Milk Cup - marred by sectarianism Dub teams called Fenian b.astards

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, July 29, 2008, 12:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Oh dear, Longshanks decides to imitate taig from Coleraine shock :o

It seems that there are more than David Healy who can impersonate others

nifan

Tony - do you believe that there are no catholics in coleraine?

Solomon Kane

Quote from: T Fearon on July 30, 2008, 03:29:31 PM
Derry were forced to withdraw in the early 70s after an opposing team's supporters bus was burnt at the Brandywell (can't remember if it was Ballymena or Linfield/IFA). OK you might say, an act of sectarianism but the fact is that Derry supporters were abused at every away ground they went to and not a thing was done against the perpetrators. Similarly with Belfast Celtic's enforced withdrawal in the late 1940s, when they could not guarantee the safety of their own players after the centre forward has his leg broken on the pitch by Linfield/IFA supporters in an attack incited by a loudspeaker announcement from the Linfield/IFA secretary. Also Linfield/IFA's sectarianism was accommodated to the extent that Cliftonville had to play their "home" games against Linfield/IFA at Windsor Park, thus Linfield/IFA were actually rewarded for having sectarian fans.

I'll give you an example. I went by train to the IFA Cup Final in 1972 between Portadown and Coleraine. While passing the Kilwilkie estate on the way to the game, Portadown bigots showered bottles dwon from the train. Not surprisingly this provoked a reaction from the residents who awaited the train's return journey. However it was portrayed in the media as a random sectarian attack on Portadown supporters and the fact that they themselves provoked it was swept aside. I witnessed this with my own eyes.

It was a Ballymena bus some DC fans burnt. Imagine travelling fans gatting abuse shouted at them by home fans. Shocking. I'm sure that doesn't happen anywhere else in the world. Not at the big grudge matches such as Villa/Birmingham , ManU/Man City or Arsenal/Man U. Most fans are big boys and girls and can live with it.

nifan

SK, thtas all well and good, but there is rivalry and there is disgusting abuse that is not acceptable.
The DC fans where certainly on the receiving end of some of the latter.

Evil Genius

Quote from: nifan on July 30, 2008, 05:36:43 PM
SK, thtas all well and good, but there is rivalry and there is disgusting abuse that is not acceptable.
The DC fans where certainly on the receiving end of some of the latter.

I'm sure all sorts of things went on, but without ever brushing them under the carpet, the fact is they were decades ago. Much has changed since - and for the better.

No doubt the Derry City youngsters in the NI and Co.Londonderry teams happily playing in the Milk Cup this week are too young to remember any of it, anyhow
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nifan

Of course EG, i just think that SK's comment may have come off unintentionally offhand.

Most DC fans I know very much look forward to games with the like of Linfield and Glentoran. probably a different proposition than all those years ago.

Rossfan

Quote from: iluvni on July 30, 2008, 04:29:49 PM

Could Mr Fearon point out to me GAA competitions  in which young Protestants and Roman Catholics from Northern Ireland represent their county teams in similar numbers?
Check the hurling thread re the East Belfast team - Cuchalainns.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 30, 2008, 04:22:38 PM
Brian Kerr favourably contrasted soccer's efforts in countering Racism etc, with that of the GAA (much less favourable, according to Kerr)

What does that eejit know about the GAA?
He was here in Ros at a Soccer function a few years ago slating the GAA too. It didnt go down too well with most of the audience.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stew

Football For All takes another hammering, the Milk Cup has now been hijacked by loyalist scumbags and the sad fact is that these inbred knackers that did the damage here have tainted the reputation for the Milk Cup, which had a decent reputation on both sides of the political divide in the north and that is a shame.

It is no wonder that some people think that nothing has changed with football in the north with this sort of carry on.

