Irishmen in British uniforms

Started by magickingdom, September 05, 2008, 08:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: Tankie on September 09, 2008, 11:38:27 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 09, 2008, 11:24:49 AM
Tankie I would make the same statement about an Irishman joining the French/German/Russian armies.
If someone is killed whilst fighting for a foreign nation I will not shed any tears.
As for your economic or culturial/sporting comparisons, well they are just ott, but I'm sure you knew that already.

i think you are being a bit harsh on people joining foreign armies. without the world armies defending freedom we would probably be all been run by germans or russians, its all well and good to say that people shouldnt join other armies but if Ireland was ever to be attached the first place the Government would go running to is the Brits and I dont think many would complain about them landing in Ireland to defend our fredom just because we do not have an army big enough to defend the country. You are taking a very old world view on joining foreign armies.

There's many an Irishman down the centuries joined foreign armies to fight the English, cos it was the only way they could get back at the enemy.  Personally, I feel nothing but contempt for Irishmen who join the British army, especially considering their behaviour on the streets of the six counties

donalmac99

Quote from: red hander on September 09, 2008, 11:42:25 AM
Tankie I would make the same statement about an Irishman joining the French/German/Russian armies.
If someone is killed whilst fighting for a foreign nation I will not shed any tears.
As for your economic or culturial/sporting comparisons, well they are just ott, but I'm sure you knew that already.

i think you are being a bit harsh on people joining foreign armies. without the world armies defending freedom we would probably be all been run by germans or russians, its all well and good to say that people shouldnt join other armies but if Ireland was ever to be attached the first place the Government would go running to is the Brits and I dont think many would complain about them landing in Ireland to defend our fredom just because we do not have an army big enough to defend the country. You are taking a very old world view on joining foreign armies.

There's many an Irishman down the centuries joined foreign armies to fight the English, cos it was the only way they could get back at the enemy.  Personally, I feel nothing but contempt for Irishmen who join the British army, especially considering their behaviour on the streets of the six counties

you feel nothing but contempt for your fellow irishman??

says a lot about you.

nifan

Quote from: donalmac99 on September 09, 2008, 11:47:27 AM

says a lot about you.

While I dont agree with red handers point, your argument does not make any sense.
Should he not have contempt for any group or individual as they are fellow irishmen?
Should people not have contempt for the members of say an irish neo nazi group as they are fellow irishmen?

donalmac99

Quote from: nifan on September 09, 2008, 11:56:49 AM

says a lot about you.

While I dont agree with red handers point, your argument does not make any sense.
Should he not have contempt for any group or individual as they are fellow irishmen?
Should people not have contempt for the members of say an irish neo nazi group as they are fellow irishmen?

i would have contempt for them as Nazis...not irishmen

hope that helps

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

says a lot about you.

Nifan, welcome back, hope you had a good honeymoon.
There's really no point in trying to have a discussion with donaldmc, he is only here to wind up and mix, he's also fond of personal insults and threatening people (see the thinly vailed ref to Tonys employers on another thread), also be careful as anything you say may be libellous, but at the end of the day, he isn't arsed!  ;)
Hope that helps.  ;) ;D
Tbc....

donalmac99

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 09, 2008, 12:07:43 PM

says a lot about you.

There's really no point in trying to have a discussion with donaldmc, he is only here to wind up and mix, he's also fond of personal insults and threatening people (see the thinly vailed ref to Tonys employers on another thread), also be careful as anything you say may be libellous, but at the end of the day, he isn't arsed!  ;)

yet another attack on me and another false accusation

post reported

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: donalmac99 on September 09, 2008, 12:08:58 PM

says a lot about you.

post reported

You will obviously not be satisfied until either you get someone banned or get banned yourself.  ::)
Tbc....

full back

Quote from: donalmac99 on September 09, 2008, 12:08:58 PM

says a lot about you.

post reported

Where is the false accusation?

dungal is giving anyone who comes on here for reasonable debate a bad name, even themmuns ;) (or someone who is 1/2 themmuns, like nifan. How did the honeymoon go? )
He reported someome :o

red hander

Quote from: red hander on September 09, 2008, 11:42:25 AM

says a lot about you.

