how to get out of a wedding??

Started by charlie stubbs, September 13, 2008, 05:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick O Shea

Quote from: Onion Bag on September 15, 2008, 11:50:00 AM
I had the same situation a while back, I pulled a sickie, Bad dose of the flu, I still give a present and that and the day before the wedding i made the call to tell them that i was in a bad way, and to be honest they are going to be that busy the day before, as soon as the phone is put down it will be forgotton.  ;)

Thats bad crack! At that stage the table plan will be done and meals will be paid for, better letting them know now i think.

Onion Bag

You cant help it if you have the flu, you dont want to be passing it on to everyone at the wedding  ;) ;) ;)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

The Iceman

If you said you were going and you don't go then get the girl a token present - but let her no well in advance

If its less than a month to the wedding then chances are the hotel will not let her change dinner numbers and she is out of pocket for your meal - so if you don't go at least get her a present worth 50 or more cause thats what you are talking these days

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: The Iceman on September 15, 2008, 01:40:22 PM
If you said you were going and you don't go then get the girl a token present - but let her no well in advance

If its less than a month to the wedding then chances are the hotel will not let her change dinner numbers and she is out of pocket for your meal - so if you don't go at least get her a present worth 50 or more cause thats what you are talking these days

50??? Are u serious Iceman???   Hasn't been 50 for years unfortunately

full back

Correct el
Its a cool £100 min. nowadays

Donagh

I think he meant the price of the dinner.

Over the Bar

QuoteJust explain that to her I'm sure she'll understand. 

And you DO NOT NEED TO BUY A PRESENT IF YOU'RE NOT GOING!!!

Please ignore this beggarly advice if you want to retain anyone as a friend. 

You can take a man out of South Armagh but you can't take South Armagh out of the man!

Yes I Would

Have been forking oit £120 for any weddings attended over this past 3 or 4 years, for myself and the woman.
Thought this was par for the course.

Will soon see. Getting hitched in December.
Any tight f**ker lands with 50 quid for a present or a present to that value will be doing without a starter and a dessert!!

magpie seanie

Seriously - if you're not going the worst thing you could do is not let the couple know in advance. Most people will understand and if they don't well then as someone else stated here - do you really want them as friends anyway?

Maiden1

Just tell you are not going as you can't afford to and buy them a present.  Unless you are the groomsman they won't give a FCUK.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Hardy

What a f****n racket this wedding stuff is!

Treasurer

Just be honest. 

Weddings can be a nightmare - some don't want to be there, others the bride and groom wouldn't care if they were there or not and then there's the ones who were insulted not to be invited!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on September 15, 2008, 03:12:46 PM
What a f****n racket this wedding stuff is!

Agreed

When/If i make a girl happy and marry her It will be on a beach out foreign somewhere with just my and her family and a few close friends..
I have a wedding in Monaghan in october,There are over 300 going to it and she has 9 yes thats 9 Bridesmaids  :o
What a load of bollix for one day,I'd rather spend the money on a month long honeymoon in Oz than feed a load of f**kers I haven't seen in years
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Onion Bag

I was at a wedding last summer in the Slieve Russell in Ballyconnell and 430 People sat down for dinner, i mean like holy f**k, roughly count it out at €50 per head, total = €21,500 just to feed a load of c***ts, half of them you dont even speak to,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

D4S

I'm getting married in less than 3weeks, not long now til im off work for a month ahhhhhhhhhhhhh:)!!!! Honestly just tell her...don't pull a sickie as some1 suggested!  You have to tell hotel your final numbers 24-48 hrs before and they will charge you for that number so will be a bit rude to not go and expect her to fork out a meal for you.   We have a number of people who have got back and given genuine reasons for not attending...one of them is a mate of mine who lives in Leeds and although I initially was like aww mann is there no way you can make it when he explained he was seriously broke at the minute I haven't thought about it since!  There are also those who just send back a regret and don't even give a reason which is IMO rude. 

PS You should still give them a present even though you aren't attending:)!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.