All-Stars 2008

Started by Real1995, September 21, 2008, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Opel/GPA award nominees

The GPA Awards for September
08 October 2008

The official nominees for the 2008 Opel Gaelic Players Awards for football have been announced today by the GPA. A total of 45 players have been named on the shortlist for the Team of the Year, with four players also nominated for the Player of the Year award.

The shortlist for the Opel Gaelic Team of the Year includes 45 players - three players for each position. The shortlist contains players from 15 counties including; Tyrone, Kerry, Wexford, Dublin, Westmeath, Kildare, Galway, Mayo, Cork, Limerick, Monaghan, Fermanagh, Armagh, Down and Derry.

The Opel Gaelic Team of the Year shortlist reflects the most successful counties in this year's championship with All-Ireland champions Tyrone receiving a total of nine nominations. Losing All-Ireland finalists Kerry received eight nominations while All-Ireland semi-finalists Wexford received four. Dublin, Westmeath, Galway, Cork, Fermanagh and Armagh all received three nominations each.

The four nominees for the Opel Gaelic Player of the year as chosen by the Football Selection Committee are: Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone), Brian Dooher (Tyrone) Tomas O Se (Kerry) and Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry).

The shortlists were drawn up by a selection committee consisting of Chairman Jack O'Connor, along with Keith Barr, Martin McHugh and Paddy Heaney. The winners will be selected by GPA members, all of whom have been issued with voting cards.

Commenting on the announcement, Chairman of the Football Selection Committee, Jack O'Connor said, "Gaelic football is a team game, but as we all know individual contributions throughout the year are deserving of recognition. As always with these type of awards, they are entirely subjective and are sure to generate debate. However, the committee feels the 45 players we have chosen have earned their selection."

The shortlist in full for the 2008 Opel Gaelic team of the Year consists of:

1. Ronan Gallagher (Fermanagh), Gary Connaughton (Westmeath), Anthony Masterson (Wexford)

2. Marc O Se (Kerry), Dessie Mone (Monaghan), John Keane (Westmeath)

3. Justin McMahon (Tyrone), Francie Bellew (Armagh), Finian Hanley (Galway)

4. Conor Gormley (Tyrone), Anthony Lynch (Cork), David Henry (Dublin)

5. Tomas S (Kerry), Davy Harte (Tyrone), Michael Ennis (Westmeath)

6. Ryan McCluskey (Fermanagh), Philip Jordan (Tyrone), Aidan O'Mahony (Kerry)

7. Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone), Ciaran McKeever (Armagh), Graham Canty (Cork)

8 & 9 Enda McGinley (Tyrone), Darragh O Se (Kerry), Shane Ryan (Dublin), Dan Gordon (Down), John Galvin (Limerick), Martin McGrath (Fermanagh)

10. Brian Dooher (Tyrone), Alan Dillon (Mayo), John Doyle (Kildare)

11. Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry), Padraic Joyce (Galway), Pearse O'Neill (Cork)

12. Joe McMahon (Tyrone), Redmond Barry (Wexford), Alan Brogan (Dublin)

13. Colm Cooper (Kerry), Paddy Bradley (Derry), Ciaran Lyng (Wexford)

14. Sean Cavanagh, (Tyrone), Kieran Donaghy (Kerry), Ronan Clarke (Armagh)

15. Tommy Walsh (Kerry), Michael Meehan (Galway), Matty Forde (Wexford)

Our Nail Loney

Knew they wouldnt leave big joe out!!

full back

Croí na hÉireann

Nice to see the 3 boys get recognition again, even if it is the GPA, [/spit]....

If they're picking one from each position the team I think they'll pick will be:

Gallagher
Keane, McMahon, Gormley,
Tomas O'Sé, Jordan, McMenamin,
McGinley, Ryan,
Dooher, O'Sullivan, Barry,
Cooper, Cavanagh, Meehan
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

nrico2006

Croi, I would agree with your team but with Connaughton an Number one and Joe McMahon at 12.  His displays there against Dublin and Wexford merit his inclusion over Barry.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Croí na hÉireann

I'd have Connaughton in there as well but Fermanagh deserve someone for getting to an Ulster Final and I think it'll be Gallagher who gets it. Same with Wexford and Barry made them tick in the forwards. Mickey Harte saw to it that he was negated in the semi and the result was a stroll in the park for them.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Real1995

Gallagher
O'Se Justin McMahon  Gormley
Harte  Jordan Mcmenamin
McGinley Ryan
Dooher O'Sullivan  J McMahon
Cooper  Cavanagh  Meehan
for me goin on this selection process.............
Nice guys always finish second!

ONeill

The official All-Stars - which one will be announced the day before this year - hurling or football?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Ok, final predictions before tomorrow:

Connaughton
McMahon - Gormley - Lynch
Harte - T OSe - Jordan
McGinley - Ryan
Dooher - Cavanagh - OSullivan
Cooper - Donaghy - Forde
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Real1995

anyone kno what time that they are announced 2day?
Nice guys always finish second!

orangeman

Bensars

Someone posted the team here last year. Before it was even announced.  It was common enough knowledge around dublin

Rossie11

Announced on todayfm few mins ago.
Only heard some of them
7-8 Tyrone.
Cavanagh picked in half forward line

Harold Disgracey

Team on the BBC website now.

take_yer_points

From BBC:

G Connaughton (Westmeath)

C Gormley (Tyrone), Justin McMahon (Tyrone), J Keane (Westmeath)

D Harte (Tyrone), T O Se (Kerry), P Jordan (Tyrone)

E McGinley (Tyrone), S Ryan (Dublin)

B Dooher (Tyrone), Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry), S Cavanagh (Tyrone)

C Cooper (Kerry), K Donaghy (Kerry), R Clarke (Armagh)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7671928.stm