3G iPhone

Started by mournerambler, July 30, 2008, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mournerambler

Got one of these last week & i have to say it is an impressive piece of kit, the only problem i have found to date is that it does not seem possible to send a 'business card'  from my contacts to someone else ???

Minder

My sister in law has an I Phone (on contract) but wants to sell it on ebay as she hates it, can some punter just stick their O2 sim in it and use it if she sells it?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lfdown2

mourne; no not possible to send business card, also not able to send pic msgs or forward txt other than that i love it and the new application feature is supperb can download almost anything!

minder; yeah they can be unlocked so she can sell it locked no problem.

ziggysego

Brother-in-law has one. He thinks it's a cracking phone. I've tried it a few times. Love it.

Sister doesn't think much of it though.

Probably just a boy's toy Minder.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Quote from: ziggysego on February 12, 2009, 11:48:23 AM
Brother-in-law has one. He thinks it's a cracking phone. I've tried it a few times. Love it.

Sister doesn't think much of it though.

Probably just a boy's toy Minder.

I am due an upgrade in July and wouldnt mind one, dunno if the good folks at 02 will give me a free upgrade to an IPhone, doubt it.

ziggysego

I'm moving to O2 next month, so I'm going to try and wing a free iPhone off them.
Testing Accessibility

thebigfella

You'll only get a free Iphone(8gig) if you sign up to a min 45 quid a month contract for 18 months, min 75 for the 16gig.

O2 are very strict on their discount policy on the Iphone - they don't offer them. When I upgraded they wouldn't offer me any discount even though i'd been a customer for years and spend a s*** load of money(i use teh phone on roaming and call international all the time). When I kicked off the offered me the same contract is was on free for 2 years and 3 upgrades to any other phone except the iphone within that 2 year period.

Personnally it's a great piece of kit - the apps and games are getting better all the time. As for the forwarding texts, you can already get an app to do that, so I wouldn't be surprised if thier is one forwarding business cards.

Minder

Quote from: thebigfella on February 12, 2009, 12:57:10 PM

You'll only get a free Iphone(8gig) if you sign up to a min 45 quid a month contract for 18 months, min 75 for the 16gig.

O2 are very strict on their discount policy on the Iphone - they don't offer them. When I upgraded they wouldn't offer me any discount even though i'd been a customer for years and spend a s*** load of money(i use teh phone on roaming and call international all the time). When I kicked off the offered me the same contract is was on free for 2 years and 3 upgrades to any other phone except the iphone within that 2 year period.

Personnally it's a great piece of kit - the apps and games are getting better all the time. As for the forwarding texts, you can already get an app to do that, so I wouldn't be surprised if thier is one forwarding business cards.

So i take it i could cancel in July, pay £99 for the 8GB I Phone and start a new contract?

nifan

The rumours of a new iphone coming out in the summer are starting, youd maybe want to hold back before making any decisions.

In saying that i have the 3g and i think its class.

thebigfella

Quote from: Minder on February 12, 2009, 01:20:45 PM

So i take it i could cancel in July, pay £99 for the 8GB I Phone and start a new contract?

If your an o2 customer they will still charge the upgrade fee and then you go onto an 18 month contract. Same as if you become a new O2 customer.

As for rumors of the new iphone - they'll offer a chance for people to upgrade within contract like they did with the 3g. Its like any apple product, you'll never buy it if you wait for each and every upgrade based on rumors. Personnally there would need to be major hardware charges for me to consider upgrading at the moment; remember lots of the features people want are all software upgrades - these will become available in firmware updates to whatever iphone you have.

nifan

bigfella, the ability to run background processes is to be a firmware update, but the current phone has limited cpu for this, the next version is *supposedly* improving on this.

Ill have a look see when the facts are released - like yourself i wont be upgrading simply to have the latest model which is no better.

lfdown2

do you know the name of the app, i searched sms/forward sms and no word of it,

cheers

thebigfella

Quote from: nifan on February 12, 2009, 01:39:14 PM
bigfella, the ability to run background processes is to be a firmware update, but the current phone has limited cpu for this, the next version is *supposedly* improving on this.

Ill have a look see when the facts are released - like yourself i wont be upgrading simply to have the latest model which is no better.

Yeah the rumors are apple are going to be manufacturing their own chips for future versions too. Was it transmetta they purchased? They also hired one of the top IBM microprocessor guys too(eventually). Apple traditionally upgrade their products around the same times year after year, so I would expect it but snow leopard is due for release this year too and I would expect them to be focusing on getting it out after all the critisim for the delays to leopard due to the iphone.

lfdown2  - not sure the name of it. I know there are loads but you require the iphone to be jailbroken for most of them. I did see one in the app store but knowing apple they could have removed it.

I think the running processes in the background will be quite nice, certainly opens up a lot more scope on the app front. Some of the things we are looking at developing are dependent on this update.

ONeill

Got that phone a week ago and love it. #

Yes, you can send and receive pics - there's a simple mms application for it and works well. You can also forward messages.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Is there some issue with "flash player" that it does not support it ergo you cannot access "all of the internet", im sure there is enough on the old interweb to keep you going.......