The Sunday Game & Joe Brolly.

Started by Bud Wiser, August 31, 2008, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haze

QuoteMust say i think Tony Davis is the pick of the bunch. At times i enjoy Brolly but more often than not i find his constant sneering quite irritating.

Tony Davis, dont make me laugh
Terrible analyst. On occasions he doesn't even know the players names.

Didn't hear Brolly at half time in the Cork/Kerry game but heard he was a cheeky b4stard when talking about the Cork team.

Well I'd listen to Davis any day over the irritating likes of McStay, Carney, Liam Hayes, Senan Connell, Paul Curran, Brolly etc. From reading this thread and many others on other boards, is it safe to assume that we have no consensus on who is or what makes a good GAA pundit?

lynchbhoy

Mcstay is the worst of the worst, canning doesn't even know the rules (mcstay is dodgy enough on them too from what I see/hear of his commentary).
What the fcuk is a 'pop pass' is it related to a 'pop tart' – a short pass is a short pass.
Wait til they start using other sports terminology as in American football 'shovel passes' instead of pop passes etc
Or wait, they are already using the phrase 'hail mary's' for long high kicks into the FF !

As for o'rourke, he is a thick oul bollix (first hand exp) who has for years derided other counties for being poor or scrappy etc etc when meath were at the top.
Brolly is actually doing much the same to orourke as the hyper critical orourke did to others for years.
However brolly is over the edge of manners and is a bit painful to watch when doing that. Neither man was up to giving anyone a box in their playing day ,  although orourke was known to give the odd sly cowardly dig.

However some of the ORourke /brolly stuff is insightful , some entertaning and overall ok.
way better than tommy lyons, mcstay who shouldnt be on the tv

T Fearon

Anyone like me hankering for the nostalgia of the  good old days, when the late Enda Colleran, invariably delivered  excellent anaylses of every game, without controversy or gratuitously insulting anyone, to Micheal Lyster, who had dark hair as opposed to grey, in a studio which looked like it could do with a lick of paint?

thewobbler

Tony, I'm surprised you like that style of analysis.

Anyway, I don't remember much about Colleran, but I don't think it's possible to analyse a game fully without insulting individual players and managers in some way. It doesn't have to get personal, but it does have to happen.

Jinxy

Anyone remember McStays daft comment after a player picked up an injury in a championship match earlier on in the season (can't remember which game)?
"Yeah......... that looks like dead leg country."  ??? ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JMohan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 01, 2008, 12:44:03 PM
Mcstay is the worst of the worst, canning doesn't even know the rules (mcstay is dodgy enough on them too from what I see/hear of his commentary).
What the fcuk is a 'pop pass' is it related to a 'pop tart' – a short pass is a short pass.
Wait til they start using other sports terminology as in American football 'shovel passes' instead of pop passes etc
Or wait, they are already using the phrase 'hail mary's' for long high kicks into the FF !

As for o'rourke, he is a thick oul bollix (first hand exp) who has for years derided other counties for being poor or scrappy etc etc when meath were at the top.
Brolly is actually doing much the same to orourke as the hyper critical orourke did to others for years.
However brolly is over the edge of manners and is a bit painful to watch when doing that. Neither man was up to giving anyone a box in their playing day ,  although orourke was known to give the odd sly cowardly dig.

However some of the ORourke /brolly stuff is insightful , some entertaning and overall ok.
way better than tommy lyons, mcstay who shouldnt be on the tv
Why don't you tell us what you really think of O'Rourke?
;D

orangeman

Mc Stay is class act and O'Rourke is not bad - there aren't any better !

screenexile

Lads bar none the best analyst of a game about it Dara O'Cinneide!

He's not flashy, but he's a great talker and knows the game inside out and really comes across well on the Sunday Game.

Tohill isn't far behind but his monotone voice doesn't put him above O'Cinneide.

McStay... awful. Not really a clue what he's on about to be fair.