No, I feel nothing but contempt for my fellow Irishmen who join the British army.

says a lot about your ability to understand basic english

mylestheslasher

You must be off your head if you think the British army cares one rats arse about freedoms. Neither do the Yanks. All they care about is their own selfish interests. Sometimes that overlaps with the freedom of peoples in different parts of the world and when it does it becomes justification to the media. Most times it suppresses peoples freedoms but these people get labelled as terrorists, extremist and the media lap it up. The brits would not land here to defend our freedom unless there was something in it for them. Maybe if rain becomes a commodity we can expect a visit from these galant heros or God help us if the corrib gas field turns out to be massive. The british and yanks are responsible for genocide. After the gulf war the UN introduced sanctions (sponsored by our freedom loving heros in the US & UK) that resulted in the death of minimum 500,000 Iraqi children. I know they are only little brown people that live in the desert but still! I despise anyone who would join such a group of bastards for thrills, expecially someone from Ireland that should no better than most exactly what the brits are capable of. Same goes for the Yanks that use their military and secret service to try an topple democracys that won't play ball with them in South America.

Tankie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 09, 2008, 02:57:21 PM

You must be off your head if you think the British army cares one rats arse about freedoms. Neither do the Yanks. All they care about is their own selfish interests. Sometimes that overlaps with the freedom of peoples in different parts of the world and when it does it becomes justification to the media. Most times it suppresses peoples freedoms but these people get labelled as terrorists, extremist and the media lap it up. The brits would not land here to defend our freedom unless there was something in it for them. Maybe if rain becomes a commodity we can expect a visit from these galant heros or God help us if the corrib gas field turns out to be massive. The british and yanks are responsible for genocide. After the gulf war the UN introduced sanctions (sponsored by our freedom loving heros in the US & UK) that resulted in the death of minimum 500,000 Iraqi children. I know they are only little brown people that live in the desert but still! I despise anyone who would join such a group of b**tards for thrills, expecially someone from Ireland that should no better than most exactly what the brits are capable of. Same goes for the Yanks that use their military and secret service to try an topple democracys that won't play ball with them in South America.

what has gone on in the past has nothing to do with my point that if we were being invaded and the brits offered to help i dont think their would be too many complaining. Anyway if we had an army to defend the country it wouldnt be an issue but we all know that someone else will save us.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tankie on September 09, 2008, 04:21:49 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 09, 2008, 02:57:21 PM

You must be off your head if you think the British army cares one rats arse about freedoms. Neither do the Yanks. All they care about is their own selfish interests. Sometimes that overlaps with the freedom of peoples in different parts of the world and when it does it becomes justification to the media. Most times it suppresses peoples freedoms but these people get labelled as terrorists, extremist and the media lap it up. The brits would not land here to defend our freedom unless there was something in it for them. Maybe if rain becomes a commodity we can expect a visit from these galant heros or God help us if the corrib gas field turns out to be massive. The british and yanks are responsible for genocide. After the gulf war the UN introduced sanctions (sponsored by our freedom loving heros in the US & UK) that resulted in the death of minimum 500,000 Iraqi children. I know they are only little brown people that live in the desert but still! I despise anyone who would join such a group of b**tards for thrills, expecially someone from Ireland that should no better than most exactly what the brits are capable of. Same goes for the Yanks that use their military and secret service to try an topple democracys that won't play ball with them in South America.

what has gone on in the past has nothing to do with my point that if we were being invaded and the brits offered to help i dont think their would be too many complaining. Anyway if we had an army to defend the country it wouldnt be an issue but we all know that someone else will save us.

In fairness if Ireland was invaded, the only reason the Brits would get involved is because they wouldn't want a hostile force sitting in an island less then 60 miles from them.
Tbc....

mylestheslasher

Its not that simple. Learn from the past. Brits invade to help poor Ireland, when will they leave? Did they not invade 100's of years ago to help Diarmuid mcMurrugh and when did they leave. Britain is not in the business of helping people or countries, only themselves.

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 06, 2008, 12:25:52 PM
Blood thirsty pricks, they'll be at home in the British Army.

They`d be equally at home in Cullyhanna then  ;)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: maddog on September 09, 2008, 08:44:29 AM
Quote from: Tankie on September 08, 2008, 11:24:32 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 08, 2008, 10:44:56 PM
Cannot feel any sympathy for these lads, they sign up knowing the risks, you take the money you take the associated risks.
I however do feel for their families as they are the ones who really suffer.

I just find it difficult to understand why someone (Irishman) would want to join the British army.

could you not say the same for people who supports british soccer teams or work for british companies etc?

Ach now thats some leap
What do you mean maddog? You wouldnt die or kill for the company you work for? You wouldn't take a bullet for the person sitting at the desk beside you?  ???
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?