McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: ck on January 20, 2015, 11:14:15 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 20, 2015, 11:03:11 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on January 20, 2015, 10:20:19 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 19, 2015, 11:46:19 AM
Really hope that McKeever doesn't start picking on Cavanagh again this time, we need him on the field if we are to have a chance of winning the game

But then...
Just hope that Geezer selects McKeever to put some manners on Cavanagh again

Just to clarify (the first post had a hint of sarcasm which isn't easily translated when put in writing) I hope he picks on him but is subtle enough not to get caught like the last time (even if it was handbags). If you look at Cavanaghs face when McKeever grabbed him he was like a scared rabbit, he is easily cowed by McKeever and will not want to come up against him.

Typical Armagh attitude concentrating on intimidation. No wonder your games end in brawls!
Just play football lads and stop talking tripe about your bully boy tactics. I'd have thought Armagh were above all that and it would be only the likes of Div.3 teams who would be resorting to such a thing,, oh hold on

Cavanagh is about 6'3 and 15 stone so you would think he should be well fit to take care of himself, so get away with this nonsense about intimidating him. If you want a non contact sport with no physicality then go to the theatre or watch a bit of ballet. Anyone who is being honest enjoys the physical approach and needle that a local rivalry creates, you give and you take. Of course you will have the pc brigade up on their soap box chanting 'down with that sort of thing' but those pundits are more concerned with their own media profiles than 'the poor children'. 

Muzz

Quote from: yellowcard on January 20, 2015, 11:26:58 AM
Really hope that McKeever doesn't start picking on Cavanagh again this time, we need him on the field if we are to have a chance of winning the game

But then...

Just to clarify (the first post had a hint of sarcasm which isn't easily translated when put in writing) I hope he picks on him but is subtle enough not to get caught like the last time (even if it was handbags). If you look at Cavanaghs face when McKeever grabbed him he was like a scared rabbit, he is easily cowed by McKeever and will not want to come up against him.

Typical Armagh attitude concentrating on intimidation. No wonder your games end in brawls!
Just play football lads and stop talking tripe about your bully boy tactics. I'd have thought Armagh were above all that and it would be only the likes of Div.3 teams who would be resorting to such a thing,, oh hold on

Cavanagh is about 6'3 and 15 stone so you would think he should be well fit to take care of himself, so get away with this nonsense about intimidating him. If you want a non contact sport with no physicality then go to the theatre or watch a bit of ballet. Anyone who is being honest enjoys the physical approach and needle that a local rivalry creates, you give and you take. Of course you will have the pc brigade up on their soap box chanting 'down with that sort of thing' but those pundits are more concerned with their own media profiles than 'the poor children'.

Since when did the theatre and ballet come under the banner of a non contact sport?

yellowcard

Quote from: Muzz on January 20, 2015, 12:35:41 PM

But then...

Since when did the theatre and ballet come under the banner of a non contact sport?

Saying as the only thing you picked up on was the semantics, then I presume you have no issue with the actual point which is that a bit of physicality in the game should be embraced and not frowned upon in the manner of a pc junkie. Or maybe your just that petty that you have nothing else to contribute.

BennyCake

But then...

It's tyrone fans who are battering on about Armagh's so called bully boy tactics, not Armagh fans.

As for matches ending in brawls. That's incorrect. The Cavan match started with a brawl  ;D

Fuzzman

Yellow,
Simple question for you.
Could you rank what YOU think are the most physically imposing counties in Ulster?

Why do you think teams like Derry, Antrim, Fermanagh and Down don't seem to put as much emphasis on this side of the game?
Would they benefit more if they did?
Have Donegal upped the physicality levels on the past three years?

IMHO you're contradicting yourself on this thread as I think you'd love to see Big Sean get a damn good hiding as he deserves but not to get caught doing it and be man down.

It's good to be back down at Armaghs level, just for the banter.

BennyHarp

But then...

So if he was 4ft 10" and 10 stone you'd agree that he he was being intimidated? Just so we are all clear, what is the size and weight threshold that makes a player fair game?

The physical approach that you yearn for is players hitting each other hard and fair - Armagh at the minute aren't doing that and are creating a reputation for themselves as being a very over physical team which push the rules to the limit and beyond. Just for the record, I for one don't want to see scuffles break out during matches, less so during the parade - if you want that sort of think go watch MMA or UFC, or better still go and watch Armagh train.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

A lot of crap is seen as acceptable on the pitch when it shouldn't be.  Even the like of Findon in the earlier page in this thread with Lacey in some kind of bear head lock, a fella who behaves like that should be straight off the pitch.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yellowcard

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 20, 2015, 02:17:12 PM
Yellow,
Simple question for you.
Could you rank what YOU think are the most physically imposing counties in Ulster?

