'Mayo will win nothing without me' - Mortimer

Started by JMohan, August 28, 2008, 10:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: full back on August 28, 2008, 12:15:00 PM
It was certainly taken out of context but he is spot on
Take Mortimer out & the scores & scorable frees drop dramatically
I agree - in fairness Mortimer is just an average foward and at times quite poor.

SLIGONIAN

Professionals are trained how to act and what to say in the media, are our GAA players? NO. Look at oharas interviews, crazy comments the day before the mayo game this yr, whilst we may criticise him for that these lads are human. It is clear that some mayo people dont like mortimer and that mortimer has a chip on his shoulder about it. Ive been to games and seen the abuse he gets first hand by alot of mayofans. This man is class act and mayo would be alot weaker without him. That is a fact. So what mortimer says heres isnt far off the truth. So jees give him a break. The headline too is very michevious, and completely out of context. Personnally i think its great to hear 2 players being totally honest for a change. I say fair play to mort, good insight into his character. You have to respect his openess.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

kevmy

He right though can we rely on anyone else in the county to get scores on a basis half as regular as he does? No.
Dillon will try his best but we need to find more scoring forwards instead of getting rid of the ones we have. Most of the scores we got in the Galway and Tyrone games were down to Mort. He scored 1-4 himself against Tyrone and won two very handy frees for Dillon (which makes 1-6 of 1-9 coming directly from him).
Also the rest of the stuff he said in the interview is most of the stuff we've being saying on here. High ball into him and the rest of the small forwards is no good, he hasn't a good right foot, he only took the last min free against Galway cause no one else would etc.
A lot of people don't like him personally, fair enough you don't have to like everyone you meet, but you don't get rid of the most prolific player because he dyes his hair.

Quote from: orangeman on August 28, 2008, 11:09:44 AM
Anyone hear a rumour he's transferring to Dublin ?

Himself and Trevor had a falling out with the previous manager of the club, they were thinkin of moving clubs at that time, however he resigned pretty soon after that and as far as I know everything is grand in the club now. He has been in DCU for the last 2 or 3 years but he's finishing up now so I don't really see a reason for him to move

Zapatista

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 12:17:36 PM

Show's how much you know about sport -

Perhaps I should read a few books about sports too as I didn't know any of that ::)

full back

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 12:19:26 PM
Quote from: full back on August 28, 2008, 12:15:00 PM
It was certainly taken out of context but he is spot on
Take Mortimer out & the scores & scorable frees drop dramatically
I agree - in fairness Mortimer is just an average foward and at times quite poor.

Eh ???
How do you agree?

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2008, 11:59:31 AM
Re pros not being contracted to the media.

Rubbish - almost every player in every sport is obliged to give an interview after the match when asked.
Match of the Day interviews are compulsory for players and managers for example, if you win the man of the match of award after a premiership game you have to be interviewed live to accept your gong.
Ditto Pro golfers on the US PGA tour
Ditto Rugby players in the Super 14 with Aussie Fox Tv
Ditto Tennis players after every grand slam match.

The TV companies provide the bulk of the money for these tournaments and leagues - of course they're obliged to speak to them.

The list goes on and on.......

As for Conor Mort - a nothing story from the Mayo news - no big deal
Show's how much you know about sport - When did Ferguson ever give an interview to the BBC?
There is no obligation to speak - that's fact.

You don't have to speak if you don't want to.

Who does Ferguson play for?  ::)
MWWSI 2017

JMohan

They haven't scored much at all - with him!

I'm sorry I must be the only one who see's an average footballer (with one foot and a poor scoring return)... I just don't see what he has ever done.

JMohan

Quote from: muppet on August 28, 2008, 12:27:13 PM
Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2008, 11:59:31 AM
Re pros not being contracted to the media.

Rubbish - almost every player in every sport is obliged to give an interview after the match when asked.
Match of the Day interviews are compulsory for players and managers for example, if you win the man of the match of award after a premiership game you have to be interviewed live to accept your gong.
Ditto Pro golfers on the US PGA tour
Ditto Rugby players in the Super 14 with Aussie Fox Tv
Ditto Tennis players after every grand slam match.

