Is it time to close our doors?

Started by fred the red, September 10, 2008, 06:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the gaaboard.com be made members only?

Yes
No

pintsofguinness

Quote from: the green man on September 10, 2008, 10:43:50 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 10, 2008, 10:37:25 PM
Why? You haven't given me a reason why nor have you given me a reason (that would convince me) that the board should be closed.

No-one on this thread has advocated that the board close. Certainly not me. The title is 'Is it time to close our doors' I'm assuming this is regards to what has happened to Fearon on another board. If the Non GAA section wasnt here, those from another board wouldnt be either.
Yes I know no one was saying to close the board - I was talking about closing up the membership. 
If the Non gaa section wasnt here - it'd be in the gaa section with (non gaa) in the subject heading like every non gaa topic was before the seperate forum was created.  Surely you're not suggesting that we must only discuss gaa topics on this board because as Tony says GAA people like to talk about other things too!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Minder

Quote from: the green man on September 10, 2008, 10:21:35 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 10, 2008, 10:15:10 PM
Quote from: the green man on September 10, 2008, 10:13:56 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 10, 2008, 10:12:37 PM
What if you have minimal interest in gaelic football, as i do? It would be a football only board in all but name.

What did you do before the advent of the Non GAA section?

I wasnt a member of the board.

Well do you see what is says at the top of the page, just below the line of advertisments? GAAboard.com. That is what we were principally about, and maybe its about time we got back to that. I've nothing against you like, but as was, a GAA forum for GAA fans to talk GAA. Maybe the mods should change the board name to IrishSportandPoliticsandStuff.com

Allow me to clarify, when i say i have no interest in gaelic football that is not the same as saying i have no interest in the GAA, i am a hurling man. I would mainly post in the hurling section, when it isnt lying dormant, and the Local GAA section as well as the Non GAA section. I would prefer not to wade through 6 threads on what Stephen O Neill had for breakfast. Each to their own though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the green man

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 10, 2008, 10:48:08 PM
because as Tony says GAA people like to talk about other things too!

Obviously, as over half the posts on this board are in the 'Non' section.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: the green man on September 10, 2008, 10:55:30 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 10, 2008, 10:48:08 PM
because as Tony says GAA people like to talk about other things too!

Obviously, as over half the posts on this board are in the 'Non' section.

exactly.  Is there something wrong with that?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

the green man

As I said maybe it time to change the name of the board then to IrishSportandPoliticsandStuff.com :P

Colonel Cool

Its ok the way it is. It has faults but dont we all! 

Sideshow Bob has never posted on a Gaa topic. Why is he pushing for change? I'll let him answer that himself.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

stephenite

I've no problem with the current structure of the board and it's sections, but I'd be in favour of a subscription being introduced, only charged when you want to post something. The only reason for this would be that generally only people that were serious about posting would post and cut on WUM's or those trying to push a particular agenda.
I'd imagine that likes of NIFAN and MW and Sammy etc would have no poblem paying a fiver to continue on here and anyone else from OWC or anywhere else that wanted to.

J70

Quote from: the green man on September 10, 2008, 10:21:35 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 10, 2008, 10:15:10 PM
Quote from: the green man on September 10, 2008, 10:13:56 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 10, 2008, 10:12:37 PM
What if you have minimal interest in gaelic football, as i do? It would be a football only board in all but name.

What did you do before the advent of the Non GAA section?

I wasnt a member of the board.

Well do you see what is says at the top of the page, just below the line of advertisments? GAAboard.com. That is what we were principally about, and maybe its about time we got back to that. I've nothing against you like, but as was, a GAA forum for GAA fans to talk GAA. Maybe the mods should change the board name to IrishSportandPoliticsandStuff.com

What's wrong with it the way it is? The separate non-GAA section was created a few years back because lads wanted to discuss things other than GAA as well and those threads were pushing GAA threads off the first page when everything was thrown in together (in the same way that later still a separate hurling section was created because the poorly subscribed hurling threads kept disappearing down the list). Besides, the GAA section will get fairly quiet for a few months after the football final, with not a huge amount happening except for the provincial club championships, the international rules (is that even on this year?), the All Stars and the odd managerial appointment. It certainly won't be as busy as it does be in the spring/summer, especially for those of us in exile who are more cut off from non-intercounty stuff. The non-GAA section keeps a lot of people coming back in the meantime.

