'Mayo will win nothing without me' - Mortimer

Started by JMohan, August 28, 2008, 10:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 12:29:34 PM
They haven't scored much at all - with him!

I'm sorry I must be the only one who see's an average footballer (with one foot and a poor scoring return)... I just don't see what he has ever done.

1-11 (3 games) 1-31 (NFL)
0-14 (3 games) 4-30 (NFL)
1-35 (7 games) 0-19 NFL *suspended for early league
1-8  (4 games) 1-32 (NFL)
1-42 (7 games)

Admit it. You just dont like him without having a clue why.
MWWSI 2017

JMohan

Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2008, 12:50:02 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 12:40:11 PM
Well we'll have to agree to disagree on all points.

You can't disagree with facts - pro sports players are either contracted to speak to the media or they are not. I say they are, you say they're not.

However, I am the one who's right.

With regards to Conor - yes, we will have to agree to disagree.

If you can prove they are then fine I'll happily accept, but it is not stated in team contracts.
Many players do the odd interview most avoid them and many refuse, Scholes is another example in team sports of having rarely done an interview.

But back to the GAA - and the argument at the heart of it all
- The Journalist did a hatchet job - in fact even in the 3rd line or so you get a feel for his bias.
- Players set them selves up - they don't HAVE to talk

Case - Ciaran McDonald rarely did interviews. If you don't speak you don't get misquoted.

Personally I always felt that Mayo's backs were very goode enough, but the strength of the fowards is the biggest problem - ball not being secured in posession and too many misses.

JMohan

Quote from: muppet on August 28, 2008, 12:58:07 PM

I'm sorry I must be the only one who see's an average footballer (with one foot and a poor scoring return)... I just don't see what he has ever done.

1-8  (4 sames) 1-32 (NFL)
1-42 (7 games)

Absolutely not, I don't know the guy at all - I'm judging him as a footballer.
I just think Mayo need a different approach with a different target man.

You're not Conor himself are you? Or his girlfriend?

I also notice you didn't give the from play and free ratio - that would be interesting.

muppet

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 01:02:17 PM

1-42 (7 games)

QuoteAbsolutely not, I don't know the guy at all - I'm judging him as a footballer.
You take a headline from Hoganstand.com, add the original article but with your personal emphasis clearly highlighting quotes selected to give a negative impression and then claim to be judging him as a footballer.

QuoteI just think Mayo need a different approach with a different target man.
Fair enough, just say it. No need for the character attack, just post the article with no tabloid headline.

QuoteYou're not Conor himself are you? Or his girlfriend?
Hoganstand doesn't mind childness like that so back you go or grow up.

QuoteI also notice you didn't give the from play and free ratio - that would be interesting.
I also notice you have contributed no facts whatsoever to support your position. You keep moving the goalposts because your argument has failed to stand up to any scrutiny.

MWWSI 2017

ríochtciarraí

Ah easy lads I dont think anyone can say hes not a good footballer. I would say his ball winning abilities are poor as he rearly wins the 50/50 ball where hes required to go in head first but with the ball in his hand hes as good as anything most other counties have.

his holiness nb

Us Dubs are no fans of Mortimer  :'( but its quite clear Jmohan has a major chip on his shoulder for some reason. The thread title alone, the the lines highlighted make this very clear.

Theres an argument that players shouldnt talk to the press, just keep the head down. I dont see the harm in chatting to a reporter once your arent gonna say something stupid. And he didnt, I found his comments quite honest and refreshing.
That interview gave me a more positive view of Mortimer.

Oh and he is a very good forward who Mayo would sorely miss  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

JMohan

Quote from: muppet on August 28, 2008, 01:10:57 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 01:02:17 PM

1-42 (7 games)

QuoteAbsolutely not, I don't know the guy at all - I'm judging him as a footballer.
You take a headline from Hoganstand.com, add the original article but with your personal emphasis clearly highlighting quotes selected to give a negative impression and then claim to be judging him as a footballer.

QuoteI just think Mayo need a different approach with a different target man.
Fair enough, just say it. No need for the character attack, just post the article with no tabloid headline.

QuoteYou're not Conor himself are you? Or his girlfriend?
Hoganstand doesn't mind childness like that so back you go or grow up.

QuoteI also notice you didn't give the from play and free ratio - that would be interesting.
I also notice you have contributed no facts whatsoever to support your position. You keep moving the goalposts because your argument has failed to stand up to any scrutiny.

Don't get flustrered Muppet - look at it rationally.
And if this was a character attack there would be far more avenues to go down.
As a footballer I don't think he is good enough and Mayo would be better served to look at that with a balanced eye rather than keep trying the same options.

I think he is fast and has some ability, but I think he is a bit overrated for example as was pinted out his ball winning is poor, shooting is not as good as other leading forwards, he has only one foot, he's not physically as strong as Meehan who can get away with the one foot, and his free taking has let him down on a number of key occasions.

