The Official Olympics Thread (with the consent of the Chinese Gov.)

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, August 05, 2008, 11:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Only 3 days to go.......... anyone getting excited?

Didn't think so.

Just heard the official Irish olympic song - "Green to Gold" sung by our own Maire Brennan (Clannad).
It's actually quite a good song.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wCK6S-5Vulw

Hope the link works.

Come on Ireland win some medals this time.  ;)
Tbc....

nifan

Not really fussed on much of the olympics - will probably tune in for some of the football - some decent enough teams there - if im about.

Personally find athletics pretty boring to watch - obviously you have to respect the dedication etc of sprinters etc, but I just dont get it.

I will however be looking out for the paralympics - I know a girl doing the javelin so will be supporting her.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on August 05, 2008, 11:16:27 AM
Not really fussed on much of the olympics - will probably tune in for some of the football - some decent enough teams there - if im about.

Personally find athletics pretty boring to watch - obviously you have to respect the dedication etc of sprinters etc, but I just dont get it.

I will however be looking out for the paralympics - I know a girl doing the javelin so will be supporting her.

In fairness nifan, I do actually like the track and field (and most of the rest I suppose  ;)) what sort of times are the events likely to be on here?
Tbc....

Tony Baloney

I actually love it - almost every event is worth watching and have been hooked since seeing Carl Lewis do his thing in 1984. Anyone who has seen my athletic physique will understand  :o The time difference is a pain as I'll only get the roundup when I get home from work.

rosnarun

Its very tempting to just bury your head in the sand and just watch it for what it is and worry about the drugs and human rights later.

I love getting into the odd events you never bother with  besides like the canoeing , track cycling( big cheer)or Mayo's David O'loughlin) the T&F gymnastics swimming ect I could get really excited about it BUT

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

TacadoirArdMhacha

Off for a couple of weeks during it so will definately watch bits of it each day. Would be mostly interested int he football, boxing and athletics. Hope Messi gets the go ahead from the Court of Arbitration for Sport to play.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Puckoon

Used to watch it for the boxing, when our own noel monteith was competing, have not followed the olympics in years.

the milkman

I personally cant wait for it start, i get a lot of stick for saying this but for me I get more enjoyment from the Olympics than i do from the world cup.

Really looking forward to Powell, Bolt and Gay in 100m. should be a classic.

fred the red

Quote from: the milkman on August 05, 2008, 10:20:22 PM
I personally cant wait for it start, i get a lot of stick for saying this but for me I get more enjoyment from the Olympics than i do from the world cup.

Really looking forward to Powell, Bolt and Gay in 100m. should be a classic.

Gay is right  ::)

Hurler on the Bitch

Watched it in 96 and remember being thrilled by Michelle Smith - what a farce that was! So feel a bit cheeted and indifferent since.... Hope one of the boxers can get a good run and win a medal ... ps - is it a late night thing or early morning if you want to watch live?

JimStynes

I cant wait to see this fella bolt. Theres talk of him winning gold in the 100m and 200m. Hes only 21 aswell, so he isnt meant to peak until London 2012. And it would be great to see phelps breaking the record in the swimming.

Also cant wait to see Yelana Isinbayeva the russian pole vaulter, she is sexy as f**k

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on August 05, 2008, 10:44:44 PM
Watched it in 96 and remember being thrilled by Michelle Smith - what a farce that was! So feel a bit cheeted and indifferent since.... Hope one of the boxers can get a good run and win a medal ... ps - is it a late night thing or early morning if you want to watch live?

Michelle Smith never tested positive for drugs in Atlanta '96 and she still has her medals...
As for the boxers,I predict a riot ;) in Mullingar bigger than the one the other day if John Joe Nevin wins Gold
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Yes I Would

Alot of the sports have lost serious credibility and unfortuantely i dont have as much interest as i would have had in previous years.

Il still probably tune in for the ladies gymnastics though.  Think Beijings about 7 hours ahead.

The Real Laoislad

Any Beach Volleyball?

I love the velodrome cycling,Haven't much time for the track and field events though
You'll Never Walk Alone.