Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doire abú

Quote from: Jinxy on October 19, 2008, 12:36:26 AM
You're not a boxer though. He'd be destroyed by any half decent international heavyweight. Even with boxing at it's lowest ebb this just smacks of a publicity stunt. So he won an amateur boxing title when he was a young fella. Big deal. He could become Australian champion and it would still mean nothing. And if you think otherwise I'd like you to name the current Australian heavyweight champion.

Everyone knows its John Hopoate. Wait for the best bit....

he's a former rugby league player. :D

stephenite

John Hopoate - suspended for consistently trying to insert a digit up opponents holes in the tackle whilst playing rugby league, he didn't try this just the once

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=S8KtKh32d9g

HeaveHo

Quote from: Jinxy on October 19, 2008, 12:36:26 AM
You're not a boxer though. He'd be destroyed by any half decent international heavyweight. Even with boxing at it's lowest ebb this just smacks of a publicity stunt. So he won an amateur boxing title when he was a young fella. Big deal. He could become Australian champion and it would still mean nothing. And if you think otherwise I'd like you to name the current Australian heavyweight champion.

Anthony Mundine switched from rugby league to boxing successfully. Fought Mikael Kessler twice for the title - lost on points both times but well above average.

thejuice

Quote from: stephenite on October 19, 2008, 04:57:04 AM
John Hopoate - suspended for consistently trying to insert a digit up opponents holes in the tackle whilst playing rugby league, he didn't try this just the once

no surprises he boxing now, he seems naturally drawn to the ring
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maguire01

Hadn't been following this thread...
Quote from: bridgegael on October 08, 2008, 02:02:19 PM
Quote from: JMohan on October 08, 2008, 01:51:53 PM
Freeman never played
i think you'll find he played in the '03 series in australia.

Quote from: JMohan on October 08, 2008, 02:34:39 PM
If he did it was the stupidest decision ever by a rules manager
Why so?

Just had a read at the Irish News monthly sport magazine and Tommy did indeed play in 2003 and scored 2 points.

stiffler

Does anyone know is there gonna be delayed coverage of this game shown sometime this weekend, so that all of us who have to work Fridays get to see the game????
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

JMohan

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 19, 2008, 01:59:45 PM
Freeman never played

Why so?

Just had a read at the Irish News monthly sport magazine and Tommy did indeed play in 2003 and scored 2 points.
In my opinion he is not a Compromise Rules player ...
He's not physically strong enough for the Rules game
He hasn't the mentality to withstand the constant pyschological and physical taunting
He's too small to compete for his own ball

JMohan

Quote from: stephenite on October 19, 2008, 04:57:04 AM
It went on for a while before they decided to do anything about him too ... very pyschologically damaging

Doire abú

Read somewhere that Friday's game starts at 11.20am Irish time, I thought it was supposed to be 9.30am??

Muzz

Quote from: Doire abú on October 20, 2008, 12:21:22 AM
Read somewhere that Friday's game starts at 11.20am Irish time, I thought it was supposed to be 9.30am??

First test coverage starts at 11:10am on RTE1.  Second test coverage starts at 8:30am on RTE2. 

Red Hurley

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 16, 2008, 03:51:36 PM
Bernard Brogan is the latest to pull out. Marty McGrath has been called in to replace him.
Some of the papers mentioned Ronan Clarke hasn't attended training sessions since being named on the stand-by list, is this due to Pearse Og commtiments or  what? Hard to believe he's being continually overlooked, he doesn't appear to be the type to throw the head up, maybe he's just decided to focus on the Armagh final.

It's a disgrace that Ronan Clarke wasn't picked, he would have went if picked, stand by my arse!

bridgegael

Quote from: JMohan on October 20, 2008, 12:17:52 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 19, 2008, 01:59:45 PM
Freeman never played

Why so?

In my opinion he is not a Compromise Rules player ...
He's not physically strong enough for the Rules game
He hasn't the mentality to withstand the constant pyschological and physical taunting
He's too small to compete for his own ball

och  would ya quit.  from memory tommy did very well in the series,  why would you say he hasn't the mentality to deal with  the rough stuff??  have you anything to back that up??
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Jinxy

This is the way I see it going. If ticket sales for the 2nd game are reasonable then there won't be much trouble in the 1st game. If ticket sales are poor I GUARANTEE there will be a serious mill-up to generate a bit of interest for the 2nd test. Either that or some PR stunt will create tension between the two camps in the run-up to the 2nd game  (i.e. one of the Aussies saying someone is going to get it on the Irish team, like they did with Geraghty last time).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bridgegael

i see the gaelic life are doing daily footage from the team down under on their website.  worth checking out.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"