Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

AN other

Well done to Tyrone. I can't warm to Brian Dooher, most of it due to his antics against ourselves earlier in the year, but when he isn't lying about the place and acting the prat he is one hell of a player. I've seen Tyrone four times in the flesh this year and I think he has to get the nod ahead of Cavanagh for player of the year. Cavanagh had a great final but Dooher was one of the main men in the Westmeath and Dublin games and wasn't too far behind Cavanagh in the final either.
Without doubting that Tyrone were the best team in the country this year and deserved their win I think the the performance of the team on Sunday is being exaggerated a little. Mickey Harte himself puts it well when he says that when you win you don't do everything right and when you loose you don't do everything wrong. Tyrone don't do everything right but from reading the papers the last couple of days you are led to think they do. This isn't isolated to Tyrone or the all-ireland final itself, it happens regularly when a team wins any match. Little recognition is given to the fact that almost anything can happen on the day and what has transpired is just one of a multiple of possible scenarios. What isn't being exaggerated is Mickey Harte's managerial ability. He won the sideline battle hands down, aided by what I thought were some baffling Kerry decisions. I couldn't get over the persistance of Kerry hitting the high ball in when it clearly wasn't working and the constant rotation of Donaghy between midfield and the forwards. I thought taking Walsh off was a bit harsh especially when considering the players that were coming on. The use of Galvin was poor, he should have been started, brought on earlier or left on the bench. He's not the type of player that will turn a game in a couple of minutes, he's the type of player who will impose himself on a game over a longer period of time. The Tyrone booing was pretty unnecessary.

Edit: Forgot to say fair play to Marc Ó Sé who received a punch to the midrift in the second half from McGuigan. Didn't throw himself to the ground and the linesman couldn't have not seen it. If episodes earlier in the year were to be followed McGuigan should have been sent off and probably would have been if Ó Sé had hit the deck. After all the feigning we've witnessed this year such incidents should be highlighted also.
Also on O'Neill. I don't think enough credit is being given for his pass to Hughes prior to the goal, it was probably the best pass of the game and possibly the most important. Made the goal chance, great vision and showed his class. He didn't do alot else, but that alone justified his introduction in my opinion.
Anyway, well done Tyrone!

puskas

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 23, 2008, 10:11:34 AM
well, very disappointed to say the least. hats off to Tyrone, they closed the game out superbly and every player was immense with obvious standout performances from Cavanagh and Dooher as well as the entire full back line. I Thought Hughes was the key factor though and I am surprised more havent mentioned him.

Too hasty to be calling for Pat O'Shea's head. Despite what people are saying now, not many were too surprised, or disappointed,  to see Brosnan starting ahead of Walsh and Sheehan had to start for the frees. Its true that he probably should have pulled them off earlier, but hindsight is 20/20. The team did come back from 3 down to 1 up after all. However, if the goal was to get the ball close to goal and feed gooch then they should have let Declan O'Sullivan run more with Gooch close by. The high ball wasn't working.

This one is going to be a hard one to come back from but we'll survive it.

Fair play Mike Sheehy, that's what great about the GAA, avowed enemies congratulating the other team after a defeat.

ziggysego

Excellent, didn't know the game was on iPlayer.

Will it only be up for a week, or permanently?
Testing Accessibility

comethekingdom

Tried to have a look at this - only available to youse boys in the 6 counties  :(  Is their a link available for the rest of the country?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: comethekingdom on September 23, 2008, 10:19:10 PM
Tried to have a look at this - only available to youse boys in the 6 counties  :(  Is their a link available for the rest of the country?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/

Just click on replay. Strangely I can't play it because it seems that Antrim isn't in Ireland!

comethekingdom

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: puskas on September 23, 2008, 09:44:59 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 23, 2008, 10:11:34 AM
well, very disappointed to say the least. hats off to Tyrone, they closed the game out superbly and every player was immense with obvious standout performances from Cavanagh and Dooher as well as the entire full back line. I Thought Hughes was the key factor though and I am surprised more havent mentioned him.

Too hasty to be calling for Pat O'Shea's head. Despite what people are saying now, not many were too surprised, or disappointed,  to see Brosnan starting ahead of Walsh and Sheehan had to start for the frees. Its true that he probably should have pulled them off earlier, but hindsight is 20/20. The team did come back from 3 down to 1 up after all. However, if the goal was to get the ball close to goal and feed gooch then they should have let Declan O'Sullivan run more with Gooch close by. The high ball wasn't working.

This one is going to be a hard one to come back from but we'll survive it.

Fair play Mike Sheehy, that's what great about the GAA, avowed enemies congratulating the other team after a defeat.

Hear, hear! And spot on about Hughes too.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Carmen Stateside

Can anyone get a link for this side of the water?

Is there still a GOAL match that takes place? Havent seen it mentioned.

comethekingdom

It was to be in Omagh tonite - v Coalisland. didnt hear the resuly though

Carmen Stateside

armaghniac

QuoteJust click on replay. Strangely I can't play it because it seems that Antrim isn't in Ireland!

Of course Antrim is in Ireland, but has your ISP told RTE that your IP is in Antrim? Are you using a British based ISP?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Here is a torrent link to download the whole game.

if you don't know about torrents then don't ask here, ask Ziggy by pm  ;D

Tyrone V Kerry]http://www.mininova.org/tor/1830894]Tyrone V Kerry

Its just the match, no extra frills.
AVI file
Size 880 mb
Runtime 1:20:29
Bitrate 1400kbs
Video: 640 x 480
Audio: 128 mp3