Kerry v Monaghan part 2

Started by Kerry Mike, July 27, 2008, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 28, 2008, 11:02:04 PM
QuoteWho mentioned 'big deal'?

He (ExiledGael) said it would be a "national talking point" and the "scandal of the year"

..I'd call that making a big deal of it wouldn't you ?
Clearly not! See ExiledGael's clarification.

Main Street

It was even clarified in EG's original post.
"maybe it's the rest of us with the problem"

Mike doesn't read in the same way other people read, it's something to do with emotional maturity.
When do they do reading and comprehension in school these days?

Back to the game.
Kerry at 1/4 are hot favourites according to a bookie, with Monagahan@ 7/2 
It would be ignominious for a 1/4 favourite, the champions of Ireland, to win by less than 10 points against the 4th ranked team in Ulster.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Main Street on July 29, 2008, 10:16:15 AM
It was even clarified in EG's original post.

Jesus lads nealy spilled hot coffee all over meself for a second there i thought evil genius was talking about the kerry monaghan game :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Roy

Take 1 stuttering Kerry team whose @@@@s are being questioned
Take 1 Monaghan team with momentum and agression
This is fascinating.  You have to tip Kerry simply because Monaghan in their history have never beaten a team as good as Kerry.  If Kerry can take this Monaghan team then they are a 3 in a row team. Similarly if Monaghan win this I believe they are good enough to win Sam.   

GrandMasterFlash

I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic here but if if if Monaghan did beat Kerry they'd have as tough of games ahead with Armagh or Dublin.. I think it's a huge ovesight to even suggest that we are SAM contenders with succees on Sunday.. Enough of that oul chat already, one game at a time please!!!

Mid Mon

Bring it on! this is a dream draw for us. If you cant beat the big teams in the qualifers your not gonna beat them in the quaters or semis. Can't wait for Sunday to come to let tommy hanners and co loose,

donelli

Would rather have got an easier draw this weekend.

1st round...beat the national league champions 2008
2nd round...beat the national league champions 2007
3rd round.... Play the All-Ireland champions 2006-2007

and even if we win, we'll still only be in the quarter finals  :o

Full credit to the team for giving us another summer. Just a pity we couldnt have got an 'easier' test for the 3rd round to get us into the quarters....

Maguire01

Bring on the big guns i say!

Kildare are in round 3, yet they've lost to Wicklow and narrowly beat Cavan and Limerick. I don't think Monaghan would be happy with that, or would call it a successful season. Better to go out a stage earlier but to have beaten decent opposition.

farniel

Banty has described it as the 'draw from hell' A wee bit of reverse psychology maybe??!

On a different note all the Dubs that I work with are saying that if Monaghan beat Kerry then it's their All Ireland. Talk about counting their chickens...

Mid Mon

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Mid Mon on July 29, 2008, 11:43:42 AM
Bring it on! this is a dream draw for us. If you cant beat the big teams in the qualifers your not gonna beat them in the quaters or semis. Can't wait for Sunday to come to let tommy hanners and co loose,

I think I point is being missed here. I'm not saying we can't beat Kerry on Sunda, I reckon we've a good chance in fact! What I am saying is lets keep the focus for this Sunda and this Sunda alone and not be chattin about winning Sam etc. etc.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWhen do they do reading and comprehension in school these days?

junior infants I think.....or, in your case, when you were 23 years old

QuoteIt would be ignominious for a 1/4 favourite, the champions of Ireland, to win by less than 10 points against the 4th ranked team in Ulster.

No, what would be ignominious would be for Monaghan to come up short again after all ye're brave talk last year and again this year.

Kerry Mike

KERRY v MONAGHAN

They meet for the second successive year, having clashed in last year's All-Ireland quarter-final which Kerry won by a point after a great contest in Croke Park. Monaghan dominated for long periods but Kerry finished in style to edge to victory on a day when their top scorers were Mike Frank Russell (0-4), Colm Cooper (0-3) and Declan O'Sullivan (1-0). Tommy Freeman landed 1-3 for Monaghan while Rory Woods scored 0-3. Kerry, who are hoping to stay in line for the All-Ireland treble, haven't had a game since losing the Munster final to Cork on July 6 while Monaghan have had two tough qualifier ties over the last two weekends, beating Derry and Donegal by a point each.

Next Sunday's tie will be the sixth championship meeting between Kerry and Monaghan with Kerry having won four and drawn one of the previous five. The full list of previous meetings is as follows:
2007: Kerry 1-12 Monaghan 1-11 (2007 All-Ireland quarter-final
1985: Kerry 2-9 Monaghan 0-10 (All-Ireland semi-final replay)
1985: Kerry 1-12 Monaghan 2-9 (All-Ireland semi-final)
1979: Kerry 5-14 Monaghan 0-7 (All-Ireland semi-final)
1930: Kerry 3-11 Monaghan 0-2 (All-Ireland final)

Kerry have qualified for every All-Ireland quarter-final since the introduction of the new championship system in 2001 while Monaghan qualified for their first quarter-final last year. Kerry have also never lost a qualifier game since their introduction.

Last Championship clash: Kerry 1-12 Monaghan 1-11 (2007 All-Ireland quarter-final)
2008 Provincial Championships: Kerry 1-14 Clare 0-5; Cork 1-16 Kerry 1-11; Fermanagh 2-8 Monaghan 0-10.
2008 Qualifiers: Monaghan 1-13 Derry 1-12; Monaghan 0-16 Donegal 0-15.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 29, 2008, 08:24:14 PM

1930: Kerry 3-11 Monaghan 0-2 (All-Ireland final)

The men of 1930 have bided their time.

magpie seanie

Get a feeling that Monaghan are not quite at last years level and therefore Kerry will get away with being slightly off their best too. There's no doubt they are vulnerable though. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.