Carney... same.

Davis.... just talks utter crap and his voice does my head in.

Lyons... has too high an opinion of himself to talk any sense at all really.

Brolly... knows what he's talking about, can be funny but does get too carried away with himself at times. His comic value alone though merits him being there "Hurt himself with a nail gun? God even in our worst times during the Troubles we wouldn't have given a gun to a Monaghan man!"

O'Rourke... good enough in studio but he was fantastic as a co commentator and I feel that's where his true value lies.

Goggins... I gave him stick before because he was an average enough player but he speaks a bit of sense and is a decent talker so he could have a future in this game.

Curran... no good.

Flynn... just OK but his analysis of games isn't that good really.

Bogball XV

Quote from: screenexile on September 01, 2008, 03:42:42 PMDavis.... just talks utter crap and his voice does my head in.

Obviously RTE don't agree, they wheel him out for that auld crimewatch style programme thing on a monday night too.

O'Cinnede would be my favourite too, with Big Anthony running him close - you'd know that O'Cinnede is a full time radio presenter as he's a great talker.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Joe Brolly's comments have been a highlight during some terrible games this summer, he and and O'Rourke are a class act together (when O'Rourke can get a word in) and Brolly is never far away in his assessment of the matches.

We love you Joe..... blow us a kiss

Bud Wiser

QuoteBrolly is never far away in his assessment of the matches.

"Armagh have six players who can not kick the ball and they have at least four others who can not kick the ball over an opponents head"  Joe Brolly at half time in the Ulster Final the year that Armagh went on to win their first All-Ireland.

"Would you not be embarressed Joe if they came back and won this game and then went on to win the All-Ireland" ?

"I won't be" said Joe
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Hardy

Ó Cinnéide may be a great talker, but he doesn't say anything. Both teams have great chances, anything can happen on the day, on one hand ... on the other hand, etc. He's never going to say anything categorical, never mind controversial. He's what you'd get if you asked someone to design you the opposite of Joe Brolly.

Apart from that I'd hardly disagree with anything in Screenexile's list, except he's too kind to Bernard Flynn and very lenient with Tommy "Gain Line" Lyons.

T Toatler

Quote from: screenexile on September 01, 2008, 03:42:42 PM
Lads bar none the best analyst of a game about it Dara O'Cinneide!

He's not flashy, but he's a great talker and knows the game inside out and really comes across well on the Sunday Game.

Tohill isn't far behind but his monotone voice doesn't put him above O'Cinneide.

McStay... awful. Not really a clue what he's on about to be fair.

Carney... same.

Davis.... just talks utter crap and his voice does my head in.

Lyons... has too high an opinion of himself to talk any sense at all really.

Brolly... knows what he's talking about, can be funny but does get too carried away with himself at times. His comic value alone though merits him being there "Hurt himself with a nail gun? God even in our worst times during the Troubles we wouldn't have given a gun to a Monaghan man!"

O'Rourke... good enough in studio but he was fantastic as a co commentator and I feel that's where his true value lies.

Goggins... I gave him stick before because he was an average enough player but he speaks a bit of sense and is a decent talker so he could have a future in this game.

Curran... no good.

Flynn... just OK but his analysis of games isn't that good really.

[/quot

Agreed O Cinneide and Goggins are at the top of the tree, two fellas whio played the game till fairly recently. Did any of ye notice Brollys footwear yesterday? Jesus Docs and the black socks. His athletes foot must have been at him. It looked comical. Seriously though any a***hole that blew kisses to the crowd when he scored a goal, as he often did, cant be taken seriously.

filthylittlebeast

Joe Brolly is an absolutely dose !! he has been doin the Sunday Game for years now! isn't it time they got someone else on the show instead of him?! He says the same crap all the time !! I can't believe he actually played for Derry !!  >:(  :o

dodgy umpire

you cant believe he played for derry even though he was one of the best forwards in his day?
The Boys in Red and Black are back