Cill Dara v Fear Manach

Started by Dinny Breen, July 27, 2008, 07:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 03, 2008, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 03, 2008, 04:27:58 PM
The difference last time though was in O'Neill, McGuigan, Canavan, Mulligan you had good forwards which you don't have this year...and we also had a more limited forward line...

Yeah, yeah... just keep telling yourself whatever you have to, to keep the bandwagon rolling at full pelt. No worries  ;)

Well when you get beaten without too much difficulty by a team as poor as Down you are bound to be grateful to even get this far!!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 03, 2008, 04:35:03 PM
Well when you get beaten without too much difficulty by a team as poor as Down you are bound to be grateful to even get this far!!!

We're still there, nach ea? Or do you want to bring NFL results into it as well? Do your blowing and bumming when you've survived next week and not a weak Leinster Championship.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

To be the best, you have to beat the best. Now even though all Dublin have beaten so far are leinster teams - they are undoubtedly the best. No sense worrying about someone else taking care of them for you. Id love to play them. As you've said DUBSFORSAM1 we have a poor team, and are very grateful to have gotten this far. Sure we are on a free roll from here on in. Id expect you to beat us with a cricket score. I hope Pillar is praying to draw this bad tyrone team.

INDIANA

i'm a dublin sceptic as everyone knows but unless mulligan and mulgrew return, tyrone can forget about it. they have no focal point up front like armagh,dublin or kerry and thats the bottom line.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Puckoon on August 03, 2008, 04:38:18 PM
To be the best, you have to beat the best. Now even though all Dublin have beaten so far are leinster teams - they are undoubtedly the best. No sense worrying about someone else taking care of them for you. Id love to play them. As you've said DUBSFORSAM1 we have a poor team, and are very grateful to have gotten this far. Sure we are on a free roll from here on in. Id expect you to beat us with a cricket score. I hope Pillar is praying to draw this bad tyrone team.

Yes these poor Leinster teams who are so bad and yet we have 3 in the last 8 after the Ulster runner ups got totally outplayed by a first round loser in Leinster and the team that knocked Tyrone out of Ulster got easily beaten as well by another Leinster team....

Jinxy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 03, 2008, 03:56:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2008, 03:54:15 PM
If I was Pillar Caffrey I'd be praying for Tyrone. The Dubs would be up for it big-time. Midfield domination is the key for teams who want to progress past the quarter-finals and there isn't an Ulster team left with a combination that would break even with Whelan and Ryan. Cork would also mince Tyrone around the middle.

Colm O'Rourke?  ;)

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2008, 03:54:15 PM
Midfield domination is the key for teams who want to progress past the quarter-finals...

No offence, but bollocks. We've never actually dominated midfield, never, that's not how we won anything. So I'll take our chances now, with Cavanagh as an option in the middle.

Ok maybe not domination but you would have to at least break even. You don't have the forwards anymore to convert a high % of chances from low levels of possession.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Puckoon

Ulster had 5 in the last 8 in 06 (maybe 04 - im not going to check) and finished with no silverware. You'd need to win something this year to make it worth anything. By the way - if monaghan beat kerry Ulster will have 3 in the last 8 also... so what?

Puckoon

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2008, 05:01:04 PM

Ok maybe not domination but you would have to at least break even. You don't have the forwards anymore to convert a high % of chances from low levels of possession.

I dont think that we have low levels of possession - we never did. We always generally won possession stakes - although not necessarily through traditional dominace of numbers 8-9. In the few years we won alot of silverware, we generally shaded games in the field sector governed by numbers 5-12.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2008, 04:40:39 PM
i'm a dublin sceptic as everyone knows but unless mulligan and mulgrew return, tyrone can forget about it. they have no focal point up front like armagh,dublin or kerry and thats the bottom line.

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 03, 2008, 04:50:12 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 03, 2008, 04:38:18 PM

Yes these poor Leinster teams who are so bad and yet we have 3 in the last 8 after the Ulster runner ups got totally outplayed by a first round loser in Leinster and the team that knocked Tyrone out of Ulster got easily beaten as well by another Leinster team....

