3G iPhone

Started by mournerambler, July 30, 2008, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatRambo

Quote from: bingobus on November 24, 2009, 10:53:13 AM
Has Vodafone announced anything yet? I see O2 are offering it free before christmas on certain tariffs, prob trying to hover up as many as possible before vodafone join the market.

Vodafone are entering market early 2010 but some people who pre-registered an interest are currented being offered iphones straight away. I received a call last thursday offering me one. They are doing it through an independant company for some reason?? I was told I'd get a call from this company within 5 working days.

The tarriffs are on Vodafone website but don't specifically say they for iphones

Phone is E199 on access 150 tarriff
E99 on access 300 tarriff

http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/current/pcaccessplus/

bingobus

Quote from: TheGreatRambo on November 24, 2009, 11:41:30 AM
Has Vodafone announced anything yet? I see O2 are offering it free before christmas on certain tariffs, prob trying to hover up as many as possible before vodafone join the market.

Vodafone are entering market early 2010 but some people who pre-registered an interest are currented being offered iphones straight away. I received a call last thursday offering me one. They are doing it through an independant company for some reason?? I was told I'd get a call from this company within 5 working days.

The tarriffs are on Vodafone website but don't specifically say they for iphones

I registered as well but heard nothing, I'd watch yourself! Did they take your bank details in that call  ;)

Candyman

The simplicity web bolt-on will work no problem but you WON'T have free wifi in hotspot areas, especially overseas.
Take the iphone on a business tariff, NO1 will beat it for value!!!  ;D

TheGreatRambo

Quote from: bingobus on November 24, 2009, 11:45:30 AM
Quote from: TheGreatRambo on November 24, 2009, 11:41:30 AM

I registered as well but heard nothing, I'd watch yourself! Did they take your bank details in that call  ;)

Ur as cynical as I am, it must be ur profession ;).

After I put the phone down I did start to smell a rat, and looked into it a bit. It all seems above board, I've come across it on several forums. Rest assured I'll not be parting with any of my hard earned til I get the answers I require...

I'm due for an upgrade and thought maybe that was the reason I'd got the call. Some on them Forums hadn't got a call either

Shrek

Quote from: screenexile on November 24, 2009, 10:48:19 AM
Quote from: Fender on November 24, 2009, 02:40:16 AM
Alright folks!!Looking abit of advice here. Thinking of getting the iphone 3GS 16GB, on P&G, iv ordered o2's new sim card which gives unlimited texts and internet if you top up £15 p/m, and was jus wondering

1) will the sim work on the iphone?
2) is 16gb enough?  (iv no desire for movies or video clips, it'll be mainly apps and music)
3) what the hell is jailbroken and is it worth it??

Cheers

1) Yes
2) I should think so I have 8gb and have quite a bit of music on it 16 should be plenty.
3) I haven't jailbroken my phone but it scares me as the iphone is a serious bit of equipment that could go wrong at any stage. If you jailbreak your phone you have no warranty. I'm not sure of the advantages of jailbreaking the phone but having read that article I'm definitely not going to risk it.

i have mine jailbroken and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

if you do encounter a problem, just restore it - Apple will have no way of know it was jailbroken.

As far as pros and cons go, As for me it is down the the changing of themes etc which i enjoy.

there are so many other possibilities also which cant be done on a unjailbroke phone.

i have mine unjailbroke atm (for a reason) but cant wait till i jailbreak it again.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Candyman on November 24, 2009, 11:48:26 AM
The simplicity web bolt-on will work no problem but you WON'T have free wifi in hotspot areas, especially overseas.
Take the iphone on a business tariff, NO1 will beat it for value!!!  ;D

What kind of tariff are you on with this, or what is the basic details that make it the best value?

I take it you don't actually have to be a business to avail of this?

Candyman

Unlimited o2 to o2 calls
Unlimited 10 landline numbers
Unlimited texts (any network)
Unlimited web & wifi
300 x-net mins

£36.11 +VAT
£41.53/month

12 month upgrade...  ;D

Stall the Bailer

I was wondering if anyone could list a few 3G alternatives to the iphone. Is there many other phones that have similar features to the iphone e.g. apps/wifi/touch screen etc

take_yer_points

Quote from: Shrek on November 24, 2009, 12:02:16 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 24, 2009, 10:48:19 AM
Quote from: Fender on November 24, 2009, 02:40:16 AM
Alright folks!!Looking abit of advice here. Thinking of getting the iphone 3GS 16GB, on P&G, iv ordered o2's new sim card which gives unlimited texts and internet if you top up £15 p/m, and was jus wondering

1) will the sim work on the iphone?
2) is 16gb enough?  (iv no desire for movies or video clips, it'll be mainly apps and music)
3) what the hell is jailbroken and is it worth it??

