If you were giving out All Stars at this stage, who would be shoo ins ?

Started by orangeman, August 11, 2008, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Any Kilkenny players that get an all star reillers will have earned it over more than one game. The way I see it KK players will actually play themselves out of all stars in the final and not into it. Anyone who has a bad / average game will probably not get one while anyone who has an outstanding game will get one providing they've backed this up with a few games before this.

I'll give you some examples I'm thinking of here...
Michael Kavanagh / Brian Hogan, outstanding as they are, will not IMO be able to play themselves to an all start no matter how good they are . Why - because they've been the least outstanding of KK players so far. Quite possibly likewise with the goalie.
If players like Eddie `Brennan or Eoin Larkin are average in the final they'll play themselves out of it. If either are outstanding they'll supplement their previous performances.

Your theory about one game and your previous theory about KK not being challenged so shouldn't be favourites etc is nonsense - they haven't been challenged because no one can challenge them.
Wexford and Offaly were demolished and yet gave very tough games to Munster opposition and even beat Munster opposition.

IMO the league should only count if backed up by championship performances. O'Mahoney and McGrath are two men who have very much done this so should get one. I don't think Canning has done it in latter stages in c'ship and had only a league game or two so may not get it.

It would be bad if Ben O'Connor didn't get one but I think he will.

I'm not sure but do think that Eoin Kelly / Henry Shefflin may be victims of their own success. They're not racking up the scores they have done previously. Shefflin has a chance yet and may well get one but Kelly, while being excellent(that last 65 aside), will most likely not.

youngfella

IF Henry Shefflin doesnt get an all star, ill eat my moldy old trainer
Pull hard and early

orangeman

Quote from: youngfella on August 20, 2008, 08:42:25 PM
IF Henry Shefflin doesnt get an all star, ill eat my moldy old trainer

I think you're safe enough !!! ;)

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 20, 2008, 08:23:28 PM
Any Kilkenny players that get an all star reillers will have earned it over more than one game. The way I see it KK players will actually play themselves out of all stars in the final and not into it. Anyone who has a bad / average game will probably not get one while anyone who has an outstanding game will get one providing they've backed this up with a few games before this.

I'll give you some examples I'm thinking of here...
Michael Kavanagh / Brian Hogan, outstanding as they are, will not IMO be able to play themselves to an all start no matter how good they are . Why - because they've been the least outstanding of KK players so far. Quite possibly likewise with the goalie.
If players like Eddie `Brennan or Eoin Larkin are average in the final they'll play themselves out of it. If either are outstanding they'll supplement their previous performances.

Your theory about one game and your previous theory about KK not being challenged so shouldn't be favourites etc is nonsense - they haven't been challenged because no one can challenge them.
Wexford and Offaly were demolished and yet gave very tough games to Munster opposition and even beat Munster opposition.

IMO the league should only count if backed up by championship performances. O'Mahoney and McGrath are two men who have very much done this so should get one. I don't think Canning has done it in latter stages in c'ship and had only a league game or two so may not get it.

It would be bad if Ben O'Connor didn't get one but I think he will.

I'm not sure but do think that Eoin Kelly / Henry Shefflin may be victims of their own success. They're not racking up the scores they have done previously. Shefflin has a chance yet and may well get one but Kelly, while being excellent(that last 65 aside), will most likely not.

Leinster teams going in against Kilkenny have lost before they've even got in the gate. They not only expect to loose, they expect to be trashed, and they are.
Why should Shefflin get an All Star, he was crap in Leinster, only scoring from frees. He played one good game against us. And there's my case and point. He'd one good game, and you're so sure he'll get an All Star.

imtommygunn

How do you know they expect to lose?

Wexford stayed with Kilkenny until Eddie Brennan opened up.

Cork stayed with Kilkenny until pretty much the same thing happened.

