The Official Olympics Thread (with the consent of the Chinese Gov.)

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, August 05, 2008, 11:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

11-1, though I think Blanco might have had 2 more points but its irrelivent. c'mon the Irish. We cant run, throw or jump but we can box with the best of them.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossie11

Great stuff..
When a man can fight he dont need to be able to run!!!!

Hardy

Superb performance. Hammered the world Number two 11-1. The boxers really have shown the rest of Irish sport how to go about things.

RMDrive

Fair play to him. Great display. Watch out China (medals table)!!

Main Street

Blanco was out of it on his stool after the 3rd round.
Brilliant display by Sutherland, he made Blanco look very ordinary.

The Real Laoislad

Some amount of landed punches don't get a score..
Great to see another medal though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2008, 01:27:06 PM
Superb performance. Hammered the world Number two 11-1. The boxers really have shown the rest of Irish sport how to go about things.

I'm afraid it just reinforces the stereotype. Maybe they should make drinking and shagging olympic sports as well!

Don't Panic

Mentalman

Another great performance. He really really hurt him, Blanco just wanted that final round over without being counted out, he hads nothing left.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: passedit on August 20, 2008, 01:34:29 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2008, 01:27:06 PM

I'm afraid it just reinforces the stereotype. Maybe they should make drinking and shagging olympic sports as well!

Sure why not, they already have windsurfing and BMXing FFS.  ::)

Fantastic display by Darren Sutherland - well done.
Tbc....

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2008, 01:35:46 PM
Ah passedit!.

;D

Paddy is a moron. Spud thick Mick.
Breeds like a rabbit. Thinks with his p***k.
Anything floors him if he can't fight or drink it.
Round them up in Ulster. Tow it out and sink it.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=k18kHNUw0b8
Don't Panic

its me again

Ireland can mix it with the best at boxing and almost always win olympic medals

why can this formula for success not be used for other olympic sports

surely if money was invested and training methods changed we would be able to change in track and field events?

Boxing is on the up because of successes like these, if we challenged for medals in other areas it would no doubt increase the profile  of these sports aswell????

Mentalman

Quote from: its me again on August 20, 2008, 01:50:43 PM
Ireland can mix it with the best at boxing and almost always win olympic medals

why can this formula for success not be used for other olympic sports

surely if money was invested and training methods changed we would be able to change in track and field events?

Boxing is on the up because of successes like these, if we challenged for medals in other areas it would no doubt increase the profile  of these sports aswell????

I think we have to be realistic about track and field, over the shorter distance we are at a disadvantage, not least genetically.

However we could be smarter in which sports we invest, similar our nearest neigbours or the Chinese, who are winning a lot of medals in women's events, or events where all out explosive speed are not necessary. We also need to get multiple competitiors into events, we've had too many injury knocks to athletes who carried our hopes, or people having off days. There wouldn't be as many off days if competitors had direct competition, or at least someone to share the burden. Of course, as usual, this should have been done 4 years ago, with the target being London in 2012, after all it's on our doorstep so travel/upkeep costs should not be high etc.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

An Fear Rua

A lot of the brits success has been achieved with the aid of national lottery funding, and an annual "salary" to train/prepare. Do Irish athletes have the same advantages?
Its Grim up North