tyrone v's wexford 2008 Ai semi final

Started by the Deel Rover, August 16, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Tommy Lyons said on The Sunday Game that the mark of a good team is the subs bench - Tyrone have a good bench.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The Bench:

16. Pascal McConnell   An Baile Nua 2 Celtic Crosses
17. Dermot Carlin  Coill an Chlochair 1 Celtic Cross
18. Colm Cavanagh  An Mhaigh
19. Peter Donnelly   Oilean a'Ghuail 1 Celtic Cross
20. Niall Gormley Trí Leac
21. Kevin Hughes Cill Íseal 1 Celtic Cross
22. Cathal McCarron An Droim Mhór
23. Damian McCaul Domhnach Mór
24. Michael McGee Loch Mhic Ruairí 2 Celtic Crosses
25. Ryan Mellon An Mhaigh 2 Celtic Crosses
26. Raymond Mulgrew An Chorra Chriochach
27. Owen Mulligan An Chorra Chríochach 2 Celtic Crosses
28. Shaun O'Neill An Droim Mhór
29. Martin Penrose Achadh Uí Aráin 1 Celtic Cross
30. PJ Quinn Baile na Móna
31. Jonathan Curran Oilean a'Ghuail 

Yerra, not a bad bench  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyronefan

your missing at least one celtic cross from your bench list   Dermy Carlin has one 2003

Puckoon

Didnt penrose feature on the bench in 05?

Puckoon

And peter Donnelly - he's been knocking about for a few years now.

comethekingdom

Quote from: Main Street on August 28, 2008, 02:53:41 PM
I wish Wexford all the best as well and Matty Ford to show once again that he is one of the class footballers of his generation.

But I'll be cheering for the modern aristocrats of gaelic football  :)

Good to see youse supporting the Kingdom on Sunday who incidentely have always been the aristocrats !! ;) ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Sorry comethekingdom, I think you've slightly misquoted Main Street there, it should have been:

Quote from: Main Street on August 28, 2008, 02:53:41 PM
I wish Wexford all the best as well and Matty Ford to show once again that he is one of the class footballers of his generation.

But I'll be cheering for the modern aristocrats of gaelic football  :)

;D

Norf Tyrone

Is that Johnny Curran's first time in the squad for this season or have I just missed him. If it is does that mean one of our keepers is carrying a knock?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yes and No Norf: Jon Curran's first time yes, but no we're not carrying a keeper injury, and he is number 31.

orangeman

Vote of confidence in the entire team especially Holmes - it's unreal how things change over the course of a season - at the start of it, not many would have seen room for Holmes. Fair dues to him for keeping at it.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 28, 2008, 11:22:10 PM
Yes and No Norf: Jon Curran's first time yes, but no we're not carrying a keeper injury, and he is number 31.

Its not his first time in the squad this season either, he's been on the panel all year (and we've had the 3 goalies all year too).

No surprises with the team named, hard to change the team who turned in such a superb performance against the Dubs. Can they reach something approaching the same level again?? Thats the big question and the fact that the Dublin game was Tyrone's first and only showing at that level all year mean its a big challenge and given Tyrone's patchy form and Wexford's exploits over recent months I really dont understand why anybody would make Tyrone big favourites here ???.

My big concern before the Dublin game was the lack of free scoring forwards on the current Tyrone panel. On the day numbers 2-12 weighed in with an exceptional 2-7 but you wont get that every day. Ultimately we need (like happened againgst the Dubs) the big names to be at their best and the supporting cast to rise to the occasion. Anything less and Wexford will be well placed to win it.

laceer

Quote from: orangeman on August 29, 2008, 12:02:22 AM
Vote of confidence in the entire team especially Holmes - it's unreal how things change over the course of a season - at the start of it, not many would have seen room for Holmes. Fair dues to him for keeping at it.

i questioned holmes involvment against mayo and didn't think he should have started against the dubs, but have to hold my hands up - he was the perfect man for marking whelan.deserves his place.fair play to him

Model Hammer

I'd love to say that Wexford are going to throw caution to the wind and this will be a rip-roaring end-to-end game of football, but I don't think it will ...

I think it will be in Wexford's interests to try to stifle the pace of the game and to try to limit the number of scoring - especially goal - chances, to Tyrone early on. I expect a few stoppages if they can get away with it, as I think the main aim will be to get to HT still in touch with Tyrone. We have free-takers who can convert from the sideline on either side, and we may be relying on them to keep us in touch a la Armagh, but I hope not, as playing for frees is a dangerous game. Neither Tyrone nor Pat McEneaney will give us anything soft.

if the first 15 can sustain the physical effort to stay with Tyrone for the first 45 minutes, then I would be confident that we have the fellas on the bench to come on and provide the spark. Stafford or Howlin at MF can do a job, Deely and Roche have the pace up front, and Niall Murphy will be chomping at the bit to use his pace and aggression (and class) to help out in defence.

It will be a 20-man performance from Wexford, and whether it's good enough or not, I hope they leave nothing in the dressing-room and have a right go. Again, if they can get to the last quarter still in with a shout, then they have showed all year that they can win big games in that final quarter. The biggest ask will be maintaining the challenge to get ourselves into that position.

Big performances needed from our core of experienced players who have spent the last 7/8 years building up to a day like this - Wallace, Morris, Murphy, Barry, Colfer, Forde. They need to lead and bring the younger lads on.

It'll be a great day, and if the heads are right anything's possible. The ability is there if enough fellas perform.

Come on The Model!!

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: Model Hammer on August 29, 2008, 12:54:20 PM
I'd love to say that Wexford are going to throw caution to the wind and this will be a rip-roaring end-to-end game of football, but I don't think it will ...

I think it will be in Wexford's interests to try to stifle the pace of the game and to try to limit the number of scoring - especially goal - chances, to Tyrone early on. I expect a few stoppages if they can get away with it, as I think the main aim will be to get to HT still in touch with Tyrone. We have free-takers who can convert from the sideline on either side, and we may be relying on them to keep us in touch a la Armagh, but I hope not, as playing for frees is a dangerous game. Neither Tyrone nor Pat McEneaney will give us anything soft.

if the first 15 can sustain the physical effort to stay with Tyrone for the first 45 minutes, then I would be confident that we have the fellas on the bench to come on and provide the spark. Stafford or Howlin at MF can do a job, Deely and Roche have the pace up front, and Niall Murphy will be chomping at the bit to use his pace and aggression (and class) to help out in defence.

It will be a 20-man performance from Wexford, and whether it's good enough or not, I hope they leave nothing in the dressing-room and have a right go. Again, if they can get to the last quarter still in with a shout, then they have showed all year that they can win big games in that final quarter. The biggest ask will be maintaining the challenge to get ourselves into that position.

Big performances needed from our core of experienced players who have spent the last 7/8 years building up to a day like this - Wallace, Morris, Murphy, Barry, Colfer, Forde. They need to lead and bring the younger lads on.

It'll be a great day, and if the heads are right anything's possible. The ability is there if enough fellas perform.

Come on The Model!!

How much would armagh give to have had McEnaney refereeing their game with wexford?

under the bar

QuoteHow much would armagh give to have had McEnaney refereeing their game with wexford?

So it was the referee's fault that Armagh lost?   Can't see how Pat would have prevented their headless chicken routine in the last 15 mins?