The Sunday Game & Joe Brolly.

Started by Bud Wiser, August 31, 2008, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Jinxy on August 31, 2008, 06:59:39 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 31, 2008, 06:35:25 PM
I think they are two idiots - have the quit the competition about who can be more insulting a controversial?
Two knobs.

Why do you think is O'Rourke a knob? When has he tried to be controversial?
When he's sneering and making snide remarks about players and teams.
Havent seen him this year but there was a while when him and Brolly spent every week trying to out do each other in who could be more insulting.

His spake about Dooher was as controversial as they come...what else do you need?
Yeah and there was a few, was it McManus they went to town on one week?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

puskas

I have no problem at all with the pair of them, it's good opinion and analysis, always interesting, a lot of it spot on so I'd tend to excuse Brolly the odd interruption plus it makes for good crack when O'Rourke gets ruffled.

What we should be aiming our fire at is the clowns doing the commentary. Canning's mindless drivel in injury time and when he had about 2 minutes to fill at the end before cutting to the studio was toe-curlingly bad. Morrisey and McStay's lifeless autopilot rubbish during the second game was almost as bad. It's worse than adding nothng to the coverage, it takes away from it.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: puskas on August 31, 2008, 07:10:21 PM
I have no problem at all with the pair of them, it's good opinion and analysis, always interesting, a lot of it spot on so I'd tend to excuse Brolly the odd interruption plus it makes for good crack when O'Rourke gets ruffled.

What we should be aiming our fire at is the clowns doing the commentary. Canning's mindless drivel in injury time and when he had about 2 minutes to fill at the end before cutting to the studio was toe-curlingly bad. Morrisey and McStay's lifeless autopilot rubbish during the second game was almost as bad. It's worse than adding nothng to the coverage, it takes away from it.

Totally agree! Canning and Mc stay are really terrible, everyone in the bar this morning was of the same opinion.

In the Onion Bag

Joe is a free spirited sort of guy and that comes across in his TV work.  Dumphy he is not, he would wipe the floor with Dumphy in the unlikely event of them being paired together in debate in front of a TV camera.

I enjoy his jocular style, so refreshing compared to the cliched, middle of the road, commentaries by other pundits who take themselves far too seriously.   Joe is a joker, he and RTE know it, but he is also a very clever man where gaelic and repartee is concerned so do not underestimate him.  

As far as RTE are concerned Joe and O'Rourke are a winning double act, little & large, especially while the current North (puke football ) v southern class debate continues.  RTE know Joe will get a rise from 'southern' folk esp when northern teams do well.  TV companies love this, any reaction is good for TV.

Keep going Joe even thought the job is only 'pin-money' for you.  

tyssam5

"Brian Dooher is a bad footballer"  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Rossfan

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 31, 2008, 07:12:31 PM

Totally agree! Canning and Mc stay are really terrible, everyone in the bar this morning was of the same opinion.

I also totally agree. Painful to listen to them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

I can manage to block out the commentary and watch the game but I tend to listen to what O'Rourke and Brolly have to say.

Hardy

I agree totally. What a pair of numpties, who seem to say anything that comes into their heads. I'm often amazed at their "interpretations" of what we're looking at.  Today Carney introduced a new "obstruction" rule into gaelic football. This clown gets paid for his opinion and he doesn't know the basics of the game. Where else would you get it?

spectator

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 31, 2008, 06:23:18 PM
At one stage he told O'Rourke that he was more or less stupid and was beginning to sound like Eamon Dunphy, Dunphy being in my opinion about twenty times smarter than Brolly.

The 'Dunphy' jibe came as a sharp interruption from Brolly, when O'Rourke said Wexford were the origional rebels at a time when everyone else was lying down ...  ;D

Morrisey and McStay's lifeless autopilot rubbish during the second game was almost as bad. It's worse than adding nothng to the coverage, it takes away from it.

To give Brolly his due, his HT analysis of the Tyrone style of play where he explained how 'any one measure in singularity won't stop them' demolished McStay's commentary analysis that "Wexford need to mark Tyrone man to man" during the first half.

On the whole, I think O'Rourke \ Brolly are as good as what's around, if not better.

JMohan

Brolly just wants to hear himself use big words (which he does well) and try and show up O'Rourke, but his accuracy of analysis is in fact very poor.
O'Rourke lets' his real side show from time to time with snide remarks about footballers and tries to be a smartarse
McStay is the worst of them all - massive Ulster bias and compete moaner, I find Carney hard at times but McStay is without doubt the worst bar none

INDIANA

but his accuracy of analysis is in fact very poor

don't agree he's generally spot on the only thing joe continually continually makes a gobshite of himself over is Derry where he can't accept that they are simply not as good as the likes of kerry or tyrone. That and the virtues of the ulster championship other than that he's generally on the money.

ONeill

I find Brolly, when he quits the quips, offers a more insightful analysis to teams and tactics. O'Rourke 'I'll eat my hat if Brian Dooher wins an All-Ireland' simply states the obvious and since making a eeejit out of himself repeatedly a few years ago now just takes the safe bet and says very little original at all.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

dodgy umpire

Brolly doesnt take himself too seriously at times yet is also very insightful, a good mix making him a good pundit for tv.

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 31, 2008, 08:41:01 PM
OK put them in order:

Front men:
Austin O'Callaghan
Jerome Quinn
Pat Spillane

Pundits
Joe Brolly
Jarlath Burns
Martin Carney
Tony Davis
Tommy Lyons
Martin McHugh
Kevin McStay
Colm O'Rourke
Anthony Tohill

not a tohill fan? i think hes a very smart man and always very measured in what he says? martin mc hugh loves his sensationalism and is quite frankly crap
The Boys in Red and Black are back

ONeill

I think he has just listed them alphabetically.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

dodgy umpire

good call o'neill. ive had a long weekend , didnt spot that. apologies TYP
The Boys in Red and Black are back