Quote from: Final Whistle on October 15, 2008, 03:45:59 PM
congrats to all concerned. sean has his fourth, how many did spillane get?
Could a tyrone man surpass his total? at 25 he could get another 4/5 if he stays injury free!

In all Spillane collected eleven Munster Championship medals between 1975 and 1991. He played in ten All-Ireland finals, ending up on the winning side on eight occasions. Spillane also won Railway Cup football medals with Munster in 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980 and 1981, as well as four National Football Leagues in 1974, 1977, 1982 and 1984.

Spillane has also received nine All-Star awards, more than any other player in the history of Gaelic football. He shares the record within the Gaelic Athletic Association with D.J. Carey and Eddie Keher (although Keher's record is made up of 5 All-Stars and 4 CĂș Chulainn Awards as his career predates the All-Star awards) who have also received nine All-Stars for their hurling performances for Kilkenny. Spillane was honoured with an All-Star accolade during the following years: 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1984, 1985 and 1986

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Final Whistle on October 15, 2008, 03:45:59 PM
congrats to all concerned. sean has his fourth, how many did spillane get?
Could a tyrone man surpass his total? at 25 he could get another 4/5 if he stays injury free!

Ye lads really have Kerry in yer sights these days ;)

nrico2006

The whole naming of players in different positions has runined the system - the Donaghy example is a joke and also Ryan McMenamins exclusion is unbelievable.  McCullagh was more deserving of a forward award than Donaghy.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 15, 2008, 03:56:33 PM
The whole naming of players in different positions has runined the system - the Donaghy example is a joke and also Ryan McMenamins exclusion is unbelievable.  McCullagh was more deserving of a forward award than Donaghy.

So basically you wanted more All-Stars for Tyrone? ;D

Jinxy

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 15, 2008, 03:56:33 PM

Do ye ever stop giving out? ::)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

gerrykeegan

Delighted for the two Westmeath lads, particularly Gary who suffered dogs abuse from a section of the Dubs fans over the 4 games.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 15, 2008, 04:02:49 PM
Delighted for the two Westmeath lads, particularly Gary who suffered dogs abuse from a section of the Dubs fans over the 4 games.

Westmeath have done really well getting two All-Stars considering they didn't reach the quarter-finals or even a provincial final.

imtommygunn

Clarke, Cavanagh and Tomas O'Se are the only 3 out of position so not sure there should too much of an argument about out of position players.

his holiness nb

Bizarre comment. If it did happen are you suggesting it was a sympathy vote because of this, otherwise why mention it here?

Congrats to all.

Ask me holy bollix

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 15, 2008, 04:07:02 PM

Westmeath have done really well getting two All-Stars considering they didn't reach the quarter-finals or even a provincial final.

considering Wexfords position its doesn't make any sense at all...or even derry who won the national league

TBT

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on October 15, 2008, 04:11:33 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 15, 2008, 04:07:02 PM

considering Wexfords position its doesn't make any sense at all...or even derry who won the national league

Wexford weren't the only side to get to an All Ire semi final to be overlooked.The Ryan selection would be utterly bizarre if he wasn't from Dublin.

Final Whistle

demand excellence boys, just demand the best and then when your think you have reached the promised land ask for fu*kin more.lol.

his holiness nb

Quote from: TBT on October 15, 2008, 04:13:45 PM
.The Ryan selection would be utterly bizarre if he wasn't from Dublin.

Feck sake, the man was great for the Dubs, credit where its due.

I'd suggest that you wouldnt find it utterly bizarre at all were he not from Dublin  ::)

Ask me holy bollix

gerrykeegan

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 15, 2008, 04:10:53 PM

Bizarre comment. If it did happen are you suggesting it was a sympathy vote because of this, otherwise why mention it here?

Congrats to all.

I said I was delighted for both lads. The abuse he received from a section of the Dubs fans makes it sweeter!

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)