Is it time to close our doors?

Started by fred the red, September 10, 2008, 06:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the gaaboard.com be made members only?

Yes
No

the Deel Rover

i think the board is just fine the way it is its no harm having a non gaa section lots of lads have interests outside of the gaa and this gives us the option to discuss them there . As for paying a subsription fee i'd pay it no problem but i prefered buds idea a few months ago when he suggested the gaa board members should buy a horse now that would be money well spent ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tankie

maybe we should just ban the discussion of foreign sports and have a black list of things that people dont like discussing incase somebody doesnt agree with them

or

we could just change the name to nordieboard.com and your IP addess states if you can join or not  ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tankie on September 11, 2008, 10:20:44 AM
maybe we should just ban the discussion of foreign sports and have a black list of things that people dont like discussing incase somebody doesnt agree with them

or

we could just change the name to nordieboard.com and your IP addess states if you can join or not  ;)

This board would be a very dull place without us "nordies"!  ;)

As for the initial question, of course we shouldn't "close" the board (ie: make it like OWC to join), democracy is the way of the board, and the Mods generally do a very good job (except regarding smcfee [who btw was just a wum but shouldn't have been asked to change his handle] and my warning! ;) ;)) and also in tandam with the Mods the board generally does a great job of policing itself.

Why fix something that isn't broken!

As for a subscription fee, while I would have no problem paying one, I do feel that it would put off a good few people from posting, alot of genuine posters do not post an awful lot, yet like the fact that their members and can lurk whilst retaining the ability to post if and when they like.
Tbc....

thejuice

£5 for the privilage of posting here? Its not like its the Mensa forum. If ye threw in a free t-shirt, maybe.

I dont think theres any real problem. Its grand the way it is.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

nifan

The way OWC works is that members can post, but only those "patrons" who have paid the fiver can start topics.

Requiring money before any posting occurs would prevent people starting posting in the first place.

full back

Quote from: nifan on September 11, 2008, 01:02:13 PM
The way OWC works is that members can post, but only those "patrons" who have paid the fiver can start topics.

Requiring money before any posting occurs would prevent people starting posting in the first place.

Does it make a difference nifan?
Or would it just mean some w4nkers hijacking topics on a regular basis?

nifan

I think so full back.

Most posters start by reading topics, then posting the odd comment or two. After a while they may become regulars.
Coming to a site demanding you pay money up front will scare offmany casual posters.

his holiness nb

Is there not "patrons only" threads there nifan? I thought I saw something like that over there.
Ask me holy bollix

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 11, 2008, 01:11:46 PM

Is there not "patrons only" threads there nifan? I thought I saw something like that over there.

Yeah nearly 50% of them are!
Tbc....

nifan

yes there is that as well. But there is still the opportunity for new posters to post on the general threads.
Not sure which are patrons only

KCGaelicFootball

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 11, 2008, 10:19:29 AM
i think the board is just fine the way it is its no harm having a non gaa section lots of lads have interests outside of the gaa and this gives us the option to discuss them there . As for paying a subsription fee i'd pay it no problem but i prefered buds idea a few months ago when he suggested the gaa board members should buy a horse now that would be money well spent ;)

I have been on the board for only a few short days now and I think it is fine except for a few wankers on here causing trouble. I think that we should just black list them and keep it open. If it does go to members only will I still be able to come here and read and post about GAA???
ta se mor

full back

Quote from: KCGaelicFootball on September 11, 2008, 05:21:46 PM

I have been on the board for only a few short days now and I think it is fine except for a few w**kers on here causing trouble. I think that we should just black list them and keep it open. If it does go to members only will I still be able to come here and read and post about GAA???

Your grasp of the English language has improved ten fold in the last few days KC............... :o

KCGaelicFootball

Quote from: full back on September 11, 2008, 05:27:37 PM
Quote from: KCGaelicFootball on September 11, 2008, 05:21:46 PM

I have been on the board for only a few short days now and I think it is fine except for a few w**kers on here causing trouble. I think that we should just black list them and keep it open. If it does go to members only will I still be able to come here and read and post about GAA???

Your grasp of the English language has improved ten fold in the last few days KC............... :o

Is that a good thing? I am trying to recall all of my lingo that I have learned over the years. I actually have a book at home to read from to use the slang. Isn't such something that a yank would do right???
ta se mor

ludermor

Indeed....
Are you taking bets FB?

full back

Quote from: ludermor on September 11, 2008, 05:49:52 PM

Indeed....
Are you taking bets FB?

No way Luder, I would be looking to have a bet rather than take one ;)