If you were giving out All Stars at this stage, who would be shoo ins ?

Started by orangeman, August 11, 2008, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 19, 2008, 03:28:07 PM
I would agree fully. On best 15 he has to be there but I think your comment about the most significant impacts on the championship seems to be the way they pick.

(Yep sorry I should have said stand out and not decent - obviously one of, if not the, best performance of the year vs Cork with Eoin Kelly v Offaly to challenge)

Amazing they were both on the same day.

Onlooker

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2008, 02:48:04 PM
And Tipp went on and won the All Ireland that year without him, so his league must have been sensational.
It was as long ago as 1994 that John Leahy won an All Star for his performance in the National League Final.  He was injured playing for Tipperary in the Munster Football Championship against Clare and missed Tipp's defeat by Clare in the Munster Hurling Championship.  There wre no "back doors" in those years.  I don't have to tell you that Offaly won the All Ireland that year.

AZOffaly

I remember the incident. I think the football was inside in the old Gaelic Grounds? Time flies :D. Or was it Clonmel?

Roashter

It was in the old gaelic grounds alright, and as far as I can remember Tipp won that game, and Clare had a pretty good football team between 1991-97.
(was actually at the game but the memory is not what it used to be...I blame buckfast)

I could be wrong but is that when Leahy tore his cruciate ?

Onlooker

Tipp beat Clare in the Football and lost to Cork in the Munster Final in Cork.  John Leahy's injury was not a cruciate injury.  That was a few years later when he came on as a sub against Clare (Hurling) in Cork.

youngfella

Its frightening to think but the non starting 15 of KK are:

James McGarry-Goalkeeper- Bennettsbridge
17 James Ryall- Right Wing Back- Graigue-Ballycallan
18 Richie Mullally- Midfield- Glenmore
19 Eoin Reid Left Corner Forward Ballyhale Shamrocks
20 John Dalton Centre Back Carrickshock
21 P.J. Delaney Centre back Fenians
22 Michael Fennelly Midfield Ballyhale Shamrocks
23 Michael Rice Left Wing Forward Carrickshock
24 Eoin McCormack Right Corner Forward James Stephens
25 Richie Power Right Wing Forward Carrickshock
26 Peter Cleere Midfield Blacks and Whites
27 Donnacha Cody Left Corner Back James Stephens
28 T.J. Reid Left Corner Forward Ballyhale Shamrocks
29 Michael Murphy Left Corner Forward Mullinavat
30 John Tennyson Centre Back Carrickshock

no wonder they near murder each other in the training matches.
Pull hard and early

orangeman

Quote from: youngfella on August 19, 2008, 10:07:45 PM
Its frightening to think but the non starting 15 of KK are:

James McGarry-Goalkeeper- Bennettsbridge
17 James Ryall- Right Wing Back- Graigue-Ballycallan
18 Richie Mullally- Midfield- Glenmore
19 Eoin Reid Left Corner Forward Ballyhale Shamrocks
20 John Dalton Centre Back Carrickshock
21 P.J. Delaney Centre back Fenians
22 Michael Fennelly Midfield Ballyhale Shamrocks
23 Michael Rice Left Wing Forward Carrickshock
24 Eoin McCormack Right Corner Forward James Stephens
25 Richie Power Right Wing Forward Carrickshock
26 Peter Cleere Midfield Blacks and Whites
27 Donnacha Cody Left Corner Back James Stephens
28 T.J. Reid Left Corner Forward Ballyhale Shamrocks
29 Michael Murphy Left Corner Forward Mullinavat
30 John Tennyson Centre Back Carrickshock

no wonder they near murder each other in the training matches.

Ryall was ever preset in a lot of campaigns - can't get a look in now - the rest of the subs are frightening !

AZOffaly

John Tennyson! Wasn't he hurler of the year, or at least an All Star in the last year or two?

Bacon

Very hard to call these things before the final. An excellent display in the final often seems to count for more than 3 excellent displays on the way to the final (or an excellent display in the Munster final).
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

orangeman

The mundter final is but a distant memory in come August and September.

Tipp won't be getting many gong this year based on the Munster final.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on August 20, 2008, 03:59:28 PM
The mundter final is but a distant memory in come August and September.

Tipp won't be getting many gong this year based on the Munster final.

The Munster final is a distant memory but apparently according to some, the League isn't.
Ye can't have it both ways. Come on. First yere saying players, ie Canning and KK players, should get All Stars based on the League, but now the Munster final is a distant memory and shouldn't count.

So here we are again rewarding players for one good game.

This will probably be the typical attitude of the GAA

....Sure the eh..KK players (lets say they win the 3 in a row, which I don't think they will but anyway..) played 2 good games, lets give all 15 of them All Stars, the players who played outstanding in Munster and thew qualifiers..eh forget them, that was ages ago, and plus, KK will get more media coverage. The headlines will look better if we give as many All Stars to them as we can. Forget about the Munster teams efforts it's only Munster and that was ages ago, it doesn't matter how hard it was, KK won the AI. It doesn't matter how little work they have to do to get there compared to the Munster teams, they won it and that's all that matters. 

I can hear it now.

AZOffaly

Also Reillers, there is the small matter that they are better than their Munster counterparts, which is probably the most pertinent issue.

Reillers

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2008, 06:56:24 PM
Also Reillers, there is the small matter that they are better than their Munster counterparts, which is probably the most pertinent issue.

And they get that from one match. Come on. If, like lets say a Cork player like Ben who's had a fantastic season might get pipped by a KK player who in total, so far, has played one good game.

And also, some are saying that players should get an All Star for League form, and now people are turning around saying that Munster shouldn't count cause basically it was ages ago, which one is it.

AZOffaly

Well I never said the Munster Championship shouldn't count. For example I'd be giving Conor O'Mahony and Shane McGrath an All Star based largely on their League and Munster form, even though both played well against Waterford.

Have you forgotten what Kilkenny did to Cork? It's a ludicrous argument to say that because they are better than everyone else, they don't deserve All Stars because they haven't been tested. They've been tested as well as Wexford, Offaly or Cork were able to test them. The very fact that they strolled past each of those tests proves that they are better players, and a better team, than anyone they've played.

youngfella

Pull hard and early