Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

No harm to Oneill no article about St Colmans winning back to back Hogans . Small piece from Eammon Burns from Derry talking about burn out from his time winning it nothing to do with St colmans achievement . Jarlath Burns wrote a great article last year on the tradition of the College his (Alma Mater ) wishing them well but this year the no mention of congradulations or anything .

bonzo

Generally the Gaelic Life is more of a browse than a read. Jarlath Burns and Joe Brolly are good feature writers, and worth the price of the paper on their own. There is little real analysis of any depth or substance beyond Senior intercounty football, and even then......it can be skimpy too.
I still buy it mind you. there are some good ideas in it, like the team of the week, the betting forecasts etc, All tit bit journalism, but dont expect a Wishie Fogarty, Martin Breheny  or a Colm Keyes.
Perhaps they should expand their sources and some volunteers around the province would write for them a piece or two containing the finer and really interesting details of some school or club matches of note.When it comes to some games, like the Hogan Cup articles and Ulster U-21 Championship, it seems as if they have to put something in with 'at the desk knowledge' and it looks so contrived and forced at times. At least they get the players names correct in the captions. I'll still be buying it despite my rant.

ONeill

You said there was no mention of winning back to back Hogans. Eamonn Burns talks about the game and Cathal Murray in particular. I'm not privy to their ethos but I'd imagine that the GL is mostly about previewing - looking ahead to that weekend's games. It's up the the star columnists to write about (review) what they want and if Brolly, Burns, Devenney or whoever decide to not write about Newry it's their call. As for game reports sure isn't that what the dailies are for.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

NP 76

Understand what you are saying Oneill and Eammon Burns piece was very good and was speaking from experience but my point was that back to back All Irelands is a huge achievement and i thought it should of got more than a third of a page of coverage thats all . It wont put me off buying it as i look forward to it each week all the better its out the day earlier

ck

I agree, I still buy it despite its many flaws. Joe Brolly, the coaching articles and the unusual features are worth the money.
Flaw No. 1: Brendan Devenney!
How is that man still writing for them, he comes out with awful oul tripe. He was a maverick player who flattered to deceive and never did it when it counted. He also never won anything with Donegal (at least I don't think he did?) He isnt a manager or a coach.. yet he is given a page every week to show off his ignorance. Surely GL could do better than him?

The Worker

Does the Hallion still write for the paper?

it was the one reason why i stopped buying it.

ONeill

Quote from: The Worker on November 19, 2010, 08:10:23 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 19, 2010, 01:15:35 PM
I see the Gaelic Life are celebrating their 200th Edition today. Great to see it last to this length. Some good articles in it today. The Hallion is in up form today.

I don't see why the persist with this drivel, otherwise a good read.

Quote from: The Worker on April 23, 2011, 01:19:14 PM

It was after your similar post a couple of months ago that I began writing to them to remove him. Thankfully, it worked.

Bit sore on Devenney. Sometimes he calls it well.

ck

Quote from: ONeill on April 23, 2011, 01:43:03 PM
I see the Gaelic Life are celebrating their 200th Edition today. Great to see it last to this length. Some good articles in it today. The Hallion is in up form today.

It was after your similar post a couple of months ago that I began writing to them to remove him. Thankfully, it worked.

Could you "write" to your mates get Devenney removed? lol
I understand the desire to get someone writing who will call a spade a spade but surely there are more informed voices out there?

The Worker

Quote from: ONeill on April 23, 2011, 01:43:03 PM

Bit wierd you wrote to a paper over something I thought  :-\

ONeill

The Worker

AZOffaly

Was up in Cavan for the weekend and got this paper in the hotel. First time ever reading it, and I have to say I thought it was great. Good snapshot as an outsider about the Ulster Counties, and the club scenes there. Really enjoyed it. I wonder would there be a market to expand it, and go for a national edition, or maybe 4 provincials?

The club focus on Dunloy was very good as well. Well done lads.

Gaffer

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2011, 09:51:13 PM
Was up in Cavan for the weekend and got this paper in the hotel. First time ever reading it, and I have to say I thought it was great. Good snapshot as an outsider about the Ulster Counties, and the club scenes there. Really enjoyed it. I wonder would there be a market to expand it, and go for a national edition, or maybe 4 provincials?

The club focus on Dunloy was very good as well. Well done lads.

What tuk ye to Cavan?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

AZOffaly

Weekend in the Slieve Russell. Great weekend.

Went to Enniskillen for a scout around as well. Never realised O'Neill's had shops!! I thought they just supplied other sports shops. Never saw so many GAA jersies in one shop. I'll have to go back. Is there one in Belfast as well?

NP 76

O Neills have shops in Newry Strabane Magherafelt Belfast. Good clearance store in Belfast and Newry some good bargins at times