20 moments that shook Irish Sport - on RTE now.

Started by under the bar, August 19, 2008, 10:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

She put that much whiskey in the sample of piss that she would have been clinically dead !!

Jinxy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 20, 2008, 08:19:00 AM
Quote from: Rav67 on August 20, 2008, 01:23:57 AM
Laoislad- how can you say that about Michelle Smith?  You have serious green-tinted glasses if you think any of the world or olympic medals she won were not because of drugs.

If you can show me one document,newspaper article anything at all where it says she tested positive for drugs in the Olympic Games in Atlanta 1996 i will then have a different opinion..
Fact is she never ever tested positive for any drug at those games and thus in my mind is innocent until proven guilty.
What happened later on in her career has nothing to do with the Olympics '96.

If you think athletes only take performance enhancing drugs DURING competition you don't really understand much about training and human physiology. You can get such huge benefits from taking stuff during training that you don't need to take it in competition.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Uladh

There'd be no point taking most performance enhancing drugs during competition. the only exception would be betablockers or similar for archers or golfers.
Performance enhancers fundamentally allow the athlete to train harder/longer to enable them to develop more power/strength/endurance. for that reason competition testing is largely redundant and out of competition testing is the only way to get them.

Uladh

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 20, 2008, 09:48:11 AM
they said they found traces of drugs in her sample as well.

To the best of my recollection there has never been any suggestion of this.

full back

Quote from: Uladh on August 20, 2008, 10:24:49 AM

One of the journalists said last night they did find traces in her urine sample. He couldnt pronounce the name of it mind you...

Uladh

News to me. she has never ben accused of failing a drugs test

full back

The test had been tampered with, i.e the whiskey, but there were traces of a banned substance in it as well

Davitt Man

Quote from: full back on August 20, 2008, 10:28:34 AM
Quote from: Uladh on August 20, 2008, 10:24:49 AM

One of the journalists said last night they did find traces in her urine sample. He couldnt pronounce the name of it mind you...

Paul Kimmage said there were traces of some drug in the sample, he couldnt pernounce the word

Uladh

Kimmage can say what he likes but that's not the actual findings. she was charged and convicted of tampering with her sample only

full back

Quote from: Uladh on August 20, 2008, 10:41:46 AM

Kimmage can say what he likes but that's not the actual findings. she was charged and convicted of tampering with her sample only

You sound a bit like Jimmy Mc Gee

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on August 20, 2008, 10:41:46 AM

A bit like being stopped by the cops and you full as a sheugh and not providing a sample !

Main Street

By the rules of the games she won her medals fair and square. IMO she should not have been allowed to compete because she had not been seen to be tested clean for an 18 months? period beforehand.
I think everybody knew that there was something up at the time and her medals have not been celebrated.
In fact her medals triumph had been almost totally ignored by the public at the time.
There was a persistent vendetta against her by drunken journalists and others but mostly I think people made up their own minds on the matter, that there was too much doubt to be sure.

We celebrated Kelly and Roche though ;D

RMDrive

As my father used to say ... If it looks like a drug-taking chicken and swims like a drug-taking chicken then it's most likely a drug-taking chicken.

paddypastit

Firstly a reapeat pprogramme as is most TV stuf at this time of year.

Secondly this was a programme that started at the end, wanted to use Saipan (again!!) to draw in the viewer and then create the rest of the programme to fluff it out

Thirdly Smith was and is guilty right through.

Finally, sadly, Kimmage is so twisted in his perspectives from his own experiences that one has to take carefully anything he says.  If Jimmy Magee is ridiculous in his extreme and blind support for Smith, Kimmage is equally extreme in the other direction.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on August 20, 2008, 08:37:21 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 19, 2008, 11:53:20 PM
1- Roy Keane was,is and will always be wrong

Bollocks LL
Take those tinted glasses off

Jaysis I'm wearing so many pairs of tinted glasses it's a wonder i can even see where I'm going..
I love the way people always use the "take of the tinted glasses" line when the don't agree with what you say  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.