3G iPhone

Started by mournerambler, July 30, 2008, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fender

Alright folks!!Looking abit of advice here. Thinking of getting the iphone 3GS 16GB, on P&G, iv ordered o2's new sim card which gives unlimited texts and internet if you top up £15 p/m, and was jus wondering

1) will the sim work on the iphone?
2) is 16gb enough?  (iv no desire for movies or video clips, it'll be mainly apps and music)
3) what the hell is jailbroken and is it worth it??

Cheers

JimStynes

Found one of these phones in a taxi. I have to admit i was very tempted to keep it for myself but done the right thing in the end and contacted the owner and give him the phone back. He give me $40 dollars for my good deed  :) However ive lost a couple of phones before and never got them back. What would you have done?

screenexile

Quote from: Fender on November 24, 2009, 02:40:16 AM
Alright folks!!Looking abit of advice here. Thinking of getting the iphone 3GS 16GB, on P&G, iv ordered o2's new sim card which gives unlimited texts and internet if you top up £15 p/m, and was jus wondering

1) will the sim work on the iphone?
2) is 16gb enough?  (iv no desire for movies or video clips, it'll be mainly apps and music)
3) what the hell is jailbroken and is it worth it??

Cheers

1) Yes
2) I should think so I have 8gb and have quite a bit of music on it 16 should be plenty.
3) I haven't jailbroken my phone but it scares me as the iphone is a serious bit of equipment that could go wrong at any stage. If you jailbreak your phone you have no warranty. I'm not sure of the advantages of jailbreaking the phone but having read that article I'm definitely not going to risk it.

bingobus

Has Vodafone announced anything yet? I see O2 are offering it free before christmas on certain tariffs, prob trying to hover up as many as possible before vodafone join the market.

Minder

Quote from: bingobus on November 24, 2009, 10:53:13 AM
Has Vodafone announced anything yet? I see O2 are offering it free before christmas on certain tariffs, prob trying to hover up as many as possible before vodafone join the market.

They reckon Vodafone will join the party after Christmas, you have always been able to get it free on certain tariffs. Mine was free on the £44/mth (24 mth) contract. Is it now free on the £35 mth tariff?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bingobus

Quote from: Minder on November 24, 2009, 11:01:06 AM

They reckon Vodafone will join the party after Christmas, you have always been able to get it free on certain tariffs. Mine was free on the £44/mth (24 mth) contract. Is it now free on the £35 mth tariff?

Could us Mexicans get it free though?

thebandit

Vodafone have them from February/March in the south

screenexile

Quote from: Minder on November 24, 2009, 11:01:06 AM

I got an 8G 3G Iphone for free on the £35/month tariff. 24 months is a LONG time for one phone though!

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Candyman

O2 business tariffs in the north offer a 12 month upgrade!!  8)

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on November 24, 2009, 11:12:07 AM
Vodafone have them from February/March in the south

Was aware of that but thought they may have released details of tarriff/cost etc to try and sway people to hold off in the christmas market.

Archie Mitchell

Its only free if you get it on a long contract or have the highest tariff.

My contract won't be up to the summer, was thinking about changing over to the simplicity tariff as it's far cheaper and you can get a free web bolt on. I'm assuming this free web bolt on would cover the 3G like the iPhone contract offers you. 

Bensars

Can someone outline very briefly what all this jailbreaking is, the pros and cons ?

thebigfella

Quote from: ONeill on November 23, 2009, 11:28:44 PM
Malicious worm targets jail-broken iPhones

Users of jail-broken iPhones are being warned of yet another piece of malware after the discovery over the weekend of a worm with the ability to steal online banking credentials.

The new 'Duh' malware is likely to be based on the original Ikee worm which was spread a couple of weeks ago by a young hacker in Australia. Both target jail-broken iPhones with OpenSSH installed and the default password intact.

However, security experts have warned that its characteristics are much more malicious, and that hackers are likely to continue to propagate such malware if they can make money from it.

"It is much more serious than Ikee because it is not limited to infecting iPhone users in Australia, and communicates with an internet 'control and command' centre, downloading new instructions and effectively turning your iPhone into part of a botnet," said Sophos senior technology consultant Graham Cluley.

"Furthermore, it appears to be designed to steal information from users of online banking services."

Cluley's colleague at Sophos, Chester Wisniewski, added that the worm appears to be attacking IP ranges from a larger range of internet service providers. He recommended users to restore their phones to the Apple-supplied firmware, or think about choosing a different phone.

"If you want freedom of application choice, perhaps you should consider an Android-based phone rather than hacking your device into a potentially insecure state," he said in a blog post.

"This further demonstrates that iPhones are not ready for the business environment. Apple has made a great effort at preventing people from cracking into their software and unlocking/jail-breaking their devices, but where there is a will, there will always be a way."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16/20091123/ttc-malicious-worm-targets-jail-broken-i-6315470.html

I don't get this statement. How many businesses would allow or modify the Iphone OS, voiding the warranty in the process, hence introducing a security vulnerability? None I suspect.