3G iPhone

Started by mournerambler, July 30, 2008, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Would this not eat up your 1gb allowance?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on October 14, 2009, 10:57:24 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 14, 2009, 10:55:10 PM
Would this not eat up your 1gb allowance?
Do I have one?

What's the craic with the aul unlimited data?

Dunno
I don't have a iphone but thinking of getting one now that vodafone are going to be supplying them.
From what I read you get 1gb of data usage per month for free then pay for everything you use after that..?
I was just thinking streaming live TV would eat up your 1GB allowance,maybe its different with UK service providers
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Candyman

UK iPhones have unlimIted web & wifi... Lethal!!  ;D

Archie Mitchell

With an O2 iPhone contract, you get unlimited data. All within acceptable use policy off course. So don't think you would get away with watching that TV link all the time. Not sure how they measure the data usage though. If Vodafone are starting to offer the iPhone, they will have to equal or better O2's tariffs and the whole point of the iPhone is the Internet and using it on the move, so can't see providers restricting your Internet usage, as that's why you bought it in the first place.

screenexile

Can u use the tv link through just a phone connection? Anytime I try and watch streaming video it tells me a wifi connection is needed which is fair enough. I can view all internet sites and facebook on the move though which is all I really need.

Bainisteoir

Anyone on here interested in buying a brand new one of these. O2 gave me an upgrade and i got the iphone 3gs 16gb in black,i have the 3g and want to sell the 3GS. Let me know if any of you are interested!!

lfdown2

Quote from: Bainisteoir on November 09, 2009, 05:22:37 PM
Anyone on here interested in buying a brand new one of these. O2 gave me an upgrade and i got the iphone 3gs 16gb in black,i have the 3g and want to sell the 3GS. Let me know if any of you are interested!!

sent you pm there

The Real Laoislad

Getting my iphone in the post tomorrow!!  :)
Went for the 700min and loads of texts not sure how many €100/month tariff
Got the iphone for free as a result
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Caid

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 09, 2009, 07:06:37 PM

EUR100 a month is a lot is it not?
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Minder

Orange and Phones4U are selling IPhone from tomorrow. Orange tariffs seem to be identical to the O2 tariffs.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Caid on November 09, 2009, 07:12:57 PM

My bill is usually around €120-€140/month that was on a 600min €100 tariff with Vodafone so I always went over my 600 mins
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 09, 2009, 07:14:38 PM

My bill is usually around €120-€140/month that was on a 600min €100 tariff with Vodafone so I always went over my 600 mins

My tariff is 1200 mins & 500 txts for £44 mth with Iphone 3GS.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on November 09, 2009, 07:17:11 PM

Yeah but I don't live in the UK....  :o  ;)
Thats the best O2.ie had on offer,looks like us Mexicans are being ripped off once again
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 09, 2009, 07:18:31 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 09, 2009, 07:17:11 PM

Yeah but I don't live in the UK....  :o  ;)
Thats the best O2.ie had on offer,looks like us Mexicans are being ripped off once again

Looks like it squire.

gerry

Worm attack bites at Apple iPhone

The worm changes the wallpaper of the phone

The first worm to infect the Apple iPhone has been discovered spreading "in the wild" in Australia.

The self-propagating program changes the phone's wallpaper to a picture of 80s singer Rick Astley with the message "ikee is never going to give you up".

The worm, known as ikee, only affects "jail-broken" phones, where a user has removed Apple's protection mechanisms to allow the phone to run any software.

Experts say the worm is not harmful but more malicious variants could follow.

"The creator of the worm has released full source code of the four existing variants of this worm," wrote Mikko Hypponen of security firm F-secure.

"This means that there will quickly be more variants, and they might have nastier payload than just changing your wallpaper."

The picture of Rick Astley is believed to be a nod to the internet phenomenon known as Rickrolling, where web users are tricked into clicking on what they believe is a relevant link, only to find that it actually takes the user to a video of the pop star's song "Never gonna give you up".

'Stupid people'

The worm has so far only been found circulating in Australia, where the hacker - Ashley Towns - who wrote the program lives.

The 21-year-old told Australia's ABC News Online that he created the virus to raise the issue of security.

It only exploits jail-broken phones that have SSH installed, a program that enables other devices to connect to the phone and modify the system and files.

My prediction is that we may see more attacks like this in the future
Graham Cluley

The worm is able to infect phones if their owners have not changed the default password after installing SSH.

"What's clear is that if you have jail-broken your iPhone or iPod Touch, and installed SSH, then you must always change your root user password to something different than the default, 'alpine'," wrote Graham Cluley of security firm Sophos.

"In fact, it would be a good idea if you didn't use a dictionary word at all."

After a phone becomes infected it disables the SSH service, preventing reinfection.

The code contains numerous comments from Mr Towns about his motivation.

iPhone
Jail breaking allows a user to run non-Apple approved software

One comment reads: "People are stupid and this is to prove it."

"It's not that hard guys. But hey who cares its only your bank details at stake."

The worm can be removed by changing the phone's password and deleting some files.

Some estimates suggest that up to 10% of all iPhones and iPod Touch are jail-broken.

The practice allows a phone user to install software and applications that have not been approved by Apple.

"Phone users may rush into jail-breaking their iPhones in order to add functionality that Apple may have denied to them, but if they do so carelessly they may also risk their iPhone becoming the target of a hacker," said Mr Cluley.

"My prediction is that we may see more attacks like this in the future.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,