Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ONeill on October 25, 2008, 11:00:39 AM
He got a bit of game time in the final quarter.

Definitely much harder to create time and space for scoretakers to line up an effort. Every man is well marshalled.

The Irish simply need to tackle more. I don't know what the finally tally was but twas fairly pathetic at HT.

Think the final tackle count was 38 - 9 in favour of Australia. The thing is that a properly executed tackle effectively wins back possession. Ciaran McKeever said in yesterday's Irish News that it can be difficult for our lads as the instinctive thing in Gaelic Football is to stand off and restrict space rather than diving straight in.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Jinxy

Cavanagh hails 'fantastic football'
25 October 2008

Ireland captain Sean Cavanagh has paid tribute to the "fantastic football" witnessed during the one-point win over Australia in the opening International Rules Test.

The Tyrone Footballer of the Year was a key figure as the Irish held on to claim the opening Test in Perth on Friday. Cavanagh reckons the match was superb and was delighted that it was played in the right spirit:

"There were good physical hits out there but the main thing is that there was some fantastic football from both sides. I am looking forward to the game in Melbourne already.

"We were actually expecting Australia to come at us in the third quarter. We really put an awful lot of effort into that and we got a good lead, maybe ran out of steam a little bit in the fourth quarter.

"Fair play to Australia for coming back at us, they played some great football. I just can't wait for next week. The atmosphere here was fantastic. It definitely gave a great boost to the players. It was unreal," he concluded.

Does anyone else cringe a little bit when they read stuff like this?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

No, why would you? Both teams are playing football are they not and there were some great passages of play though over all it was a fairly average sporting occasion.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Aerlik on October 25, 2008, 06:49:44 AM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 25, 2008, 12:38:52 AM
Zulu that's just the Aussie way. If you don't fight them you're a pussy, if you fight back you're the thugs trying to start the fight who then complain when they get beaten up. And then you're a whinger and a sook.
It's on record that no Aussie sportsman has ever done anything untoward. Ever.

Now you ARE totally talking through your arse... :-[

Sorry dude, was referring to the prevailing 'opinion' from the chimps over on big footy...not Aussies per se.

The Real Laoislad

Bit like Ulster footballers so  :P
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Zapatista

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 25, 2008, 02:12:17 PM

Bit like Ulster footballers so  :P

teehee we have fooled them :-X :-X :-X

ziggysego

Australian manager Mick Malthouse remains unconvinced about the yellow card dished out to Campbell Brown during the first International Rules Test in Perth.

The player was sin-binned at a vital stage in Friday's clash after a rough challenge on Finian Hanley, but Malthouse believes it was not a particularly nasty incident:

"I guess at AFL level, that's a free-kick at best. It's a yellow card here - we accept that and move on.

"I don't think it was outside the spirit of the game. These things happen. I think anyone who saw tonight's game would know the spirit it was played in. It was a credit to both sets of players,"

The Oz manager is also promising an improved performance from his side next week as they bid for revenge:

"We've a week to improve our skill level and improve our understanding of the game. Our handpassing was quite ordinary at times tonight," he accepted.
Testing Accessibility

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on October 25, 2008, 01:43:49 PM
No, why would you? Both teams are playing football are they not and there were some great passages of play though over all it was a fairly average sporting occasion.

Where?

screenexile

Quote from: Jinxy on October 25, 2008, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 25, 2008, 01:43:49 PM

Where?

Cavanagh's goal? Donaghy's mark? The Aussie who nalied 2 great scores from out wide either side in the 2nd quarter (I think)?

All great passages of play from what I could see!

Jinxy

First of all, Cavanaghs goal would have been saved by a proper keeper, yes Donaghy caught a ball but he does that 5 or 6 times a game over here and fair enough the Australian lad kicked a couple of nice points. I still think it's a bit of a stretch to use the term fantastic football.

Zulu

Jinxy you don't like IR so you don't see much merit in the game, if you didn't like American football you could ask an NFL fan to point out some good passages of play and still not be impressed if you just don't like the game. But any fair minded fan of football would have to admit the build up to Cavanagh's goal was brilliant and the Aussie's created and scored some amazing 'overs'. Much of what Glynn did was very impressive also but if you don't like the game you don't like the game.

Zapatista

Quote from: Zulu on October 25, 2008, 04:14:44 PM
Jinxy you don't like IR so you don't see much merit in the game, if you didn't like American football you could ask an NFL fan to point out some good passages of play and still not be impressed if you just don't like the game. But any fair minded fan of football would have to admit the build up to Cavanagh's goal was brilliant and the Aussie's created and scored some amazing 'overs'. Much of what Glynn did was very impressive also but if you don't like the game you don't like the game.

I thought it was a good goal and I don't like the game.

Does the same apply if you do like the game? e.g. you might deem a poor play as a good one?

Jinxy

I used to like it. It used to be way more action-packed. Now it's just a watered down version of the original game. The vast majority of people I've spoken to that watched the full game say it was like watching paint dry until the last 5 minutes.

Zulu

No Zap, I don't think someone who likes the game can't see poor passages of play for what they are, I like the game but I didn't think yesterday's game was great.

Jinxy, like I said above I didn't think yesterday's game was particularly good either but there was passages of very good football, not unlike many of this year's championship games.

Uladh

I really want to like IR but i just have to try too hard. any sport that requires focussed determination to be enjoyed is just not worthy of the description