3G iPhone

Started by mournerambler, July 30, 2008, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 20, 2010, 08:27:25 PM
Think only differences are the speed, recording video, voice dialling, compass and a few other trivial things.

Hmmm I would hold off for a week and see what comes up in Apple's event.

Personally the augmented reality stuff will really kick off this year, you need the inbuilt compass for it. We have already done lots of work round this of both the iphone and android; expecting to launch some serious applications this year. That's my tip  :)

tyssam5

Quote from: Puckoon on January 20, 2010, 05:17:02 PM
There is no insurance for the iphone on plans over here. Its simply not available.

Its more the fact that some greasy mexican f**ker has their hands on my emails, facebook, personal text messages, pictures of the wee puck and all that, plus I had to stand at a phone booth last night pumping quarters in to get bank of america to suspend my online banking!

Any idea how difficult it is to find a pay phone in 2010?!?

Skype. Also good for finding your phone in the house when it is mislaid. Also only 9cent/min to text home versus 25cents on AT&T.

offtheground

Need some advice, i'm heading foreign with my Iphone 3GS, and want to avoid a massive phone bill when i come home, but still want to use it as an Ipod. Got the following advice from a quick scout round the tinternet;
Turn-off data roaming, turn off fetch new data, turn-off auto-check for mail. I was thinking if i just left it in airplane mode, would this stop me incurring any charges??
Any other advice??

Archie Mitchell

All the things you mentioned will turn everything off, bar using your phone for texts and calls and not run up a big bill. If you turn it on airplane mode, it turns everything off, and will just be like an iPod. Don't think you can use the wifi with it on airplane mode.

omagh_gael

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 20, 2010, 06:07:27 PM
Is there much of an improvement in the new phone compared to the old one? My contract is up and i'm going for an upgrade. But o2 have advised that I might be better to wait til June before doing it? Any ideas?

I was in the same boat as yourself sarsfield, contract ran out this week. Phoned them up and registered with the o2 simplicity contract. £20 a month which includes 700 anytime/network minutes 1400 texts and unlimited data allowance (big difference as i was paying £42.50 basic before inc insurance). Its a rolling 30 day contract so when the new iphone 4g comes out in june you can go back to the 18 month contract with it or stay on simplicity.

thebigfella

Quote from: offtheground on January 21, 2010, 01:48:20 PM
Need some advice, i'm heading foreign with my Iphone 3GS, and want to avoid a massive phone bill when i come home, but still want to use it as an Ipod. Got the following advice from a quick scout round the tinternet;
Turn-off data roaming, turn off fetch new data, turn-off auto-check for mail. I was thinking if i just left it in airplane mode, would this stop me incurring any charges??
Any other advice??

Switch off data roaming and forget the rest as they won't work anyway, if you still want your text and phone phone functionality.

Dakota

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 20, 2010, 08:13:51 PM
Quote from: flantheman82 on January 20, 2010, 08:06:02 PM
Anyone tell me if I can watch any live tv on my iPhone?
And how do I go about doing this if at all possible?

Open Safari and go to http://iphone.tvcatchup.com

You need to register but it's free. Can watch most freeview channels. Can use over 3G and wifi.

I tried that but it didn't work, its only for people living in the United Kingdom

Puckoon

I bit the bullet and bought the 3GS last night. Definitely faster than my 3G, but I havnt yet used the camera/video which is pretty much the only difference.

I got a "tutorial" from the kid working in the store on why I should Jailbreak my phone (obviously he wasnt sanctioning this, but his was very evidently jailbroken). He must have had 10 pages of APPs, the most spectacular of which to me was his ability to watch whatever was on his tv at home, including his DVR, from his phone, via an app called sling box. I guess you need a piece of hardware attached to your tv, and then buy the app, but this was pretty cool.

I asked him about the new phone in august/july after Id bought mine (to remove his selling commission bias) and he kinda suggested that there isnt a whole lot they can do with it after this, apart from make it faster, more capacity, and continually improve the camera.

Incidentally - the news over here two days ago suggested that apples new unveiling next week is not iphone related, but rather a smaller faster computer?

Dakota

I have mine jailbroken,its the only way to go I reckon
I downloaded TOMTOM U.S satnav off the piratebay the other night and installed it without a bother..I think it would cost $80 to buy the TOMTOM app...

thebigfella

Quote from: Puckoon on January 21, 2010, 05:06:37 PM
I bit the bullet and bought the 3GS last night. Definitely faster than my 3G, but I havnt yet used the camera/video which is pretty much the only difference.

I got a "tutorial" from the kid working in the store on why I should Jailbreak my phone (obviously he wasnt sanctioning this, but his was very evidently jailbroken). He must have had 10 pages of APPs, the most spectacular of which to me was his ability to watch whatever was on his tv at home, including his DVR, from his phone, via an app called sling box. I guess you need a piece of hardware attached to your tv, and then buy the app, but this was pretty cool.

I asked him about the new phone in august/july after Id bought mine (to remove his selling commission bias) and he kinda suggested that there isnt a whole lot they can do with it after this, apart from make it faster, more capacity, and continually improve the camera.

Incidentally - the news over here two days ago suggested that apples new unveiling next week is not iphone related, but rather a smaller faster computer?

Front facing video camera for conferencing, mutli core processors, better battery life, OLED screens, possible radio tuner (I don't think this is likely ) .... Trust me there is lots more they can do.

Puckoon

The battery life would be a clinker.

ziggysego

Quote from: Puckoon on January 21, 2010, 05:49:23 PM
The battery life would be a clinker.

The iPhone 4 is rumoured to be coming this summer with a better charge life and second battery.
Testing Accessibility

Rois

Just bought my THIRD iphone 3G inside 10 months.  I guess I should insure this one.

ziggysego

Quote from: Rois on January 21, 2010, 08:28:33 PM
Just bought my THIRD iphone 3G inside 10 months.  I guess I should insure this one.

I hate to ask, but what are you doing to your iPhones? 3 in 10 months?  :o
Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Do the companies offer insurance over there for the iPhone? Non runner over here, even though other phones can have it.

Anyone else have mobileme from apple?

$100 a year and it gives you the ability to download your contacts, info, pictures and music onto the apple server, gives you the ability to shut off your phone and lock it in the event of it being stolen/lost, and the ability to track the device down using GPS.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/