Finally, I dont think there will ever be the day when people from both sides of the community will be able to play nice without some gypsy ruining everything for everybody.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Evil Genius

Quote from: stew on July 30, 2008, 06:17:03 PM
Football For All takes another hammering, the Milk Cup has now been hijacked by loyalist scumbags and the sad fact is that these inbred knackers that did the damage here have tainted the reputation for the Milk Cup, which had a decent reputation on both sides of the political divide in the north and that is a shame.
Utter tosh! A few scumbags abused some visitors to their town at their hotel, footballers as it happens, on the basis of their religion/where they come from. But without in the least wishing to downplay the effect this may have had on the victims, or in any way excuse the perpetrators, 99% of the players, officials and spectators at the tournament itself won't have been in the least bit affected. Indeed, many won't even be aware. Quite simply, the tournament will go on as before, including with Crumlin Utd., who simply moved to another hotel.
It is no wonder that some people think that nothing has changed with football in the north with this sort of carry on.
It is no wonder, but only so long as people like you so utterly lack perspective in appraising what really goes on outside your own little bubble. "The north", as you qualntly put it, is changing, and changing for the better. As is football in NI. The fact that so many teams from ROI attend each year and keep coming back, is proof of that. That they get to play against entirely mixed teams from all parts of NI is one of the great benefits of this Cup, as well as against future world football stars from places as far apart as Brazil, USA, NZ, Israel and South Africa.
Finally, I dont think there will ever be the day when people from both sides of the community will be able to play nice without some gypsy ruining everything for everybody.
More tosh. People from both sides of the community are already playing entirely harmoniously with and against each other every single day of the week in NI, without a "gypsy"* in sight.

http://www.nimilkcup.org/?tabindex=1&tabid=548
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/milkcup/

* - Nice racial epithet, btw.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

The Milk Cup is a wonderful wee tournament in which young players from all sections of the community in NI compete side by side for their county teams.
Could Mr Fearon point out to me GAA competitions  in which young Protestants and Roman Catholics from Northern Ireland represent their county teams in similar numbers?
If you mingled enough with Gaels you would know that they play both Gaelic and Soccer.
Gaels are proficient at playing the game of soccer.
Gaels have no problem with playing soccer.
It would appear that most young Protestants have not even been introduced to Gaelic games in school.
In my experience when the basic skills of the game are not taught during the early to mid teens most youngsters will be little more than useless even if they wanted to play the game at a later age.

It would appear that not one of the OWC contingent that come on here have a clue about the game.
It would also appear that Gaelic Games are generally looked upon by the OWC as a bog sport played by bigots.

Did even the Culture Minister (for some of the people) attend the Ulster Final?  if not, another example of crass institutionalised ignorance.

iluvni

Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2008, 05:59:45 PM

Check the hurling thread re the East Belfast team - Cuchalainns.

Interesting stuff. Small steps but  its certainly a  move in the right direction.

nifan

Main street,

I agree with you about the number of catholics who play soccer vs the number of prods who play gaelic.
There is no was any county would have a proportional number of good prod kids as catholics. I hope there would be a few.

Reasons for the number have many reasons, including pehaps legitimate problems within the gaa, but also undoubtably the stigma within parts of the unionist community towards it - GAA is seen as catholic so a kid in many areas would not be able to wear a gaa shirt.

Sectarian headcounts never give a sufficient answer - and people who slag off the gaa, or ni fans should consider the array of reasons, there is no one point of blame.

QuoteIt would also appear that Gaelic Games are generally looked upon by the OWC as a bog sport played by bigots.
Anyone who thinks all gaa players or fans are bigots are every bit as bad as we claim for the likes of fearon. The whol attitude of profiling people onsporting preference, team selection etc is just pathetic.

Has the culture minister attended NI games? Ive never seen him or heard of him being there?

It would appear that not one of the OWC contingent that come on here have a clue about the game.

What would constitute having a clue about the game?

nifan

The milk cup has not been hijacked. It happened to a group in town for the milk cup.
The milk cup and what it stands for has been as attacked as well by these scumbags.

Chrisowc

Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2008, 09:03:21 PM
The milk has turned sour alright. Probably no point crying over spilled milk. Fearon is milking it.

You don't paint a pretty picture :o
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!