Why are there no hill tickets for Sunday?

Started by AN other, August 26, 2008, 10:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: northsideboy on August 27, 2008, 08:17:03 PM
One reason may be that internal stewarding on the Hogan, Cusack and Davin Stands are done by volunteers while the Hill is stewarded mainly by Frontline Security
in keeping with holiness' bullshit answers, the hill doesn't have to have professional security on it this time ;)

stephenite

Quote from: armaghniac on August 27, 2008, 07:30:26 PM
I imagine that if the Hill is not in use then they don't have to close off some of the streets on the Summerhill end with a saving of Garda time etc. The Davin stand is entered from Jones Rd which is closed off in any case.

A lot of people would still approach the Cusack from Summerhill and Cloniffe - road would still have to be closed I'd imagine

bennydorano

There do seem to be a fair few apologists for something which is nothing short of ripping off GAA supporters, there is no excuse for it.   If the hill was opened on Sunday the GAA would probably make €200k instead of €215k(sample figures), surely the association could take that hit, this is our own support not the soccer boys or egg chasers; there has to be a better balance between moneymaking and the ethos of the association.

Gnevin

Quote from: bennydorano on August 28, 2008, 09:35:31 AM
There do seem to be a fair few apologists for something which is nothing short of ripping off GAA supporters, there is no excuse for it.   If the hill was opened on Sunday the GAA would probably make €200k instead of €215k(sample figures), surely the association could take that hit, this is our own support not the soccer boys or egg chasers; there has to be a better balance between moneymaking and the ethos of the association.
Surely you agree the majority of people like to sit?
Surely you also agree that if the attendance is below 70,000 on Sunday all the tickets available  were not taken?
Surely you would also agree the atmosphere last week was greatly improved by closing sections of the ground and condensing the crowd ?

Thus the GAA took the decision to open the section of the ground which would be most peoples first choice .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

bennydorano

Moot points as the option of cheaper entrance fees should be there - end of story. Surely you agree that this is a decision taken in regards to money and little else?  Is there not more to the association than maximising profit? 

TirEoghaingodeo

It's all very well suggesting that it should be a sell out, but i'd imagine taking a family to Croker isn't easy for some people. 3 kids and you're into 200 euro before you look at petrol, food, programmes at 4 euros a pop. not alot of families have 300 euro kicking about these days. When you look at the number of qualifiers too it's no wonder people stay away.
It's obvious to us all that the GAA see the qualifiers and us as cash cows, and they're gonna milk every drop
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

orangeman

armaghniac

QuoteIt's obvious to us all that the GAA see the qualifiers and us as cash cows,

So the GAA wish to raise revenue by charging into games, how strange.

Yous are in an all Ireland semi final, which many counties would love to be, yet 4 teams together cannot raise the same crowd as Armagh v Donegal did, one of the smaller counties versus one that is also far from Dublin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Doogie Browser

Quote from: armaghniac on August 28, 2008, 12:45:46 PM
QuoteIt's obvious to us all that the GAA see the qualifiers and us as cash cows,

So the GAA wish to raise revenue by charging into games, how strange.

Yous are in an all Ireland semi final, which many counties would love to be, yet 4 teams together cannot raise the same crowd as Armagh v Donegal did, one of the smaller counties versus one that is also far from Dublin.

Ok Stevie from Killeavy  :P

Gnevin

Quote from: bennydorano on August 28, 2008, 10:28:52 AM
Moot points as the option of cheaper entrance fees should be there - end of story. Surely you agree that this is a decision taken in regards to money and little else?  Is there not more to the association than maximising profit? 

Well the hill is opened now so I guess your maximising profit argument is out the window now or are they still maximising profit?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

orangeman

Quote from: Gnevin on August 28, 2008, 12:55:55 PM

Well the hill is opened now so I guess your maximising profit argument is out the window now or are they still maximising profit?

MORE profit now - the other tickets must be sold !  ;) :D

bennydorano

I wish I could say 'credit where credit's due', but why should there be credit given for doing something that should be done as par for the course? 

Bogball XV

Ticketmaster's allocation are obviously sold gnevin, if they weren't why would they have opened the hill??  The point is that people should have been able to buy tickets for whichever part of the ground they chose, when they wanted.

Over the Bar

Quote4 teams together cannot raise the same crowd as Armagh v Donegal

Ach sure when the wee diddy teams like Armagh get as far as a semi-final there's always a big hullaballoo!