Ulster Scotch

Started by Square Ball, December 31, 2006, 10:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteUlster Scotch is a s legitimate as that guttural crap they speak in about 1% of the south of Ireland.

What an erudite and cosmopolitan poster, it makes quite a change from the stereotype of OWC fans as big ignorant bigoted people. Maith An Fear.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tyssam5

Quote from: Agnes Dipesto on September 12, 2008, 06:32:13 PM
That ad was hilarious. All it was missing was the 'Oor Wullie' cartoon.

That's what I was thinking, I used to read the cartoon in the Sunday Post, I never knew I grew up bilingual, should I put it on my CV?

magickingdom

Quote from: bignifanatic on September 12, 2008, 06:40:04 PM
Once again the hatred spews forth from gaelic men, this time under the guise of attacking a legitimate language that has been around for centuries.

Ulster Scotch is a s legitimate as that guttural crap they speak in about 1% of the south of Ireland.

get real, its an embarrassment to any thinking unionist

ziggysego

Once again the hatred spews forth from gaelic men, this time under the guise of attacking a legitimate language that has been around for centuries.

To be fair, the non-gaa fans from the OWC that come over here think it's a joke too.
Testing Accessibility

tyssam5

So spakin a tha assembly. Do yis no think tha the translation o documents and either assembly ganins owin into Irish is f**king waste of money as well?

Seriously I did Irish at school and I enjoyed it and fair play to anyone who wants to learn it. But translating a bunch of crap that no one in their right mind would read in English into Irish, Ulster-Scoots, Hindu and whatever else is complete joke? If they want to spend the money why not spend it on a language center for kids?

Rossfan

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 12, 2008, 08:47:25 PM
? If they want to spend the money why not spend it on a language center for kids?

Maybe on a apelling CENTRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ziggysego

Quote from: Rossfan on September 12, 2008, 08:52:44 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on September 12, 2008, 08:47:25 PM
? If they want to spend the money why not spend it on a language center for kids?

Maybe on a apelling CENTRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should go to the SPELLING centre too
Testing Accessibility

under the bar

It's funny that Ulster Scots only came to the fore as a language once suitability for public sector jobs was determined by education and ability.... just think about that one.

lurgan-gael

did Ulster Scots not originate in the prisons of ulster when the loyalists got jealous of republican prisoners learning Gaeilge? They then thought up something people with average mental age of 12 could learn and then pass it off as part of their culture.

hi ho there wee laddie hi hooows you hi ho today theeen.

In fairness though it does provide hours upon hours of light entertainment

MW

Quote from: under the bar on September 12, 2008, 10:34:17 PM
It's funny that Ulster Scots only came to the fore as a language once suitability for public sector jobs was determined by education and ability.... just think about that one.

Quote from: lurgan-gael on September 12, 2008, 10:50:39 PM
did Ulster Scots not originate in the prisons of ulster when the loyalists got jealous of republican prisoners learning Gaeilge? They then thought up something people with average mental age of 12 could learn and then pass it off as part of their culture.

hi ho there wee laddie hi hooows you hi ho today theeen.

In fairness though it does provide hours upon hours of light entertainment

Do a little Google search for "Weaver poets" or "rhyming weavers", fellas.

MW

Quote from: ziggysego on September 12, 2008, 08:18:40 PM

To be fair, the non-gaa fans from the OWC that come over here think it's a joke too.

Speaking for myself, I think there's a legitimate Scots language/dialect history there (and wider culture) that's been obscured to some extent by some political moves and odd attempts at promotion.

the green man

MW, you cant serioulsy consider Ulster Scots to be a language? You cant. Sure its what you hear in and around Ballymena. A twang yes. A language no.

MW

Quote from: the green man on September 12, 2008, 11:08:47 PM
MW, you cant serioulsy consider Ulster Scots to be a language? You cant. Sure its what you hear in and around Ballymena. A twang yes. A language no.

Scots is a language, or a dialect - it's a matter of some debate among linguists and historians. Ulster Scots would be a dialect or subset of Scots.

the green man

I'll give you Scots Gaelic as a language, but not Ulster Scotch. Sure Ulster Scotch is nothing more than what youd hear in Yorkshire. A variation of English with its own phrases.

MW

Quote from: the green man on September 12, 2008, 11:16:09 PM
I'll give you Scots Gaelic as a language, but not Ulster Scotch. Sure Ulster Scotch is nothing more than what youd hear in Yorkshire. A variation of English with its own phrases.

I'm not talking about Scots Gaelic, I'm talking about Scots. Google "Scots language".