Cheap Flights to America

Started by Off The Fence, September 03, 2008, 04:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

So what yis are saying we haven't a hope?! Plus we will have a 8 month baby with us to make things even more interesting. I was thinking/hoping we would go through immigration in dublin and not have to change terminals in atlanta

gawa316

Quote from: viiv on June 23, 2010, 12:41:20 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on June 23, 2010, 12:14:09 PM
Anyone ever fly through Atlanta airport? Trying to get flights sorted for xmas to San Fran. The return trip stops at Atlanta but only gives us 1 hr 16 mins between the flights, will this be long enough? Booking with cheaptickets and it doesn't seem to say what terminal we fly in and out off

Are you heading with Delta? Went through it once, wasnt too bad but if you not connecting from a Delta flight to another Delta flight it might be tight.

On the way out its with delta but we change at JFK and have plenty of time. The way back the connection is with Air France which on reading comments here is going to be near impossible

STREET FIGHTER

Any good deals for flights to the USA to be had at the minute??

tyssam5

Quote from: gawa316 on June 23, 2010, 06:21:36 PM
So what yis are saying we haven't a hope?! Plus we will have a 8 month baby with us to make things even more interesting. I was thinking/hoping we would go through immigration in dublin and not have to change terminals in atlanta

Been through Atlanta a right few times. Usually I have to change terminal for the onward flight, if you go to the Atlanta airport website you should be able to work that out. Changing terminal isn't that big a deal there the train is fairly decent. You will clear immigration in Dublin, but you'll have to pick up your bags, bring them through customs and re-check them. I think if you change terminals you will also have to go through security again, so it'll depend on time of day etc what your wait is like. 1 hours 16 mins, at a guess I'd say 50/50 - make sure there's a later flight to your destination.

sammymaguire

busiest airport in the world Atlanta
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

orangeman

Quote from: sammymaguire on June 23, 2010, 09:47:35 PM
busiest airport in the world Atlanta

From memory you have to take a train between the terminals - the scale of things is massive.

Cosmo Kramer

Changed through Atlanta going from LA to Shannon two years ago, had to change terminal and get the train, but there was no extra security or any hassle, based on my experience any more than an hour would be plenty. Our flights were Delta to Delta so we were checked through from LA, but Delta and Air France are very connected so I would think as long as you can check through from wherever you are starting from, there should be no problem.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

FL/MAYO

Quote from: gawa316 on June 23, 2010, 06:29:05 PM
Quote from: viiv on June 23, 2010, 12:41:20 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on June 23, 2010, 12:14:09 PM
Anyone ever fly through Atlanta airport? Trying to get flights sorted for xmas to San Fran. The return trip stops at Atlanta but only gives us 1 hr 16 mins between the flights, will this be long enough? Booking with cheaptickets and it doesn't seem to say what terminal we fly in and out off

Are you heading with Delta? Went through it once, wasnt too bad but if you not connecting from a Delta flight to another Delta flight it might be tight.

On the way out its with delta but we change at JFK and have plenty of time. The way back the connection is with Air France which on reading comments here is going to be near impossible

When your coming back you should be able to check your bags all the way to your final destination. The time frame you have will make it tight but if the gates are close to each other you could make it. Is the Air France flight taking you home via Paris? I have seen bookings with Air France before that turn out to be with other airlines i.e Delta

gawa316

Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 23, 2010, 11:27:14 PM
When your coming back you should be able to check your bags all the way to your final destination. The time frame you have will make it tight but if the gates are close to each other you could make it. Is the Air France flight taking you home via Paris? I have seen bookings with Air France before that turn out to be with other airlines i.e Delta

The original flights I was looking at was just through atlanta, but don't think its worth the stress especially with a baby in tow. Found other flights that are about $100 more but better times. Plus the return leg is SF to Paris to Dublin, which cuts about 3 hours off the journey. If we miss the connection in Paris well at least we know there'll be a few other ones we can get

FL/MAYO

Quote from: gawa316 on June 23, 2010, 11:49:02 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 23, 2010, 11:27:14 PM

The original flights I was looking at was just through atlanta, but don't think its worth the stress especially with a baby in tow. Found other flights that are about $100 more but better times. Plus the return leg is SF to Paris to Dublin, which cuts about 3 hours off the journey. If we miss the connection in Paris well at least we know there'll be a few other ones we can get
[/quot

Good move, the less changing the better when travelling with a baby.

gawa316

Right got it down to 2 different routes...I think!!

Route 1.
Outward
Depart Dub 08.40, arrive Atlanta 12.55 (layover 1hr 50)

Depart Atlanta 14.45, arrive San Fran 17.03 Flights by Delta

Inward
Depart San Fran 15.35, arrive Paris 11.30 (layover 1hr 5)

Depart Paris 12.35, arrive Dub 13.35 Flights by Air France

Price: $1500

Route 2.
Outward

Depart Dub 06.00, arrive Amsterdam 08.40 (layover 2hr 35)

Depart Ams 11.15, arrive San Fran 13.30

Inward
Depart San Fran 15.50, arrive Ams 11.25 (layover 1hr 45)

Depart Ams 13.10, arrive Dub 13.50

All flights by KLM and cost: $1470

Any views would be greatly received, cause this is doing my head in!

muppet

Quote from: gawa316 on June 27, 2010, 09:34:30 AM

Route 1.
Outward

Inward
Depart San Fran 15.35, arrive Paris 11.30 (layover 1hr 5)

Depart Paris 12.35, arrive Dub 13.35 Flights by Air France

Price: $1500

Route 2.
Outward

Depart Dub 06.00, arrive Amsterdam 08.40 (layover 2hr 35)

Depart Ams 11.15, arrive San Fran 13.30

Inward
Depart San Fran 15.50, arrive Ams 11.25 (layover 1hr 45)

Depart Ams 13.10, arrive Dub 13.50

All flights by KLM and cost: $1470

Any views would be greatly received, cause this is doing my head in!

Ams is a much slicker airport as long as you can walk and you don't have US security. 1 hour 45 in Ams should be loads.
MWWSI 2017

FL/MAYO

Second one for me also, due to the arrival time in San Fran, this will give you some time to settle in the first night. The only problem is the early departure time from Dublin. Be prepared for the baby to wake early the next morning in San Fran due to jet lag.

Redgreenery

Quote from: gawa316 on June 27, 2010, 09:34:30 AM

Route 1.
Outward

I've gone out through Atlanta with a similar timetable before. We flew from Shannon to Atlanta to Chicago, with Delta. We were lucky enough to go through immigration in Shannon, but our flight left 2 hours late, and we had a 2 hour layover in Atlanta. Needless to say, we arrived in Atlanta and missed our connection.

Delta then put us on standby for the sole flight left to Chicago that evening with them. Here, you will be put waiting outside the gate, and if seats are available (normally by people not turning up) you will be put on the flight. We did get on the later flight but we had been told if we werent, they would put us up in a nearby hotel and guarntee us places on a flight the following morning. If your itenary is with delta the whole way from start to finish, they will look after you I reckon if you miss your connection. But you need to be prepared to put up with the hassle, you could end up having to spend alot of time in the airport.

If I was you, I would go with your Route 2. Did you check out flying through London though, generally much cheaper.

gawa316

Booked the second option there. Reading some reviews on KLM and they ain't good, anyone ever fly with them?