Independence Day?

Started by Zapatista, July 25, 2008, 02:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Why does the Republic of ireland not celebrate an Independence Day?

magpie seanie

This should run for a while!

There are many reasons I'd suppose and I'll jot down the first few that come to me. Some would say we haven't achieved full independence. The treaty and subsequent civil war jaundiced the view of many of the freedom that the 26 counties got. Nowadays these wouldn't be so much issues as before but a lot of people would think it a backward step to celebrate "freedom from the Brits" when we should be looking forward.

Zapatista

Ah Donagh, I liked that reply.

Donagh

mylestheslasher

Cos we aren't independant. Our constitution talks of the Ireland as being one state. Yet 6 counties are not under our juristiction. I think like Robert Emmett epitaph, we'll have to wait for full unification before that happens.

amallon

There will be one hell of a party that day.  It might need to be independence week or fortnight!
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

his holiness nb

I'm guessing 12 pages for this one.  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Zapatista

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 25, 2008, 04:28:52 PM
I'm guessing 12 pages for this one.  ;)

The old Friday evening Thread ;D

J70

Quote from: Zapatista on July 25, 2008, 02:33:11 PM

You don't think our brethren left behind in the north are resentful enough as it is? :P

Shamrock Shore

What day would be picked.

Easter Monday (nah, already a holiday)
December 21, (nah, too close to Christmas)

So unless Ireland is reunited on the first Monday in July when there is a 1% less chance of rain and high winds sometime in the future then the American concept of Independence Day (and f**k me I hated that stupid Will Smith loda flag waving shite film where it was daylight at the same time all over the wurrild) will not happen here.

I'm off to Italy tomorrow for a week so when I get back I expect to see page 20+

TacadoirArdMhacha

Be sure if it happens that the holiday's on a Monday. Friggin nothing worse than midweek bank holidays. Ya don't know if your coming or going.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on July 25, 2008, 08:53:14 PM

You don't think our brethren left behind in the north are resentful enough as it is? :P

Ahh sweet Jesus J70, have you sold yourself out that much that you would now consider an Armagh man more northernly then your clan!
FFS whats your idea of the north?
Has America addled your brain that much?!
Tbc....

pintsofguinness

You should have started a poll:
option 1:  I can't get my head out of the England's arse long enough
option 2:  I'm to busy with the house I can't afford, the cars I can't afford and the foreign holidays I can't afford to care about anything other than myself
option 3:  I'm totally ashamed of our history
option 4:  What?  It was bad enough when we had to give those rascals a state funeral - we should have left them to rot inside mountjoy for another 80 years.
option 5:  My great grandparents waved union jacks and spat at Connolly and Pearse you know
option 6:  Didn't we end all this at Ballyseedy?
option 7:  Can we do it as quietly as possible so the British won't notice?

Take it down from the mast...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Donagh on July 25, 2008, 02:44:47 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 25, 2008, 02:39:45 PM
Ah Donagh, I liked that reply.

Maybe later Zap

It might surprise people coming from a massif Blueshirt but I agree, why celebrate a partial Independence. The Treaty was most certanly correct, but it was right for that time, the time will come it might be 2010 or 3010 but it is an unstoppable force. Also which one would we celebrate, the 1916 Easter Rising, 1921, 1938, 1948 or the Establishment of the Republic of Connacht in 1798 with is Capital in Castlebar (Official name the Republic of Ireland).

Evil Genius

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 25, 2008, 03:05:17 PM
Cos we aren't independant. Our constitution talks of the Ireland as being one state. Yet 6 counties are not under our juristiction.

Effectively what you're saying is that you can't have an Irish Independence Day until we Unionists give our consent, then?

In which case, speaking on behalf of all 1 million of us  ;), I'd say there's no bloody chance any time soon. Leastways, not until you can spell it properly... :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"