Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

Quote from: Uladh on October 25, 2008, 04:27:20 PM

I really want to like IR but i just have to try too hard. any sport that requires focussed determination to be enjoyed is just not worthy of the description

maybe you just need to learn the rules.

Bogball XV

Quote from: thejuice on October 25, 2008, 09:17:35 AM
in regards to promoting GAA in other countries. The NFL's popularity over in the UK has gone through the roof since they've put it on sky. Its not pay-per-view or any of that nonsense, they made a consious effort to make the game as freely available to as many people as possible without losing control of their product. I dont think the GAA on Setanta is comparable. Its nicely timed after the soccer season in winter and to put it on SKY while keeping it on RTE in Ireland.
what?
It's on subscription only tv, how is that freely available?  Is NFL really that popular in the UK?  Imo it was much higher profile back in the 80's when C4 was showing it.  You,  are right though, the gaa do a truly pathetic job of promoting their games on tv, the championship is well catered for, but the nfl and club competitions are basically ignored, next time people come knocking for rights to games they have to cut a better deal, forget about money and demand coverage instead, by that time rte may have a dedicated digital sports channel so it should be pretty doable.

Finally, a lot of you (mainly tyronies by the looks of it) seem to think that the gaa should go worldwide and it'd be really successful if marketed properly - that's bollox imo.  We've tried many times and can't get beyond the irish diaspora, why?  Imo it's money, people hear that no matter how good you are at the game you'll never make a living out of it, how can that incentivise some west indian kid from peckham?  He's not going to think to themselves that it'd be great to follow in Dooher's footsteps and put another one over the mighty kingdom - fcuk that, he'll try and run really fast down the wing and become another theo walcott or jeremy guscott.

stpauls

did anyone record the game, or is there anywhere online that is repeating it? was in Singapore on Friday night and couldn't get anywhere that was showing it!

Jinxy

I think for once Liam Hayes got it just about right with his article on the IR series in todays Tribune.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: stpauls on October 26, 2008, 06:28:42 AM
did anyone record the game, or is there anywhere online that is repeating it? was in Singapore on Friday night and couldn't get anywhere that was showing it!

Try the media player on gaa.ie
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Uladh

Quote from: magickingdom on October 25, 2008, 08:15:46 PM
Quote from: Uladh on October 25, 2008, 04:27:20 PM

I really want to like IR but i just have to try too hard. any sport that requires focussed determination to be enjoyed is just not worthy of the description

maybe you just need to learn the rules.

They have rules?

Catching the ball above your head and kicking it straight is deemed astonishing in this game. it should be expected from the best "footballers" in either country.

Hank Everlast

Is the 2nd test on earlier? am stayn in belfast thursday nite and was gunna hit the hatfield to watch it if its opened!

Zulu

Hank Everlast

Jinxy

From todays Indo. This clown Sheedy is something else altogether.

'Irish to blame for aggression'

Tuesday October 28 2008

KEVIN Sheedy may no longer be coaching the Australian International Rules team, but he has still succeeded in imposing his controversial personality on this year's series which heads for the second Test in Melbourne on Friday night with Ireland holding a slender one-point lead.

Having dubbed Sean Boylan a 'leprechaun' last week, Sheedy has now alleged that Irish players kicked the Australians during the controversial 2005 and '06 games which almost led to the abandonment of the entire series. He also defends the tackle by Danyle Pearce which left Graham Geraghty unconscious and headed for hospital after taking a dangerous hit during the second Test in Croke Park in '06.

Henchman

"Pearce tackled one of their players, their henchman, a bit of a Gaelic version of Leigh Matthews. There was nothing wrong with Danyle's tackle but the Irishman was knocked unconscious when his head hit the ground and he was taken from the field on a stretcher," he writes in his autobiography 'Stand Your Ground' which hit Melbourne book stores yesterday afternoon.

Matthews was one of the AFL's most famous players, whom Sheedy likens to Geraghty. The former Australian and Essendon coach also accuses the Irish players of having been involved in skulduggery in various games.

It comes at a time when relations between the GAA and the AFL have returned to cordial territory after extensive negotiations saved the series from extinction.

While Sheedy, who is of Irish extraction, argues that the International Rules games have been good for both countries and acknowledges that managing Australia was the best part of the later stages of his coaching career, his portrayal of Irish players as the aggressors will come as an embarrassment to the AFL as they strive to distance themselves from the '06 horror show in Croke Park.

He describes the atmosphere in Croke Park after Geraghty was stretchered off was like nothing he had ever experienced in a lifetime of coach.

"The tension was amazing. There was only a small number of Australians in Croke Park amid all these very angry Irish people. I had never comes across anything like it. Later, there were lots of crisis meetings going on all over the place between Irish and Australian officials and the series was called off in '07."

Referring to Chris Johnson's shocking tackle on Philip Jordan during the second Test in Melbourne in '05, he writes that it "created the biggest brawl of all time".

