Joe McQuillian - How NOT to referee

Started by JMohan, August 24, 2008, 06:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpower

As a very dissappointed Kerry man .I will leave the neutrals to judge . I am gutted .Having watched club and county over 30 years and cannot explain what happened .

orangeman

Quote from: johnpower on August 24, 2008, 09:01:32 PM
As a very dissappointed Kerry man .I will leave the neutrals to judge . I am gutted .Having watched club and county over 30 years and cannot explain what happened .

What do you make of the referee ?

JMohan

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 24, 2008, 07:42:29 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 24, 2008, 06:06:16 PM
Talk about a bad referee .... no common sense and just on a complete ego trip.

And where and in what do you referee yourself?
What has that go to do with the standard of refereeing?

johnpower

Quote from: orangeman on August 24, 2008, 09:04:07 PM
Quote from: johnpower on August 24, 2008, 09:01:32 PM

What do you make of the referee ?

/quote]

After Dara o Se got the line he gave Kerry some easy frees . O Conner should have known. I thougt that he would even it up in terms of red cards . The second Cork Goal was square ball while the penalty looked dodgy .The Kerry wides were terrible .even at the end after the penalty we hit the post

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: JMohan on August 24, 2008, 09:08:23 PM

It's easy to hold the referee up to ridicule on a public forum (and no, I'm not a referee). Yes, he made mistakes, but overall I don't think it was as bad as you're making out here, and even if it were, this is not the place to vent your frustrations, IMO.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zulu

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 24, 2008, 10:24:48 PM

It's easy to hold the referee up to ridicule on a public forum (and no, I'm not a referee). Yes, he made mistakes, but overall I don't think it was as bad as you're making out here, and even if it were, this is not the place to vent your frustrations, IMO.

Why not FoSB? I thought the ref was very poor today and surely this board is one of the forums we all have the right to express our opinions on. I mean if we were to take your point on board then unless we had played Inter County football none of us should comment on IC football. As long as a fellas oopinion is not overly abusive then I don't see the problem.

ONeill

Really cannot see where McQuillan went so wrong. He got the O'Se sending off spot on and had the balls to do it. He went on the linesman's advice for the other sending off and was probably correct. That was not a square ball and the penalty was 80/20. It was a bad-tempered match.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

JMohan

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 24, 2008, 10:24:48 PM

Get off yer high horse

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: JMohan on August 24, 2008, 10:47:18 PM
Get off yer high horse

You put your neck on the line like Mc Quillan did today, and I'll give you a free run.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2008, 10:37:16 PM
Why not FoSB? I thought the ref was very poor today and surely this board is one of the forums we all have the right to express our opinions on. I mean if we were to take your point on board then unless we had played Inter County football none of us should comment on IC football. As long as a fellas oopinion is not overly abusive then I don't see the problem.

Don't see where the latitude to start a new thread to slate a referee's performance from a very biased perspective is a given here Zulu -- plenty of scope within the main thread of the game itself, without getting as personal. More importantly, I don't see how 'debates' like this are going to help where referees are the issue. As to the main charge -- he called the Donaghy penalty wrong in the first half, but got the big calls correct with that exception.

JMohan

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 24, 2008, 10:51:28 PM
Get off yer high horse

You put your neck on the line like Mc Quillan did today, and I'll give you a free run.
It's his choice ... but if he's going to do it he should try and do it right.
I'm not slagging him for fun ... he made a good few bad calls in the second/third biggest football game of the year - just accept it

ONeill

Quote from: JMohan on August 24, 2008, 11:06:01 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 24, 2008, 10:51:28 PM
Get off yer high horse

I'm not slagging him for fun ... he made a good few bad calls in the second/third biggest football game of the year - just accept it

What were the bad calls?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zulu

I agree he got most of the big calls right, however I thought he was overly fussy and could have left the game flow a bit more. You are right however, this topic could have been covered in the main thread.

tyssam5

Quote from: thewobbler on August 24, 2008, 08:47:18 PM
Definitely a penalty for me. We can't allow our game to have a soccer-style variation of what constitutes a foul if it happens inside the square.

But, Masters' goal was a cast-iron square ball for my money. He was in the square before the ball, and lingering. I'm not a big fan of the square ball rule, but if it's in the rulebook, it should be implemented.

O'Sullivan should have made an attempt to play the ball maybe, just tried to put his arse into Masters, who got a great contact from a hard angle.

I didn't think the ref was that bad today, both teams lost the run of themselves, it's OK saying a better ref would have 'stamped his authority on the game', but sometimes when players decide they don't want to play football there's not much the ref can do about it?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: JMohan on August 24, 2008, 11:06:01 PM

Yes, and without his like we'd have no games, period.

And if you doubt that he tried to do it right, please explain just exactly where he was so badly wrong to cause you to come out with such a charge (you did say that you could go on in your initial post).