Cheers

1) Yes
2) I should think so I have 8gb and have quite a bit of music on it 16 should be plenty.
3) I haven't jailbroken my phone but it scares me as the iphone is a serious bit of equipment that could go wrong at any stage. If you jailbreak your phone you have no warranty. I'm not sure of the advantages of jailbreaking the phone but having read that article I'm definitely not going to risk it.

i have mine jailbroken and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

if you do encounter a problem, just restore it - Apple will have no way of know it was jailbroken.

As far as pros and cons go, As for me it is down the the changing of themes etc which i enjoy.

there are so many other possibilities also which cant be done on a unjailbroke phone.

i have mine unjailbroke atm (for a reason) but cant wait till i jailbreak it again.

Mine's jailbroken as well. The main things I prefer a jailbroken iphone over an ordinary one are:

1) Free apps (you download them as a torrent or from some other source and install them via iTunes) - some of the jailbroken apps I use are TomTom, WunderRadio and a number of games)

2) Changing the style of the display. You can change the theme, you can change the icons, you can add icons to the display bar at the top that shows the battery indicator, etc...

3) 3G unrestrictor. This is possibly the best reason to jailbreak in my opinion. For all those apps that only permit access via WiFi (BBC iPlayer, Skype, and best of all, Sky Sports) you can fool the iPhone into thinking its on wireless. So, basically as long as I have access to 3G or Edge I can watch Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, Extra, News, Sky News, At the Races and ESPN and any iPlayer content I want.

There are other reasons for jailbreaking but those are the key ones for me.

The Real Laoislad

So how do you jailbreak it?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

take_yer_points

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 24, 2009, 01:18:31 PM
So how do you jailbreak it?

It all depends on which firmware you're on, etc... The first thing I should say is that I wouldn't dream of jailbreaking it if its still under warranty.

I've posted a link below to a tutorial on how to jailbreak it using an application called redsn0w. You can also get video tutorials on YouTube that show you exactly what you need to do which are probably better than simple text ones.

Basically, here's a few high level steps to jailbreak a phone on the 3.0 software:

1) You get the genuine 3.0 version of the software (it should be stored on your computer if you updated using the same PC as you are using to jailbreak) and store it somewhere on your computer.

2) You download and application called redsn0w to your computer and use that to jailbreak the original version you have saved on your computer in step 1.

3) When jailbreaking with redsn0w, you select the option as you move through the steps to install "Cydia" on your iPhone. There is also an option to unlock but I decided not to do that.

4) Let redsn0w do the rest. It will install the new software. You will need to press a few buttons on the iphone as redsn0w installs the software but it tells you on the computer what to do.

You should be able to find out quite a bit online by using google and searching for "iphone jailbreak" and "iphone jailbreak redsn0w", etc...

Shrek

i jailbroke mine using Blackrain - very easy to do

as regards the warranty thingy - if something goes wrong with the phone, just restore it - Apple have no way of knowing it was jailbroke AFAIK.

it does come with its risks, but its worth it IMO.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Candyman on November 24, 2009, 12:41:12 PM
Unlimited o2 to o2 calls
Unlimited web & wifi
300 x-net mins

£36.11 +VAT
£41.53/month

12 month upgrade...  ;D

Is this a deal that is commonly available or have you had to haggle for it?  And whats the business craic about?

Candyman

Quote from: JohnDenver on November 24, 2009, 02:43:33 PM
Unlimited o2 to o2 calls
Unlimited web & wifi
300 x-net mins

£36.11 +VAT
£41.53/month

12 month upgrade...  ;D

Is this a deal that is commonly available or have you had to haggle for it?  And whats the business craic about?

Its a Candyman Special... PM  ;)

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Candyman on November 24, 2009, 02:52:00 PM
Quote from: JohnDenver on November 24, 2009, 02:43:33 PM
Unlimited o2 to o2 calls
Unlimited web & wifi
300 x-net mins

£36.11 +VAT
£41.53/month

12 month upgrade...  ;D

Its a Candyman Special... PM  ;)
How'd you go about that one?
My existing contract although no business is up in December but I may be able to get a business one.