"Nothing like what Chris did had ever happened in Gaelic football. They didn't play their game like that," he writes, in what may be an attempt at sarcasm before going on to defend Johnson.

"Chris was suspended but, in his defence, a lot of Irish players had been ankle-tackling and raking our players with their feet. I think it's safe to say that as far as our players were concerned they didn't mind if they were punched but they took umbrage at being kicked. For Australian footballers, being kicked is a bit like someone coming to your party and knocking over your barbecue. You just don't do it," he added.

Despite controversies, Sheedy was convinced that the series would survive because it was good for both associations and is delighted to see it back this year as part of the AFL's 150th anniversary celebrations.

He reveals that he was keen to bring Down's Martin Clarke to Essendon but was turned down by the club because if would have cost AUS$20,000. Clarke moved to Collingwood instead.

In an interesting coincidence, on the day that Sheedy's book was launched where he accuses Irish players of kicking opponents, Tadhg Kennelly offered a revealing insight into the contrasting psyches of the two countries.

Commenting on the nastier end of various International Rules clashes over the years, he accepts that while Ireland have a case to answer too, one aspect of the Australian approach annoyed him.

"I have no problem if you are a hard Aussie Rules footballer and you do it in Aussie Rules, but if you are not and then you do it in International Rules, I think: what is the reason? My problem is guys who aren't genuinely hard in Aussie Rules but think they can do it against the Irish. But it takes two to tango and we have been just as bad," said Kennelly, a star with Sydney Swans for several years.

He is unable to play for Ireland this year due to injury but has been helping out on an advisory capacity.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

full back

I would normally have been a supporter of the Rules Series, but Friday's game was boring as fcuk.
Very disappointed in it & TBH I dont know what can be done to save the series

antoinse

Who wants to save it? Roll on Friday and let it be the last day!

magickingdom

From The Age newspaper in oz, will the maze stadium be ready in time? ;)

Rules series on cards for 2009
October 29, 2008 - 6:54PM

The AFL and the Gaelic Athletic Association have set dates next year for the International Rules Tests in Ireland - provided Friday night's game goes smoothly.

GAA president Nickey Brennan has again emphasised that the future of the concept would only be secure if there was not excessive physical aggression on the field.

Australian and Irish officials met in Melbourne ahead of Friday's series decider at the MCG.

They confirmed 2010 will be a year off and AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said the league might consider some form of State Of Origin to take the place of the international Tests.

The AFL and GAA plan to resume the series in 2011 in Australia and the following year in Ireland.

Brennan remains confident after last Friday's opening Test in Perth that the series has a future.

It was called off last year and nearly cancelled for good after on-field violence during the 2005 and '06 games.

"I've said all along we want to get through this series, we want to make sure it's played in the right spirit - I'm certainly filled with confidence after last Friday," Brennan said.

"There is the proviso there at all stages and ... we reserve the right to reconsider the matter, but I don't want to be talking down too pessimistically.

"I'd like to be talking optimistically, but let's wait and see.

"As I said at the time (after Perth), it is half-time in every sense of the word."

Demetriou is also upbeat about the series' future.

"We're pretty confident this series is being played in the right spirit and all things being equal, we're looking forward to going to Ireland next year to help the GAA celebrate their 125th year," he said.

Ulster is likely to host the first Test next year on October 24, with the second game at Dublin's Croke Park on November 1.

Demetriou said the confirmation of a two-year cycle for the international rules meant the AFL might have their own exhibition games, such as State Of Origin in the "off" year.

This year, Victoria played a composite Dream Team in the AFL's Hall Of Fame tribute match.

"I started to think about that sort of option when we agreed it would be better to have a two-year cycle," Demetriou said.

"It does leave open the option of the AFL competition doing something of its own in 2010."

The AFL are also likely to agree to two GAA proposals that will limit the AFL recruiting of young Irish players - an issue causing great concern in Ireland.

The GAA want the minimum recruiting age of Irish players raised to 19 and a quota system introduced for AFL clubs.

The AFL Commission is likely to approve the requests by early next year.

"We take these matters very seriously, the fact they've been raised with us," Demetriou said.

Brennan stressed that the junior international rules series between the two countries "is dead, it will not be resumed".

© 2008 AAP

magickingdom

Quote from: AFS on October 29, 2008, 01:53:12 PM
They played the match in Galway a couple of years ago under lights didn't they? Assuming they're planning something similar in Ulster, the match would have to be in Casement because Clones doesn't have any lights. Or I suppose if interest in the series continues to wane over here they might be able to stick it somewhere smaller like Newry or Omagh.

what are you basing that on? next years series will sell out in ireland just like the last one did...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AFS on October 29, 2008, 01:53:12 PM
They played the match in Galway a couple of years ago under lights didn't they? Assuming they're planning something similar in Ulster, the match would have to be in Casement because Clones doesn't have any lights. Or I suppose if interest in the series continues to wane over here they might be able to stick it somewhere smaller like Newry or Omagh.

They did indeed, was at it, the hurling before it was the better game though...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...