Armagh 1977 team

Started by ardmhachaabu, August 17, 2008, 08:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Its not our old field on the Moy Road, thats for sure Rufus.

PS Why was Devy not in the photo?

BerfArmagh

Real1995

Quote from: T Fearon on August 18, 2008, 10:01:51 AM
Thats the one alright. What club did Kelly play for, Dorsey?

Yeah that is Raymond Kelly beside paddy mo - he is played for us Mullaghbawn...
Nice guys always finish second!

T Fearon

Not bad eh,I was able to name them all except Raymond Kelly. Joey Donnelly, Tidsy Mc Kerr and Redmond Scullion were all contemporaries of mine at St Pat's in Armagh, though all further on in years I hasten to add.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: T Fearon on August 18, 2008, 12:13:37 PM
Not bad eh,I was able to name them all except Raymond Kelly. Joey Donnelly, Tidsy Mc Kerr and Redmond Scullion were all contemporaries of mine at St Pat's in Armagh, though all further on in years I hasten to add.

Is it not sore constantly patting yourself on the back??

Datsun Donaghy

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 18, 2008, 11:09:27 AM
Quote from: Armagh Exile on August 18, 2008, 08:05:17 AM
At the College Fields, Moy Road, Armagh.

Do you know that for definite Exile? This came up for discussion in the Club one night (that photo adorns our Committee room). There is a substantial building, on the same level as the team, behind the trees in the photo. That would make it unlikely to be the College fields. It seems to be on high ground somewhere -possibly the Convent grounds in Armagh City? 

This picture was taken in the grounds of St Brigid's School, where the county team trained in 1977. It is near the back entrance to the school, with St Catherine's College in the background. You can see the top of the wall which runs along the road leading to the Nursery Road.

The Iceman

Quote from: Datsun Donaghy on August 18, 2008, 02:19:10 PM

Do you know that for definite Exile? This came up for discussion in the Club one night (that photo adorns our Committee room). There is a substantial building, on the same level as the team, behind the trees in the photo. That would make it unlikely to be the College fields. It seems to be on high ground somewhere -possibly the Convent grounds in Armagh City? 

This picture was taken in the grounds of St Brigid's School, where the county team trained in 1977. It is near the back entrance to the school, with St Catherine's College in the background. You can see the top of the wall which runs along the road leading to the Nursery Road.

CIO
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

In the Onion Bag

The only ones I can remember are Paddy Mo (a great), McKerr and McCreesh.  God those pair were atrocious in the final. 
At least Down minors won that day.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: The Iceman on August 18, 2008, 06:55:40 PM
Quote from: Datsun Donaghy on August 18, 2008, 02:19:10 PM

CIO

Can I claim half a point for the convent? I knew  it looked like the Convent building in the background! Brilliant spot by the way Datsun.

I must ask Devie where he was that day.   

In the Onion Bag

This team will always be remembered as the team that Jimmy Keveney beat single handed. 

PS:  Why is this thread on the General GAA link and not not the Arma link?  After all, who else cares plus it only leaves you open to be shot at by snipers like meself?

crossfire

Raymond kelly from mullabawn is an uncle of Geezers.

This photo was taken earlier in the year and i think sean devlin was working in england at that time.
He only joined the panel in July i think.

zoyler

They also trained in the College field on the Moy Road.  McCreesh was bad on the day but remember hby that stage hew was getting past it and only got in the team be ause of injury to FinneganI think.  Also training and tactics in Armagh at the time were - to be kind - still in the early stages of development and they were out thought as well as outplayed by Dublin.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: zoyler on August 18, 2008, 10:52:05 PM
They also trained in the College field on the Moy Road.  McCreesh was bad on the day but remember hby that stage hew was getting past it and only got in the team be ause of injury to FinneganI think.  Also training and tactics in Armagh at the time were - to be kind - still in the early stages of development and they were out thought as well as outplayed by Dublin.

Was Tom not centre half back until the injury to Jim Finnegan? From memory, Jim Finnegan was full back, Tom centre half back and Paddy Mo was full forward. When Jim got crocked against Roscommon in the draw, Paddy Mo went to centre half back and Tom back to number three.

I remember well the open nights at the training, and as mentioned by Zoyler, we were a few years off the appliance of science!  :D     

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteWas Tom not centre half back until the injury to Jim Finnegan? From memory, Jim Finnegan was full back, Tom centre half back and Paddy Mo was full forward. When Jim got crocked against Roscommon in the draw, Paddy Mo went to centre half back and Tom back to number three.

Yep Rufus, dug out a programme I have from the 77 Roscommon match and that seems to have been what happened. The team which was lined out in the programme that day was

B McAlinden

Denis Stevenson   Jim Finnegan       Jim McKerr

Kevin Rafferty       Tom McCreesh    John Donnelly

Joe Kernan      Colm McKinstry

Larry Kearns         Jimmy Smyth       Noel Marley

Peter Loughran    Paddy Moriarty     Peter Trainor

I see Tom McCreesh's club was down as Ramor Utd. Is that a Cavan club or an Armagh club no longer in existence? (Wasn't there a second club operating out of Cross at one stage?)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

T Fearon

Ramor are/were a Cavan club. I saw Tom Mc Creesh at an Armagh game in Croker a couple of years ago and he hasn't changed a bit.

In fairness if in January 1977, anyone had suggested Armagh would have reached that year's All Ireland Final he or she would have been immediately despatched to St Lukes. We hadn't won an Ulster Title since 1953 even.

We still put three goals past the Dubs and nearly had a couple more, Paddy Mo's penalty miss and Devie's shot that came back off the post.