If Shefflin has a poor final I don't think he'll deserve an all star however I'd be very surprised if he were to have a poor final. Leinster was getting fit for him and he did a right bit of damage of O'Halpin and not many can ever say that. He was decent in Leinster - not his usual standard but to be expected considering. Cork he was back to that.

orangeman

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2008, 09:36:59 AM

If Shefflin has a poor final I don't think he'll deserve an all star however I'd be very surprised if he were to have a poor final. Leinster was getting fit for him and he did a right bit of damage of O'Halpin and not many can ever say that. He was decent in Leinster - not his usual standard but to be expected considering. Cork he was back to that.

That seemed to be a deliberate Kilkenny ploy that day - Cody seemed sure that Shefflin would take on OhAilpin and beat him - ad that's exactly how it panned out.

For that game alone he'll get the gong.

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2008, 09:36:59 AM

Until a lead opened up. All Leinster teams have the same attitude. They've lost to KK before the balls been thrown in. If the manage to stay with KK for a while, then great, but nothing more then a loss is expected. They just hope they don't get trashed.

orangeman

As for Kilkenny. They get to not just write the history but to own it too. And not a voice in the house can begrudge them. Hand them 15 All Stars and be done with the year

What do you think ??

Kilkenny to make up the entire 2008 All Star team ???

EddieMerx

Agree, even TJ Reid deserves one and he is a sub on the cats team

slow corner back

15 might be a bit much but 9 or 10 is far from out of the question. PJ Ryan, Hickey, Tommy Walsh,JJ, Cha, Shefflin, Eoin Larkin and Eddie Brennan are certainties. Derek Lyng,Kavanagh, Aidan Fogarty and Brian Hogan all are worthy of consideration as is Jackie Tyrell. However I do think that Joe Canning, Eoin Kelly (Waterford) and at least one Tipp player, probably McGrath is certain. Personally I think it will be 9-10 Cats, two Tipp,1 two Waterford, 1 Galway and 1-2 Corkmen depending on how many the Cats get.
By the way what is the record for most all stars from one team?

imtommygunn

I think the sunday game had close to what it will be though not sure there'll be so many KK defenders.

Eoin Kelly has to get one as does Ben O'Connor. I think if Fogarty was outstanding yesterday he could have denied Canning but don't think he did enough. I think O'Mahoney does too but Eoin Murphy could have got a corner back spot and played himself out of it yesterday.

On yesterday I thought John Mullane was a credit. People were anticipating him having disciplien problems. Despite the score he plugged away and never a sign of ill discipline in him.

Eddie Brennan can kill a game in 5 minutes flat. I wonder what the story is with him. Does he just decide to turn it on or does it just happen. It's funny the way he just hits a mad scoring burst though never seems to sustain it for a full game.

ExiledGael

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 12, 2008, 05:21:41 PM
Anyone know the record for players from one county getting All-Stars? Cats could end up in double figures though Shane McGrath, Mullane and Canning must feature.

Just checked myself, Kilkenny had 9 in 2000, Tipp and Clare had eight each in 2001 and 1995 respectively.

Had this question a few pages back SCB. This record could well go. Shane McGrath is a cert, Canning almost so and Mullane also. Have a feeling Brendan Cummins may get one too, Ryan's probably unfortunate in this aspect as he has the least to do of all 'keepers.
I'd go with:
                            Cummins
Hickey                Kavanagh             Curran
JJ Delaney           Walsh               O'Mahony
                  Cha           Shane McGrath
Larkin                  Shefflin               Mullane
Brennan            Canning                 Kelly

Ben O'Connor is the most unfortunate but can't look past those two.

slow corner back

You dont look too far away there EG although I would say that Ryan did not concede a goal all year. I know the fourteen in front had quite a bit to do with that but what more can a keeper do except keep clean sheets and take good puck outs

orangeman

Quote from: slow corner back on September 08, 2008, 08:53:38 PM
You dont look too far away there EG although I would say that Ryan did not concede a goal all year. I know the fourteen in front had quite a bit to do with that but what more can a keeper do except keep clean sheets and take good puck outs

That's right - PJ can do no more - but I think I know where EG is coming from - Cummins had to make saves  -  PJ didn't because of the defence he had in front of him -

Eoin Kelly of Waterford I assume EG ??? Not the Tipp man ?