20 moments that shook Irish Sport - on RTE now.

Started by under the bar, August 19, 2008, 10:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 20, 2008, 09:48:11 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 20, 2008, 08:19:00 AM
Quote from: Rav67 on August 20, 2008, 01:23:57 AM
Laoislad- how can you say that about Michelle Smith?  You have serious green-tinted glasses if you think any of the world or olympic medals she won were not because of drugs.

If you can show me one document,newspaper article anything at all where it says she tested positive for drugs in the Olympic Games in Atlanta 1996 i will then have a different opinion..
Fact is she never ever tested positive for any drug at those games and thus in my mind is innocent until proven guilty.
What happened later on in her career has nothing to do with the Olympics '96.

Garry O'Toole called it, he said Smith disappeared for 18months, slipped out of the top 50 so she wouldnt be tested, didnt compete in any events always having an excuse to miss the competitions, then she turns up in the final event before the olmpics and blasts the competion away, he said that she didnt improve that much from training and told her be careful. All you have to do is listen to the people involved in swimming they know she couldnt improve by that much. Her husband and trainer was involved in a drugs scandal himself when he was an athelte. Why would she tamper with her sample if she had nothing to hide??? they said they found traces of drugs in her sample as well. She was a cheat unlucky to get caught because id say there were all at it at some stage.

Show me the prove that says she tested positive for drugs in Atlanta '96
Just because one man offers his opinion(O'Toole) doesn't make it true
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

You know I dont agree with what you say
It's just that if Keane had been a Liverpool player you wouldnt have been so vehement in your disdain for him

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on August 20, 2008, 12:45:55 PM
It's just that if Keane had been a Liverpool player you wouldnt have been so vehement in your disdain for him
Complete and utter bollix full back
I would always put Ireland ahead of Liverpool and it is his behaviour in Saipan that turned me against him.
Bernard Dunne the boxer summed him put perfectly in last nights show
But how do i defend myself when your mind is already made up about me and what I think
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Davitt Man

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 20, 2008, 12:51:48 PM
Quote from: full back on August 20, 2008, 12:45:55 PM
Complete and utter bollix full back
I would always put Ireland ahead of Liverpool and it is his behaviour in Saipan that turned me against him.
Bernard Dunne the boxer summed him put perfectly in last nights show
But how do i defend myself when your mind is already made up about me and what I think

Sure why was Dunne on that show anyway, sure he has won nothing yet, the way he going you would swear he was a world champ!! thats never going to happen

full back

Bernard Dunne - FFS ::)
Is this the same Bernard Dunne that said he should have played then walked over & chinned Mc Carthy or something like that......sayd it all
Keane was right, Mc Carthy was wrong IMHO

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on August 20, 2008, 12:56:30 PM
Is this the same Bernard Dunne that said he should have played then walked over & chinned Mc Carthy or something like that......sayd it all

Fair enough but maybe i could make the assumption if Keane wasn't a Man U player you wouldn't be so for him and think he was right  ;)
I think both you and Keane are wrong  :)

On a side note
I had to laugh though at Eammon Dunphy defending Keane last night back in 2002,Now he hates Keane
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

Just accept you are wrong LL & we can both move on ;)

Dunphy is some craic alright - he is as shallow as a puddle FFS
Very entertaining IMHO, but everything he says has to be taken with a bag of salt

stibhan

Roy Keane was treated like a child in Saipan, led into a pig circus that any manager would have known was going to cause a massive row that completely jeopardised any chance of Ireland competing at that World Cup. That Ireland did was a godsend more than any masterstroke on McCarthy's part. Even if McCarthy was surprised by his reaction that would probably tell you more about his man-management skills than anything else.

Oh, and Croke Park shouldn't have been opened up without the consent of a majority of the GAA. Both sides had valid arguments and at least democracy won through, to an extent.

glenullinabu

Quote from: Main Street on August 20, 2008, 10:55:58 AM
By the rules of the games she won her medals fair and square.
We celebrated Kelly and Roche though ;D

exactly to both points
as for samples they werent found to contain anything
the observers watched her pee into the cups
the cups of samples sealed at house and left the house with seals unbroken
so - how could smith have tampered with them?
it was a vendetta against her husband by the ioc / testers because of his history
if she had been a yank would there have been any allegations? i dont think so

orangeman

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 20, 2008, 01:01:34 PM
Quote from: full back on August 20, 2008, 12:56:30 PM

Fair enough but maybe i could make the assumption if Keane wasn't a Man U player you wouldn't be so for him and think he was right  ;)
I think both you and Keane are wrong  :)

On a side note
I had to laugh though at Eammon Dunphy defending Keane last night back in 2002,Now he hates Keane

Does he ?? Why so ???

stibhan

Quote from: glenullinabu on August 20, 2008, 01:44:59 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 20, 2008, 10:55:58 AM
By the rules of the games she won her medals fair and square.
We celebrated Kelly and Roche though ;D

exactly to both points
as for samples they werent found to contain anything
the observers watched her pee into the cups
the cups of samples sealed at house and left the house with seals unbroken
so - how could smith have tampered with them?
it was a vendetta against her husband by the ioc / testers because of his history
if she had been a yank would there have been any allegations? i dont think so

As far as I've heard, there were doubts as to whether she was properly observed when she took some of her tests. Wasn't there an American swimmer who saw the water fizz or something as well?

bennydorano

Quote from: orangeman on August 20, 2008, 10:55:09 AM
Quote from: Uladh on August 20, 2008, 10:41:46 AM

Kimmage can say what he likes but that's not the actual findings. she was charged and convicted of tampering with her sample only

A bit like being stopped by the cops and you full as a sheugh and not providing a sample !

Is that full as a shuck?  Is that the way to spell it?

dublinfella

This was the 20 moments of the television age so rules out Bloody Sunday.

I thought some of the voting was strange. Was the ref blowing up 2 mins early in the Clare v Offaly match really more shocking than Shergar being kidnapped or the sale of Milltown?

However it was quite a good show - interesting the GAA refused to let them use footage of the Aussie series violence.

Sean Boylan came off surprisingly well too.

Onion Bag

Anyone got the full 20 moments in the order they were placed
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Main Street