tyrone v's wexford 2008 Ai semi final

Started by the Deel Rover, August 16, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 26, 2008, 11:45:14 PM
I don't see complacency being an issue here at all, quite the reverse. Plus the clean sheet with injuries.

Jaysus a clean sheet is pushing it a bit.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

As I said before the Dublin game, I was more worried about meeting Wexford than I was about meeting Dublin.

This one won't be easy for the O'Neill County, but cool heads will hopefully see us through. Wexford are the on form team, of what's left and they won't be listening to the pundits and bookies. It's their for the taking.... and they just might take it ;)
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2008, 11:51:36 PM
I don't see complacency being an issue here at all, quite the reverse. Plus the clean sheet with injuries.

Relatively, with Colm Cav back on the bench, and Paul Quinn being the only panel absentee.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 26, 2008, 11:55:06 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 26, 2008, 11:51:36 PM

Relatively, with Colm Cav back on the bench, and Paul Quinn being the only panel absentee.

Erm, twas a poor attempt at a joke concerning the 'clean sheet' as used in MOTD!

Fear ón Srath Bán

I thought perhaps that was what you'd meant, but then thought you thought I was being inconsiderate to young Quinn, so not to appear heartless...  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Was speaking to an insider in the Down set-up who is devilishly good with numbers. He claimed that a major facet to the Model's game was the confidence they've garnered from winning throughout the year. They went through the NFL unbeaten, got to the Leinster final and appear to have wiped the Dublin game from their system and embarked afresh on another run. The word 'cocky' was mentioned but I'm sure he meant assured.

On_the_Couch

Whilst I would be cautious about not taking Wexford seriously, there is also a danger in taking them too seriously.  Let nobody underestimate the enormity of the occasion for both sets of players, but in particular Wexford.  Its very easy for us armchair pundits to sit on our asses and say things like "Wexford having nothing to loose" and they can therefore "throw caution to the wind" - bollix they have perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity to get to an All-Ireland final and they are going up against a bunch of seasoned campaigners who, if judging by the game against Dublin, are beginning to motor in a major way.    

I'll nail my colours to the mast and say Tyrone by 5.

tyrone86

The more I think of this game, the more I see parallels with the men of 89 beginning to appear. Fair enough, things are slightly more low key this time and there is none of this "unfinished business" carry on but there are a lot of guys on the side with a lot of experience and plenty of miles on the clock. In 89 Mayo weren't taken for granted, but the talk was of  September and Croke Park. The same applies now with Wexford, as much as posters here try to downplay it, the average joe is expecting, especially after the Dublin performance - just as they did in 89 after the performance against Donegal in the Ulster Final replay.

Perhaps the difference is that the current side have gotten over the line twice previously and the affair with Sam is no longer unrequited, but the memories of 89 should be fresh enough to make sure nothing is taken for granted.

Hardy

QuoteWexford having nothing to loose

Matty Forde? The dogs of war? All hell?

feetofflames

If I had my way I would burn all these armchairs in Gaelic sport. 
Chief Wiggum

orangeman

Quote from: tyrone86 on August 27, 2008, 12:30:21 AM
The more I think of this game, the more I see parallels with the men of 89 beginning to appear. Fair enough, things are slightly more low key this time and there is none of this "unfinished business" carry on but there are a lot of guys on the side with a lot of experience and plenty of miles on the clock. In 89 Mayo weren't taken for granted, but the talk was of  September and Croke Park. The same applies now with Wexford, as much as posters here try to downplay it, the average joe is expecting, especially after the Dublin performance - just as they did in 89 after the performance against Donegal in the Ulster Final replay.

Perhaps the difference is that the current side have gotten over the line twice previously and the affair with Sam is no longer unrequited, but the memories of 89 should be fresh enough to make sure nothing is taken for granted.

1889 ?

Wat age are you ? 86 ??????? ;)

orangeman

Mickey Harte has been given a big boost by the news that Colm Cavanagh has returned to the Tyrone squad ahead of this Sunday's All-Ireland SFC semi-final with Wexford.

The Moy clubman, who is a brother of ace attacker Sean, was expected to be out for at least six weeks after suffering what looked like a broken collar-bone in the defeat of Westmeath last month, but as returned to the panel in time for the Red Hands' first last four clash in three years.

Cavanagh is expected to start among the substitutes on his return and will provide Harte with a useful attacking option should the Tyrone boss decide to spring him from the bench.

The only other concern in the squad is Paul Quinn, who is likely to be ruled out again through injury, other than that Tyrone have a full hand to choose from.

Rois

Quote from: tyrone86 on August 27, 2008, 12:30:21 AM

As the majority of the current players are younger than me, I don't think 89 will be fresh in their minds as it's not too fresh in mine.  Hopefully it will be moreso the memories of 03 and 05 that'll ignite their imaginations and they'll strive to recapture that feeling.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the county being disappointed if we don't beat Wexford.  I don't mind saying that I have provisionally booked a few days off after the All Ireland final, and if Tyrone aren't there, so be it, I won't take the days off, and I'll acknowledge that Wexford were the better team on the day.  I'll still be gutted though.
I don't think it's our god-given right to win, and as someone said, it's 15 against 15 on the day and as we've seen, anything can happen in the championship.  But one team has to emerge victorious, what's wrong with hoping that it's us?

Oh, and was Colm Cavanagh not in the subs the last time out against Dublin?  He definately ran down the sideline with another player who was warming up, all kitted out.  Good news if he's back to fitness.
I'd love to be in a final.  And I'm going on Sunday to shout and cheer and support the Tyrone footballers to bring us there so I can finally use up the load of holidays I've got left!!    

tyrone86

It was the supporters and the management in particular I was referring to Rois, I'd say a 9 year old Pascal McConnell mightn't remember big Finbarr and his "Unfinished Business" T-Shirt, but Mickey Harte and Tony Donnelly should be old enough to remember it as "the one that got away"

1889 orangeman? Jaysis, my great granda would hardly have been a twinkle in my great-great granda's eye at that stage.

lynchbhoy

shoul dbe plenty of tickets for tyronies on sun.
Cork and kerry fans are almost as numerous as Derry fanatics going to croker, and a wexford friend of mine reckons that wex would be requiring 5000 - 10,000 tickets - but closer to 5000 he reckoned !
:o :(