Cheap Flights to America

Started by Off The Fence, September 03, 2008, 04:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Not sure has it been post here yet

www.skyscanner.net

& ebookers.ie is sometimes cheaper than Ebookers.com Vice-versa
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

boston

Quote from: gawa316 on February 19, 2010, 12:04:52 AM
Right looking at flights to San Fran for xmas. Expedia, Kayak, Cheap Flights etc all coming back with about 380 stg with Delta, which sounds feckin great.

However we'll have a 8 month old nipper then and can't seem to get prices for them. On expedia when I add in the young 'un it doesn't even bring up the Delta flights. When I go through Kayak it doesn't give you the opportunity to add a baby so it just works out as 3 people.

Anyone ever flew with Delta and what their policy is on flying with babies?

Or if anyone else has booked on any other site could they let me know?

Cheers

Infants typically cost 10-20% of Adult Fair plus  about 50-65% of an adults applicable taxes and fees.  Quite often you have to add them via customer service, they control the availability of the bulk head seating where there are typically bassinets for infants.  Hope that helps

gawa316

Quote from: boston on February 19, 2010, 02:02:02 AM
Right looking at flights to San Fran for xmas. Expedia, Kayak, Cheap Flights etc all coming back with about 380 stg with Delta, which sounds feckin great.

However we'll have a 8 month old nipper then and can't seem to get prices for them. On expedia when I add in the young 'un it doesn't even bring up the Delta flights. When I go through Kayak it doesn't give you the opportunity to add a baby so it just works out as 3 people.

Cheers

Infants typically cost 10-20% of Adult Fair plus  about 50-65% of an adults applicable taxes and fees.  Quite often you have to add them via customer service, they control the availability of the bulk head seating where there are typically bassinets for infants.  Hope that helps

Cheers. Would I book our 2 seats then phone up customer services to book the baby? Thing is I don't want to book direct with Delta as they are about 2-300 more expensive than cheaptickets.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: gawa316 on February 20, 2010, 06:07:04 PM
Quote from: boston on February 19, 2010, 02:02:02 AM

Cheers

Cheers. Would I book our 2 seats then phone up customer services to book the baby? Thing is I don't want to book direct with Delta as they are about 2-300 more expensive than cheaptickets.

Booked a trip through Kayak with Continental last week for 2 adults and an 18 month old. When I had the prices that I was quoted on kayak for the 2 adults I called Continental customer service, they asked for the fair that I was quoted then they proceeded to finish the transaction for me with the child added.

gawa316

Quote from: FL/MAYO on February 20, 2010, 11:35:04 PM

Booked a trip through Kayak with Continental last week for 2 adults and an 18 month old. When I had the prices that I was quoted on kayak for the 2 adults I called Continental customer service, they asked for the fair that I was quoted then they proceeded to finish the transaction for me with the child added.

Ah deadly, cheers for that. Btw did you book a separate seat for your child or will they be on your lap? Seems to work out a lot cheaper on the lap but could be a long oul flight!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gawa316 on February 20, 2010, 11:44:34 PM

Ah deadly, cheers for that. Btw did you book a separate seat for your child or will they be on your lap? Seems to work out a lot cheaper on the lap but could be a long oul flight!
Surely you'd have to pay the full price of a seat then as they are taking up a seat that could be flogged at full price? Chances are anyway that an 8 month old is going to spend their time on your lap anyway. Rather you than me.

gawa316

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 20, 2010, 11:59:18 PM
Surely you'd have to pay the full price of a seat then as they are taking up a seat that could be flogged at full price? Chances are anyway that an 8 month old is going to spend their time on your lap anyway. Rather you than me.

Don't have to play full price for child under 2 regardless if they have there own seat as far as I see but obviously it is cheaper with them on your lap. Seen a few families with seats directly behind toilets/attendants area and like a fold down shelf/bed comes down in front off them this would be better than nothing!

But yeah it's going to be a bitch of a journey, especially with having to change in either NY or Atlanta :(

FL/MAYO

Quote from: gawa316 on February 20, 2010, 11:44:34 PM

I booked the child as a lap passanger, as far as I know if you book a seat for a child you pay full price, thats with Continental anyway. Traveled last year with my lad when he was 9 months and it was  a lot better than I expected but this year I have a funny feeling it will be a nightmare now that he will be 20 months old when we travel. Travelling from the U.S to Ireland will not be to bad as it will be his night time but on the way back it should be full on with him. :'(

downtown

Hi folks, just wondering which would be the best sites for cheap flights to America round July time? Heading to Arkansas.  Would it be best to book in advance or a last minute deal??

gawa316

Quote from: downtown on April 11, 2010, 08:30:45 PM
Hi folks, just wondering which would be the best sites for cheap flights to America round July time? Heading to Arkansas.  Would it be best to book in advance or a last minute deal??

Pricey that time of year but try www.cheaptickets.com, www.expedia.com or www.kayak.com and see what they come up with

gawa316

Anyone ever fly through Atlanta airport? Trying to get flights sorted for xmas to San Fran. The return trip stops at Atlanta but only gives us 1 hr 16 mins between the flights, will this be long enough? Booking with cheaptickets and it doesn't seem to say what terminal we fly in and out off

viiv

Quote from: gawa316 on June 23, 2010, 12:14:09 PM
Anyone ever fly through Atlanta airport? Trying to get flights sorted for xmas to San Fran. The return trip stops at Atlanta but only gives us 1 hr 16 mins between the flights, will this be long enough? Booking with cheaptickets and it doesn't seem to say what terminal we fly in and out off

Are you heading with Delta? Went through it once, wasnt too bad but if you not connecting from a Delta flight to another Delta flight it might be tight.

muppet

Quote from: gawa316 on June 23, 2010, 12:14:09 PM

Only went through once and it is about the worst US airport. Normally after landing you pick up your bags and clear customs & immigration (international flights). Atlanta seem to have an extra round of security for arriving passengers as well which adds another long queue.

If you can check in on the second flight before departing on the 1st flight you might have a chance. But if you have to check in between the flights I'd say you haven't a prayer of making the 2nd one.

Rule of thumb: Busy international airport - minimum 2 hours between flights
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

Connected through Atlanta a few months ago. We had to go through immigration there, collect our bags, have customs have a quick nose though them before they were X-rayed, change terminal, check the bags back in & board, took us about an hour and a half IIRC, it was tight. Bit of advice, don't let the woman go to the toilet just as you're about to enter the queue for immigration  >:(
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

FL/MAYO

I just flew back from Ireland last week with Continental, went from Shannon so I was expecting the same hold up as mentioned above in Newark of picking up bag, going through customs, going back through security again to catch my connecting flight but much to my delight all this is done at Shannon now before you board your flight to the U.S. When I arrived in Newark it was like I deplaned from a domestic flight all I had to do was go to my gate, it saved a good hour and a lot of hassle especially when travelling with a child.