Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty88

Aww we're getting hammered this year. Thanks Boylan.

Why wasnt big Joe given the job? Only man for it.
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

orangeman

Just finished reading the papers - still can't believe he picked that goalie from his own club - I hope it works out for him all the same.

thejuice

QuoteBoylan disappointed at AFL players' lack of interest
08 October 2008

Sean Boylan has expressed disappointment at the fact that some of the Irish players based in Australia didn't make themselves available for the International Rules series later this month.

Laois man Colm Begley is the only AFL player in the Ireland manager's squad which was announced at a press conference on Tuesday. Tadhg Kennelly, who was due to captain the Irish team, Martin Clarke and Setanta O hAilpin weren't considered due to injury, but while Boylan didn't refer to specific players, he privately would have been disappointed that the likes of Aisake O hAilpin, Pierce Hanley and Brendan Murphy didn't attend any of the trials held in recent weeks.

"Tadhg was to be with us, five of the other Australian-based players for different reasons were not with us but that was their choice," he said.

"Martin is out because of injury and others chose not to and that's their decision and that's fine. Whether there was pressure coming from any other quarter or not, I don't know.

"When it came up first, people were saying that 'you can't be bringing all the lads out there' but that wasn't the way that we looked at it.

"We looked at it as these are Irishmen and you give them a chance. Some wanted to take the chances and some didn't.

"We would have liked to have seen them at some of the sessions but again you move on because that's the way life is. You either want to play it or you don't."

Boylan faces an anxious wait before his squad departs for Australia, with many of his 27-man panel involved in important club matches over the next two weekends.

It is believed that Kerry's Tommy Walsh won't be able to travel unless his club Kerins O'Rahilly's suffer a surprise defeat to Dingle in the county SFC quarter-final this weekend.

The official party fly out on Saturday week, but later flights will be added for players involved in club action that weekend, including Benny Coulter who will play for Mayobridge in the Ulster club championship against St. Gall's of Antrim.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Our Nail Loney

Read through my post history a few weeks back lads, I was saying that the 8/15 about the aussies was a cert, thank you sean for confirming this!! I got a good bit on with stan james at this price...

Was checking there, the only place offering odds now is paddy power, and hes going 1/4 australia

8)

Onlooker

Quote from: heffo on October 08, 2008, 08:58:31 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 07, 2008, 10:58:22 PM
Since 2001 every County has been represented except:

Waterford, Clare, Tipp, Limerick, Antrim, Monaghan, Louth, Leitrim, Kilkenny, Wicklow, and Carlow.

Declan Browne played in 2004 AFAIR...
You are right heffo, Declan Browne played in 2004 in Croke Park.  He also travelled to Australia in 2003, but was injured (taken out) in a warm up match and was unable to play in the Test Matches.  Screenexile, I was in Croke Park in 2004 for the second test and saw Declan Browne playing.  He missed the first test that year, because he played in the Tipperary County Final on the Saturday.

heffo

Quote from: Onlooker on October 08, 2008, 12:49:27 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 08, 2008, 08:58:31 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 07, 2008, 10:58:22 PM
Since 2001 every County has been represented except:

Waterford, Clare, Tipp, Limerick, Antrim, Monaghan, Louth, Leitrim, Kilkenny, Wicklow, and Carlow.

Declan Browne played in 2004 AFAIR...
You are right heffo, Declan Browne played in 2004 in Croke Park.  He also travelled to Australia in 2003, but was injured (taken out) in a warm up match and was unable to play in the Test Matches.  Screenexile, I was in Croke Park in 2004 for the second test and saw Declan Browne playing.  He missed the first test that year, because he played in the Tipperary County Final on the Saturday.

I knew I wasn't going crazy!

AFAIR he got a knee into the hip in a warm up game that ruled him out in 2003..

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteRead through my post history a few weeks back lads, I was saying that the 8/15 about the aussies was a cert, thank you sean for confirming this!! I got a good bit on with stan james at this price...

Was checking there, the only place offering odds now is paddy power, and hes going 1/4 australia

Have to say I fancy the 5/2 about Ireland. Over the past decade there isn't much difference in the wins ratio between the teams (possibly 5-4 to the Aussies?). Its a new Australian side and I don't think we'll be as uncompetitive as in 05 and 06 (and we won the first test in 06 I think?).

I think Australia are desrvedly the favourites but that Ireland shouldn't be as long as 5/2.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 08, 2008, 01:30:02 PM
QuoteRead through my post history a few weeks back lads, I was saying that the 8/15 about the aussies was a cert, thank you sean for confirming this!! I got a good bit on with stan james at this price...

Have to say I fancy the 5/2 about Ireland. Over the past decade there isn't much difference in the wins ratio between the teams (possibly 5-4 to the Aussies?). Its a new Australian side and I don't think we'll be as uncompetitive as in 05 and 06 (and we won the first test in 06 I think?).

I think Australia are desrvedly the favourites but that Ireland shouldn't be as long as 5/2.

Put your money where your mouth is and stop throwing it away in the bot all your life!

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

JMohan

If he did it was the stupidest decision ever by a rules manager

45GoneShort

Can't believe Declan Maxwell hasn't even been considered yet again. I know he doesn't play as many high profile games as many of those that were selected, but I'd ask anyone here that has seen him play in championship games for Leitrim to tell me he has not impressed you. The original full forward before donaghy made it fashionable, he has serious fielding ability, natural scorer and 6ft 3 as well.

P.s he took Finian Hanley to the cleaners in the Championship this year - yet Hanley gets selected based on his marshalling of Donaghy in Croker!!

RealSpiritof98

Only getting round to this but Ronan clarkes omission is dumbfounding, Boylan must be off his rocker.

screenexile

Boylan cited Clarke's omission as an issue of commitment. Clarke was still involved with his club and wasn't able to make as many of the training weekends as the rest apparently. Can't see how this is true as I'm guessing a fair heap of Kerry and Tyrone players missed a lot of training as well. I also think it's ludicrous to go there without arguably the best all round full forward in the game!