Yadda yadda, bring it on lads, I love it when you jackeens get uppity about your brilliance, ye even have Meath lads vouching for you now! I mean, how desperate can you actually get?  ;D

orangeman

Fermanagh won't win too many matches when they don't have a free taker.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Puckoon on August 03, 2008, 05:02:02 PM
Ulster had 5 in the last 8 in 06 (maybe 04 - im not going to check) and finished with no silverware. You'd need to win something this year to make it worth anything. By the way - if monaghan beat kerry Ulster will have 3 in the last 8 also... so what?

Qtr-final lineup

Leinster - 3 - Dublin, Wexford, Kildare (but of course still the weakest province)!!!!
Munster - 2 - Cork, Kerry
Ulster - 2 - Armagh, Tyrone
Connacht - 1 - Galway

Fear an Srath Ban - Where am I saying we are brilliant or we will win the All-Ireland??? All I am saying is I hope we get Tyrone as it will be required to get a tough game which would stand us in good stead if we want to win Sam and I personally don't think they would beat us either but would provide a good test...

Dinny Breen

Firstly I would like to say again well done to Kildare, first 20 minutes aside we were by far the better of the two sides and fully deserved our win.

Secondly although I am sorry that we have adaopted a very defence orientated style and have lost our free flowing short-passing style which always provided for good entertainment however I am not sorry that we are now winning puke football games, quite simply you have to start winning before you can do anything in football. The Kerry Monaghan game had to be one of the most cynical games I ever witnessed and Kerry were by far the worst perpatrators yet they are held up as a shining light.

Thirdly I am a happy man, Kildare are still receiving no credit, todays victory will no doubt be put down as a result of Fermanaghs failings rather tham Kildares tenacious defence and a very high workrate. We missed the worst penalty in GAA History, hit the cross-bar and Pauric O'Neill should be shot for three of the worst attempts at point scoring. Despite that we still won comfortably, pulling up almost.

Fermanagh will rue those first 20, wide after wide, I gave up counting after 8 in a row. That is where they lost the game, allowing a very nervous Kildare side, you have to remember out terrible record in Croker, ease themselves into the game. Perhaps another key moment was Murphy's top class save..

Kildare are a work in porgress, we have a great chance against a cold Cork maybe this week we might get some credit, wouldn't bet on it mind.

We're really not a bad side, the live games just bring out the worst in us  :P

The future is very bright, the future is white.
#newbridgeornowhere

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 03, 2008, 05:54:41 PM
Fear an Srath Ban - Where am I saying we are brilliant or we will win the All-Ireland??? All I am saying is I hope we get Tyrone as it will be required to get a tough game which would stand us in good stead if we want to win Sam and I personally don't think they would beat us either but would provide a good test...

Fair enough DUBSFORSAM1, good luck to you, and may the better team prevail.

FermGael

Fair play to Kildare.  Earley won the game for youse.  Was immense in the second half.
You will give Cork a game of it and could provide a shock.  Very well organized and defensively sound.  If people are crying about your style of play, the means you are doing something right and winning games.

We started really well but kicked ourselves out of it in the first 10 minutes.  You could just see the confidence drain away from the Fermanagh players. After that Kildare just did the necessary and after Womble had the goal chance saved, the game was over.

The Armagh games had taken a lot out of this team and a 7 day recovery period just was not enough.  I am not to sure about this but was it not agreed that beaten provincial finalists were entitled to a 13 day break until their next game.  Not really an excuse but I just could not see one of the bigger counties being forced to play a week later if this arrangement had been agreed.  The Gaa seem to be able to free up an extra Saturday for the Dubs and Tyrone to make a few pound but when it's Fermanagh, there are no other dates available.

Was an awful way to end a campaign that really did bring Gaelic football to new heights inside Fermanagh. The management and players deserve great credit for what they have achieved this year and hopefully when they look back and reflect, they can see the progress that we are making.  We just need to unearth a forward or two.

Would also like to say to Mike Frank Russell and any other Kerry forward sub who did not get on, you can transfer to Fermanagh any time you want.  You might just get a game  ;)

The worst game of football I have ever seen

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Maguire01

Quote from: FermGael on August 03, 2008, 10:32:48 PM
I am not to sure about this but was it not agreed that beaten provincial finalists were entitled to a 13 day break until their next game. 
That would have been the case, but for the replay.