Should Galvin be allowed to train with Kerry ? Officials have stopped him !!

Started by orangeman, August 14, 2008, 11:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Croke Park say that Paul Galvin can't train with his team AFTER having told the Kerry County Board that they should interpret the rule whatever way they wanted. So when Galvin went to train with Kerry, Croke Park officials have stepped in and said he can't train with a team.

This is childish, petty, silly, stupid, nonsensical but yet tyrpical of an organisation who do so much GREAT work but then go and lose all credibilty by making decisions like this.

I've never known a suspended player to NOT train with his team.

Where does this suspension from the GAA stop ????

Would a suspended player / person not be able to pick up litter round his GAA park ???

Time for a change in the rule and it's time officialdom in Croke Park had a good look at themselves.

What Galvin did was wrong but the abuse that he has taken in the process all along the way has been a scandal.

And Croke Park for whatever reason have now stepped in and delivered the final insult !!!!! They should hang their heads !

Over the Bar

QuoteAnd Croke Park for whatever reason have now stepped in and delivered the final insult !!!!! They should hang their heads !

Just like they should hang their heads for halving his suspension!

Denn Forever

As I asked on an earlier thread, I thought the GAA were having the rule book looked over by a barrister so that injunction like the Westmeath case in 2004 couldn't happen?  Instead we've got the DRA, CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC, etc.  Was the rule book looked at?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

orangeman

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 14, 2008, 11:54:49 AM
QuoteAnd Croke Park for whatever reason have now stepped in and delivered the final insult !!!!! They should hang their heads !

Just like they should hang their heads for halving his suspension!

I think this is probably linked to it ok.

T Toatler

The rule is very much open to how you interpret it. Under 149 C FOR CATEGORY 1,2 and 3 offences it appears you can train away, no problem. Galvins suspension is under 149 D and that includes a reference to "functions" and Croker say that covers him. I tought Functions would mean Beer drinking and the like.

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

orangeman

clarshack

Main Street

Did Croke Park even want to know about Galvin training?

Bizarrely, training must be regarded as part of the competition.
It is not a function nor is it a privilege.

AZOffaly

What strikes me as being petty is they allowed the Kerry Board to interpret it, in fact they did more than that. They refused to clarify and told the Kerry board to go away and apply it whatever way they thought it should be.

THEN they came back and told them they were wrong. It's so stupid. Surely if they were asked for guidance they should have just given them the answer straight away. Seemingly they don't 'have time' to answer the question once, but they did have time to get back to Kerry after the next training session.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on August 14, 2008, 12:59:15 PM
Did Croke Park even want to know about Galvin training?

Bizarrely, training must be regarded as part of the competition.
It is not a function nor is it a privilege.

I think it's a function of the GAA in that training must be 'official' to be covered by expenses, insurance etc etc. Not a function maybe, but a functional area.

orangeman

Quote from: tram on August 14, 2008, 01:11:23 PM
I would take an educated guess and say that Galvin's (and anyone else's) suspension bars him from stepping foot on any GAA vested ground or taking part in sanctioned activities which would need to be covered by insurance. If Kerry's training sessions are taking place on a county or club pitch, Galvin might not be permitted to do so - I know that other players who have been suspended have during their time been barred from managing underage teams they take or from officiating e.g. umpire or linesman, rarely referring but that counts too.. I have heard being mentioned in the past of suspended players being banned from taking part in training but it is rarely (if ever) enforced.

Managers who are suspended are allowed to go to the stand etc. So I think you could be wrong there.

This is just petty and smacks of an official(s) who weren't happy with the suspension being halved and who now want to put the boot in.

Roashter

Regardless of the Paul Galvin case but this is an absolutely ridiculous rule.
To stop a person from training is just absurd.
I don't know if this is the case in soccer or rugby but I'd be very surprised if it was.

Seeing that he is suspended from "functions" within the GAA, what would happen if he was employed by the GAA as a coach or something else. Would his suspension carry onto his employment, surely the european/Irish labour laws would have something to say about it then.

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"