tyrone v's wexford 2008 Ai semi final

Started by the Deel Rover, August 16, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7584766.stm

It has surely been the one of the memorable images of this year's Football Championship.

The menacingly bearded Joe McMahon, complete with scary-looking gumshield, reacting to his stunning goal against the shellshocked Dubs at Croke Park.

Joe Brolly used to generate plenty of column inches as he blew kisses to the crowd in his regular goal celebrations.

But the Dungiven man's antics had none of the wonderful spontaneity that McMahon exhibited earlier this month.

Crucially, Joe of the Brolly variety never managed to grow a decent beard either even though I have vague recollections that a goatie of sorts may have appeared on the Derryman at one point.

Could be wrong on that score.

Such was the emphatic nature of the finish, you would be entitled to assume that McMahon regularly bangs in spectacular goals for his club Omagh St Enda's.

But the full-back turned half-forward insists that "relief" was his primary emotion as the ball flashed passed Stephen Cluxton.

606: DEBATE
Give your thoughts on this weekend's games

"Cluxton is a very good keeper so I was just delighted to have got the shot past him," says Joe, ahead of Sunday's All-Ireland Football semi-final against Wexford.

"But a lot of credit must go to Tommy McGuigan for the great ball across."

With his brother Justin appearing to nail down the number three jersey this year, Joe has been something of a jack of all trades for the Red Hands this season.

Given that he regularly operates at full-forward for his club, he is used to making and taking scores and he is happy to fulfil whatever role Mickey Harte deems appropriate.

"This year I have moved about quite a bit. I have played half-forward in the last two games which has meant that I have played alongside Brian McGuigan and Brian Dooher - two great players.

"In the half-forwards, you're trying to match the workrate of Brian Dooher. If you can do that, you're doing well."

McMahon agrees that his display against Dublin was "probably" one of his best performances in the Red Hand jersey.

"Looking back, the (All-Ireland) semi-final against Armagh in 2005 was a good game but the Dublin match this year would definitely be up there (with my best displays)."   I think Ricey's beard looks a bit scarier than mine

Tyrone's Joe McMahon

Given the circumstances of Tyrone's previous struggles this year, the team's display in dismantling the Dubs was arguably the county's greatest performance since Mickey Harte took the Red Hand reins in late 2002.

A small but vocal section of Tyrone's support appeared to be calling for Harte's head after the Ulster Championship defeat by Down and McMahon believed that the criticism was unjustified, given the manager's record.

"Mickey did come under a lot of pressure after we lost to Down but we (the squad) knew ourselves that it was a minority (of people). It was very unfair that he did get that stick.

"We know Mickey. He just gets on with things. He's very determined and that it reflected in the team itself."

As regards the beards issue, McMahon says that the idea popped up in training after the Down defeat.

"I didn't want another close shave (on the field) until the rest of the season so it will be staying until the end.

"My beard has been getting a bit of publicity after the Dublin game but I think Ricey's (Ryan McMenamin's) looks a bit scarier than mine."

Got to disagree with you on that point, Joseph!

Kerry Mike

QuoteI didn't want another close shave (on the field) until the rest of the season so it will be staying until the end.

I hear Jason Ryan has ordered a packet of BIC disposables (the yellow ones that rip the face off you) to be delivered to each of the Tyrone players in the dressing room before the game. Mickey Harte might get a lick of a razor too.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Puckoon

MH has had that beard since a wild weekend in England many many moons ago, he wont be shaving it any time soon.

Hardy

ziggysego

The BBC have just announced they will be showing the game live on BBC 2. :)
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

Quote from: ziggysego on August 28, 2008, 01:00:56 PM
The BBC have just announced they will be showing the game live on BBC 2. :)

AFTER the tickets have been sold !

I wonder who told them there was a game on ?  ;) :D ;D

Keepthefaith93

I would just like to wish Wexford all the best for Sunday.

orangeman

Zapatista

I am not suggesting Wexford are underdogs but why is it you hear so many say "may the best team win" and also say "I always support the underdogs"?

Main Street

I wish Wexford all the best as well and Matty Ford to show once again that he is one of the class footballers of his generation.

But I'll be cheering for the modern aristocrats of gaelic football  :)

omagh_gael

So team being named tonight, anyone think there will be any changes? I would hardly think so unless there's some last minute tinkering at five to four on Sunday!!

Tyrone Dreamer

Really cant see any changes. PJ Quinn,Mellon or Mulligan would be the best bets if there was a change but I cant see it. McMahon or Cavanagh could go to midfield instead of Holmes and Mulligan in but I really cant see it happening.

Fear ón Srath Bán

No changes:

Tyrone Senior Team v Wexford
GAA All Ireland Football Semi Final

1. John Devine Aireagal Chiaráin
2. Ryan McMenamin An Droim Mhór
3. Justin McMahon An Omaigh
4. Ciarán Gourley An Charraig
5. Davy Harte Aireagal Chiaráin
6. Conor Gormley An Charraig Mhór
7. Philip Jordan An Mhaigh
8. Colin Holmes Na Clairsigh
9. Enda McGinley Aireagal Chiaráin
10. Brian Dooher (C ) Clann na nGael
11. Brian McGuigan Ard Bó
12. Joseph McMahon An Omaigh
13. Tommy McGuigan Ard Bó
14. Sean Cavanagh An Mhaigh
15. Colm McCullagh An Droim Mhór

16. Pascal McConnell   An Baile Nua
17. Dermot Carlin  Coill an Chlochair
18. Colm Cavanagh  An Mhaigh
19. Peter Donnelly   Oilean a'Ghuail
20. Niall Gormley Trí Leac
21. Kevin Hughes Cill Íseal
22. Cathal McCarron An Droim Mhór
23. Damian McCaul Domhnach Mór
24. Michael McGee Loch Mhic Ruairí
25. Ryan Mellon An Mhaigh
26. Raymond Mulgrew An Chorra Chriochach
27. Owen Mulligan An Chorra Chríochach
28. Shaun O'Neill An Droim Mhór
29. Martin Penrose Achadh Uí Aráin
30. PJ Quinn Baile na Móna
31. Jonathan Curran Oilean a'Ghuail 
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Star Spangler

If you took 15 players from no.s 16 - 31 you'd still have a side capable of beating a lot of counties.  They'd certainly be better than Derry's first 15 anyhow.