The TV companies provide the bulk of the money for these tournaments and leagues - of course they're obliged to speak to them.

The list goes on and on.......

As for Conor Mort - a nothing story from the Mayo news - no big deal
Show's how much you know about sport - When did Ferguson ever give an interview to the BBC?
There is no obligation to speak - that's fact.

You don't have to speak if you don't want to.

Who does Ferguson play for?  ::)
Now we're really scrapping the bottom of the argument barrell

billy the kid

Quote from: muppet on August 28, 2008, 11:31:10 AM
Over the years we have had disgraceful posts on the likes of Padraig Brogan, Frank McGuigan, Graham Geraghty, Aiden O'Mahoney and many more. Even Martin Clarke is getting some abuse here for recent media comments. Talking to the media will be in his contract, he has to do it. If you don't like what he says tough, it's for a different audience, not our inflated feelings of importance.

All Gaa players are amateurs. Their time is given up for the benefit of the sport of our choice. The media work they do, with the notable exceptions of pundits, is all done for no reward.

Interviews such as the one above enhance our appreciation of the game and give us an view into the mindset of the players involved. This is an accepted norm in sports throughout the world and should be encouraged, but not here it seems. If you don't like some of what is said fine.

Some Gaa supporters have ludicrous expectations of players.

Some of us seem to want them to be:
* All Ireland Champions regularly
* Mensa like thinkers under pressure
* Tiger Woods like composure under pressure
* Decathletes of a high standard
* Blair like charm with the media
* Able to smile at someone who punches them
* Able to listen to every so called supporters' opinion of what he does wrong
* Available for autographs/charity as demanded by anyone
* To live a completely virtuous life outside football
* Able to put their lives on hold from 18 to 30
* Back to work every Monday

The incredible thing is most players achieve a lot of the list above. But it's not enough for some.

This site frequently manages to convey genuine respect for the sacrifices made for our national sport but all to often it descends into cheap shots and lazy criticism.

We frequently castigate journalists (I put my hand up here)  for what they write but all to often they have little to go on as most players wont talk to them, but when they do.....well look at the title of this thread.

To be fair I dont care if they go to work on Monday, but the rest of that stuff is a must. ;)
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

JMohan

;D ;D ;D

I know a few who have never seen a Monday over the summer!!

stephenite

In fairness - I was wrong about the managers on MOTD. Still doesn't detract a thing from my original point which was that pro players in most sports are contracted to speak to the media and networks as and when requested.

Whereas J.Mohan stated that there were no professionals obliged to speak to the media.

Average players don't win All Stars by the way

JMohan

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on all points.

muppet

BSkyB and Setanta have the Premeirship, not the BBC who do MOTD and who Ferguson fell out with years ago therefore it is likely any recent contract he may have negotiated excluded obligations to the BBC especially given his position to United.

Again that is beside the point as this whole thread has been about players and the media. The only argument to defend your insistance that it is a 'fact' that professional players don't have to talk to the media has been a non-player.

MWWSI 2017

ludermor

Jason ease off there a wee bit, don't be getting cranky with people who disagree with you.
There are plenty of people who dont value Mort ( in mayo as much as anywhere else) but the fact is he is our most consistent scorer ( from placed balls and frees, lots of which he earns himself) and until someone else comes along better he is well within his right to say what he has said.

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 12:29:34 PM
They haven't scored much at all - with him!

I'm sorry I must be the only one who see's an average footballer (with one foot and a poor scoring return)... I just don't see what he has ever done.
That is just wrong, Mayo are consistently near the top of the scoring averages in the league and the championship. In the past few years it has been our defenders who have conceded more than in the past

stephenite

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 12:40:11 PM
Well we'll have to agree to disagree on all points.

You can't disagree with facts - pro sports players are either contracted to speak to the media or they are not. I say they are, you say they're not.

However, I am the one who's right.

With regards to Conor - yes, we will have to agree to disagree.