JMohan

Well let's put a counter argument then ... would Mayo not have been better try and use someone like Austin O'Malley as a central figure in the FF line?

muppet

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 01:33:14 PM
Well let's put a counter argument then ... would Mayo not have been better try and use someone like Austin O'Malley as a central figure in the FF line?

Look its very hard for me not to stick the knife in when you post something like that but I won't.

Lets' just say it's been tried.
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Ah now you're just being silly.

full back

FFS, did Mortimer ride someone belonging to you?

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Tubberman

QuoteWell let's put a counter argument then ... would Mayo not have been better try and use someone like Austin O'Malley as a central figure in the FF line?

Up to now you were making some sort of an argument (badly, but you didn't make a fool of yourself), but that just shows you're either a complete WUM or have no knowledge of what you're arguing about.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

kevmy

A couple of things Mort has been our top scorer every year he been on the team. Fact.
Mort has an AllStar. Fact
Mort ended up top scorer in the whole Championship in 06. Fact.
It doesn't matter if you score from play or frees they all count the same. Fact.

Other things that aren't quite facts more obvious observations. Mort's free taking has rarely let him down. He missed one easy free as a young lad against Galway and he missed one from outside his range against Galway this year. Apart from that I can't think of any pressure situation when his free taking let him (or us) down. I can think of Galway in 06, Laois first game in 06, Fermanagh both games in 04 when his impeccable free taking under pressure kept us in the Championship.
He isn't 6'2 and he doesn't win a lot of 50/50 ball against bigger stronger defenders. His right foot isn't good. He doesn't put away enough goals.
He is the best corner forward we have however and we have to play to his and our strengths to do the best we can. Time after time I've seen long, high, hopeful balls pumped into lads like him, Andy Moran and Dillon which makes those guys look bad. When in reality it should be half backs and midfielders who pump in this kinda ball we should be giving out about. Most people acknowledge that give Mort low, fast ball and he will do damage, don't and he'll struggle.
I'd love to believe we have a Stevie McDonnell or a Donaghy hiding away somewhere past Erris but we don't and until one comes along we have to do the best we what we've got.
The best we've got is Mort with all his flaws and strengths. He's a very good footballer, not a great one mind but a good one.

And for Mayo's problem in recent years being the forwards don't make me laugh. The most goals conceded in Div 1 this year, the highest non-winning Connacht final score in 30 years, the huge scores racked up against us in 04 and 06 finals.

Dangleberrys

QuoteA couple of things Mort has been our top scorer every year he been on the team. Fact.
Mort has an AllStar. Fact
Mort ended up top scorer in the whole Championship in 06. Fact.
It doesn't matter if you score from play or frees they all count the same. Fact.

Other things that aren't quite facts more obvious observations. Mort's free taking has rarely let him down. He missed one easy free as a young lad against Galway and he missed one from outside his range against Galway this year. Apart from that I can't think of any pressure situation when his free taking let him (or us) down. I can think of Galway in 06, Laois first game in 06, Fermanagh both games in 04 when his impeccable free taking under pressure kept us in the Championship.
He isn't 6'2 and he doesn't win a lot of 50/50 ball against bigger stronger defenders. His right foot isn't good. He doesn't put away enough goals.
He is the best corner forward we have however and we have to play to his and our strengths to do the best we can. Time after time I've seen long, high, hopeful balls pumped into lads like him, Andy Moran and Dillon which makes those guys look bad. When in reality it should be half backs and midfielders who pump in this kinda ball we should be giving out about. Most people acknowledge that give Mort low, fast ball and he will do damage, don't and he'll struggle.
I'd love to believe we have a Stevie McDonnell or a Donaghy hiding away somewhere past Erris but we don't and until one comes along we have to do the best we what we've got.
The best we've got is Mort with all his flaws and strengths. He's a very good footballer, not a great one mind but a good one.

And for Mayo's problem in recent years being the forwards don't make me laugh. The most goals conceded in Div 1 this year, the highest non-winning Connacht final score in 30 years, the huge scores racked up against us in 04 and 06 finals.

So its the Mayo defence thats the problem then?  Firstly, where does defence start?

You seem to be contradicting yourself too

QuoteTime after time I've seen long, high, hopeful balls pumped into lads like him, Andy Moran and Dillon which makes those guys look bad. When in reality it should be half backs and midfielders who pump in this kinda ball we should be giving out about. Most people acknowledge that give Mort low, fast ball and he will do damage, don't and he'll struggle.

and

Quotethe highest non-winning Connacht final score in 30 year

Eh, so there are still high scores then?  How is this possible with
Quotehalf backs and midfielders who pump in this kinda ball we should be giving out about.