Why do you think teams like Derry, Antrim, Fermanagh and Down don't seem to put as much emphasis on this side of the game?

IMHO you're contradicting yourself on this thread as I think you'd love to see Big Sean get a damn good hiding as he deserves but not to get caught doing it and be man down.

This physical approach put forward by the media is a nonsense, there were a few minor skirmishes broke out in games involving Armagh last year but because they weren't speaking to a load of hacks they were fair game to be attacked by the press. As for your question, well that is a nonsense as Armagh are no more or less physical than any other county, the only difference is we don't go crying like babies when someone starts pushing our players about in melees. You give it and you take it, its not tiddlywinks. How do you even measure physicality, get the first XV to start bench pressing, throw them in a UFC dome and have them wrestle? If there were mass punch ups or physical violence then I'd be the first to condemn it but to the best of my knowledge nobody has got injured from any of these horrible obscene acts of violence that Armagh have pre planned and instigated since last year. Just hyperbole and exaggeration to feed the hysterical parts of the media. Its no coincidence that now that McMenamin and Gormley have retired that Tyrone men are getting on their high horse complaining about an overly physical appraoch. 

NaomhBridAbĂș

Quote from: yellowcard on January 20, 2015, 03:09:18 PM
Yellow,
Simple question for you.

This physical approach put forward by the media is a nonsense, there were a few minor skirmishes broke out in games involving Armagh last year but because they weren't speaking to a load of hacks they were fair game to be attacked by the press. As for your question, well that is a nonsense as Armagh are no more or less physical than any other county, the only difference is we don't go crying like babies when someone starts pushing our players about in melees. You give it and you take it, its not tiddlywinks. How do you even measure physicality, get the first XV to start bench pressing, throw them in a UFC dome and have them wrestle? If there were mass punch ups or physical violence then I'd be the first to condemn it but to the best of my knowledge nobody has got injured from any of these horrible obscene acts of violence that Armagh have pre planned and instigated since last year. Just hyperbole and exaggeration to feed the hysterical parts of the media. Its no coincidence that now that McMenamin and Gormley have retired that Tyrone men are getting on their high horse complaining about an overly physical appraoch.

What a load of shite. grow up
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

BennyHarp

Yellow,
Simple question for you.

Is this not Armagh's pre-match warm up?
That was never a square ball!!

illdecide

My Da could beat your DA FFS. This Cavanagh v McKeever thing is a joke, i'm sure Sean couldn't give 2 fu*ks who was/is marking him and the same for McKeever.

Armagh have been involved in a few grappling sessions recently but that's all it is and the media blow it up bigger than it actually is. The simple fact is through boards like this and media the Ref's will be out to teach Armagh a lesson and we'll suffer down the road in a big game and lose a player in a tight match which will screw us.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Muzz

Quote from: yellowcard on January 20, 2015, 01:00:08 PM
Saying as the only thing you picked up on was the semantics, then I presume you have no issue with the actual point which is that a bit of physicality in the game should be embraced and not frowned upon in the manner of a pc junkie. Or maybe your just that petty that you have nothing else to contribute.

;D probably like the most of people on here I am not actually sure on the point you are trying to make.  But one thing I am sure most people will agree on, you are a clown.  Thats my contribution.

Fuzzman

Exactly Illdecide so a bit like with Tyrone and the diving, ye have been labeled with it whether ye like it or not.
It doesn't come from nowhere so players like McKeever who can be a match winner on his day, needs to be reeled in and focus on the ball.
My point here though is that yellow card's opinion tends to sum up the Armagh psyche. The game has cleaned up a lot since the 70s but Armagh folk don't seem to get this.

Muzz

Yellow,
Simple question for you.

1. Don't go crying like babies - wasn't that because there was a self imposed media ban and weren't allowed to cry?

2. Nobody has got injured - What happened Dunne then during the altercation?

omaghjoe

Thing is McKeever does have a hard-one for big Sean

Reason being he is useless and big Sean aint so he tries to take Cavanagh out of it using illegal methods. Is as simple as that

What's unfortunate is that if Sean was using his rules of engagement he would take the head of him, he's a wee tub of lard FFS.

But the thing is McKeever's rules of engagement are illegal and he should be punished accordingly, in the match earlier this month it was a scuffle between Findon and Cavnagh that was over until McKeever arrived and all hell broke loose.

He rightly got a red and long may it continue for his behaviour