Anyway, if you don't like the non-GAA section, don't visit it. The moderators are there to take care of any pricks who join just to stir shite.

carribbear

Wee suggestion - Just get rid of the non-gaa fans ??

The Gs Man

Quote from: tyrone86 on September 10, 2008, 09:39:24 PM
Quote from: The Gs Man on September 10, 2008, 09:36:52 PM
Just get rid of the non-gaa discussion section and stick to the GAA talk. 

But then where would we get our updates on Captain Kennedy?  ;)

http://www.myspace.com/captainkennedy   :P
Keep 'er lit

brokencrossbar1

Wise up lads.  I have been a viewer/member of the board for 6-7 years now and every so often there are incidents like this.  Some of them have come from interlopers, some have come from regular members of the board.(anyone remember Tony's Myspace that was set up).  I have no issue about paying a subscription but I feel it is wrong to close the site to non members.  OWC is a very emotive website in that there are issues surrounding the external structures of the background to NI that create tension.  Bar a few arguments about the GAA being a supporter of terrorism(which is easily debunked) it is a fairly open organisation.

In my view to close the shop in any way is further fuel to anti gaa people to have a lash.  Let the past time posters have a go at us and we will debunk them.  Generally the likes of sammy and nifan have other interests outside of GAA bashing :P so that is why they stick around.  The trollers eventually drift off (hint hint Evil Genius ;))  What happened to Tony is wrong but in no way should it dictate how we change what has been a thoroughly successful system.

bennydorano

I dont think there are any major problems with the board (certainly not with T Fearon - who is one of the most enjoyable to read posters ever!), but I would be in favour of a subscription based board which would in theory stop a few maggots and substanially cut down on multiple personalities which I would say is the big problem, some people will post any oul sh1te if they know they've another username to use. 

Could a subscription of £5 per member be used to improve the board itself - technically or whatever? Who currently bears the expenses involved?  Do we still have to up sticks every so often or are them days gone?

Maiden1

Whats the problem?

You get 4 choices.

GAA Discussion  
Hurling Discussion
Local GAA Discussion
Non GAA Discussion  

If you want to discuss general gaa, click on the GAA discussion, if you want to hear about what's happening within your county click on the Local GAA Discussion and if you don't want to talk about GAA go to the Non GAA Discussion.  It's not like having a Non GAA Discussion actually inconveniences you.  Just don't click on it.  The same with people complaining about certain topics on the board, if you see the topic OWC, or hot women or whatever and you have no interest in it don't click it, it's not compulsory to read through every thread.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bennydorano on September 11, 2008, 10:00:14 AM
I dont think there are any major problems with the board (certainly not with T Fearon - who is one of the most enjoyable to read posters ever!), but I would be in favour of a subscription based board which would in theory stop a few maggots and substanially cut down on multiple personalities which I would say is the big problem, some people will post any oul sh1te if they know they've another username to use. 

Could a subscription of £5 per member be used to improve the board itself - technically or whatever? Who currently bears the expenses involved?  Do we still have to up sticks every so often or are them days gone?

I think that was mooted a while back because of Billy Boots and his top 5 Songs lists he runs in the build up to christmas :P  There was a problem with the bandwidth or something like that but since the simple machines forum has been adopted as the host it is no longer an issue.  If the service was improved I would pay the sub but not to stop people posting.

AZOffaly

And with a subscription service, other things would come into play. Downtime, or board crashes would become more of an issue because people are paying to use it, etc etc etc. And other things would be much more under the limelight when people have money on the line. €5 or whatever is not a lot, but can you ban someone who pays up? Do you return their money?