tyrone v's wexford 2008 Ai semi final

Started by the Deel Rover, August 16, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Hammer

My point was you'd want to be pretty sure of your ball-carrying skills if you're hoping to win frees that way. The fact is Armagh dispossessed our forwards legally several times in that first half, and if they had been more clinical about converting their possession into scores could have been further ahead at half-time. It's not a tactic I would recommend and I would rather see a forward kick a ball 10 yards wide than give it away, especially when his wing backs have come 50 yards up the field to support him ....

Breaking balls and turnovers are what will decide the outcome of most games. If we can break even or shade the midfield breaks as we have of late, and try to minimise turnovers when in possession then we'll give ourselves a chance.

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: under the bar on August 29, 2008, 02:19:37 PM
QuoteHow much would armagh give to have had McEnaney refereeing their game with wexford?

So it was the referee's fault that Armagh lost?   Can't see how Pat would have prevented their headless chicken routine in the last 15 mins?

Had pat or any other decent ref been in charge wexford would have had little more than one or two points at half time and the game would have been over

under the bar

QuoteHad pat or any other decent ref been in charge wexford would have had little more than one or two points at half time and the game would have been over

I know Pat has done Armagh favours in the past but to suggest that he would blow the game up 35 mins early is taking it too far!

20leg-end08

Quote from: under the bar on August 29, 2008, 02:58:02 PM
QuoteHad pat or any other decent ref been in charge wexford would have had little more than one or two points at half time and the game would have been over

I know Pat has done Armagh favours in the past but to suggest that he would blow the game up 35 mins early is taking it too far!

:D :D
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me

Fuzzman

Busy today at work so didn't get to look on here all day.

Looks like nobody else was as well.

Looks like it will be a sunny day with showers so could have a slippery ball again.

Think Tyrone will scrape thru but with a poor enuf performance with Cork not fearing us for the final.

Enjoy one and all

tyssam5

Quote from: Model Hammer on August 29, 2008, 02:44:05 PM
My point was you'd want to be pretty sure of your ball-carrying skills if you're hoping to win frees that way. The fact is Armagh dispossessed our forwards legally several times in that first half, and if they had been more clinical about converting their possession into scores could have been further ahead at half-time. It's not a tactic I would recommend and I would rather see a forward kick a ball 10 yards wide than give it away, especially when his wing backs have come 50 yards up the field to support him ....

Breaking balls and turnovers are what will decide the outcome of most games. If we can break even or shade the midfield breaks as we have of late, and try to minimise turnovers when in possession then we'll give ourselves a chance.

That's a good analysis in my opinion. Tyrone were totally dominated in terms of kick-outs won the last day, but they got a lot of turn-overs and were very clinical at using them.

Aaron Boone

Very little Tyone interviews in the Dublin papers this week. No shouting & speaking and thus under the radar which is what you want.

tyssam5

Yeah, I think the Cork/Kerry replay getting most of the attention has done use a favour. Also the Kerry and Cork fans will be behind Wexford, (those that bother staying), that will get the lads going and remind them what's at stake.

But I did shave this afternoon, frigging wedding to go to the tomorrow, so we could be in trouble.

Zapatista

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 30, 2008, 01:23:52 AM
But I did shave this afternoon, frigging wedding to go to the tomorrow, so we could be in trouble.

FFS didn't need to tell us that until after, now I'm really worried >:( >:( >:(.

Main Street

You should be encouraged Zapatista that there is a confidence about Tyrone's football ability to beat Wexford and not resorting to the desperate, the dark arts of superstition. :)

Zapatista

I broke a mirror this morning so I stuck a grand on Wexford ;)

D4S

Good Luck to Tyrone tomorrow, hope you win hopefully be a good game!!!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Star Spangler

Still plenty of tickets available from Ticketmaster for anyone who's starting to change their mind about watching it on tv!  €45 for THREE All Ireland semi-finals - couldn't beat that for entertainment.

ONeill

Good luck tomorrow lads. Our 11th All-Ireland semi.

'56 - lost to Galway
'57 - lost to Louth
'73 - lost to Cork
'84 - lost to Dublin
'86 - beat Galway
'89 - lost to Mayo
'95 - beat Galway
'96 - lost to Meath
'03 - beat Kerry
'05 - beat Armagh

As McHugh said on thon programme, Tyrone are somewhere between the Mayo performance and the Dublin experience. They're hard to gauge we don't really know what Tyrone we'll see tomorrow. I think we have the better players.

Tyrone 1-15 Wexford 0-12
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrones own

If we can hold our own in the middle, might see the 3rd mid fielder fall into the sweeper role of sorts in front of Forde,
even though they'll probably be thumping high ball in on top of him all day and so maybe Joey could add a bit of height in that regard
If we can nullify Mattie then I think we have the backs to man mark Banville, Lyng, Barry and co or at least curb the threat.
We'll def need the shooting boots on at the other end though but i believe we'll have enough to get over the line..... I hope :-\
Wexford are a very pacey team and the fitness going into the last 15 minutes will play a huge part in the outcome 8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann